CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Category hopping

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Category hopping
From: Oliver Dröse <droese@necg.de>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2015 00:12:36 +0100
Jeff & all,

can somebody help me, please? Seems I just don't get it ...

How do you know how they operated? Have you been there? Did you ask them? How do you know if their 3830 report has not been wrong (i.e. they accidentally chose M/2 as reporting category instead of M/M because they did so for the last 8 years or so)? What does a packet spot analysis tell you? Yes, maybe they were only running on 2 bands in parallel. Do you know if they didn't do mult chasing on the other bands at the same time? How do you know if they did not have any technical problems and/or transmitted on 3 or more bands at the same time (interlock problems during mult chasing, etc.)? Wouldn't you expect them to change to M/M then (if they ever started as M/2 before) to still comply with the rules and not risk a DQ? Wouldn't that be a perfect example of playing integer? Questions upon questions ...

Besides the M/M rules state: "The six contest bands *may* be activated simultanously." Re-read it. It does not say "must be activated". If you use 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 stations is certainly up to you, available equipment, available OPs, a.s.o.

Certainly a few things to think about before starting bad calls at guys who seem to have played perfectly by the rules. And please don't compare that to UT5UGR last year. He did not play by the rules. That's why he got DQ'd, easy as that. Not the case here!

Don't get me wrong. I do not argue because I might be biased as a German (I do not even know most of the OPs at CR3L) but because of missing fairness in the current discussion. You expect guys to play by the rules. They did (as far as we know). So what's wrong here? Why are you asking them for self-defence? All perfectly legal ...

73, Olli - DH8BQA

Contest, DX & radio projects: http://www.dh8bqa.de

Am 07.12.2015 um 20:08 schrieb Jeff Clarke:
If you do a spot check on CR3L on the DX Summit you will see they were never
spotted on more than two bands at a time during the whole contest weekend. If
they were really Mult-Multi wouldn't you think they would've been spotted more?
Plus they had only 7 operators, which is about what they've had in past years
when running M2X.

Now category switching isn't illegal in the rules but don't you think that
integrity is on everyone's mind after what happened last year? Maybe it should
be added to the rules just like having a bad or wide signal is.

Bad call CR3L team . Maybe you should provide an explanation like the one we
were all waiting for from UT5UGR last year. Maybe you had a good reason for
doing this?

Jeff