CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] cqcontest.net

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] cqcontest.net
From: Steve London <n2icarrl@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2016 12:41:16 -0600
I have been watching this thread unfold on Facebook since last Monday.

At first, I was unsympathetic to Braco's arguments, that he was not breaking the current rules. But, reading the rules, he was correct. It is allowed. Then I saw arguments about ethics, and the intent of what single-op, unassisted means, and I was swayed in the other direction. Then I thought about other sports, and asked myself these questions:

Name me any sport, where the serious participants don't try to get everything they can out of the current rules ?

Name me any sport, with a governing body, that doesn't update its rules yearly ?

The above two questions particularly apply to any sport with tools that involve the use of technology, be it bicycle racing, football, tennis. Contesting is particularly technology-heavy. Say what you want about "tradition", but our technology is evolving, quickly. Participants will use it. Contest sponsors need to make adjustments to either accommodate it or forbid it.

After thinking about it, my response for Braco is that use of a real-time scoreboard by a single-op, unassisted entrant, is currently allowed.

My response to contest directors and managers is: change the rules for next year so that it is not allowed in the future.

73,
Steve, N2IC

On 04/03/2016 12:42 AM, Braco OE1EMS wrote:
Hello to everyone,

i would like to hear opinion of community

Does use (wathching or watching and posting) of www.cqcontest .net web site
made single operator as assisted or not?

Since I have be warned in last WPX that monitoring competitors and their
band changes (without knowing  their freq and spotter)

could be  assisted, because it can give me idea which bands are open,  I
wonder my self is it same with this WEB Site providing same info,

watching to it, its possible to find out on which band are people generating
QSOs!

How?

73s

Braco