CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Why ARRL SSB Contest is Not My Favorite

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Why ARRL SSB Contest is Not My Favorite
From: Ktfrog007@aol.com
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 10:15:05 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

It is interesting that when I was working toward my 5BDXCC I thought the
ARRL DX contests would be a big help.  They did help initially, but I found
that overall the real DX contests, such as the CQ WPX and WW and the Russian
 contest were more helpful as time wore on.  They brought out much more
widely dispersed activity and got me over the top.

To me, that is all there is to say from my perspective.  I think  of the
ARRL DX as the North Atlantic Rim QSO Party, and if you like it, that's  fine.
 It's wrong, however, to call it an International DX Contest.

I operated both sessions this year and submitted logs, but used the CW
contest for equipment testing and did the phone because my wife was gone for
the  weekend and I could yell into the mic without disturbing her.  Also, I'm
participating in the UBA Prefix Hunt this year and need to be as active as
possible.

I personally think the ARRL, as arguably the preeminent amateur radio
organization in the world, could do much better.  If I recall correctly,  the
ARRL contest started as a test of trans-Atlantic communications back before
WW II.  I really do think that problem has been solved.

It's also true that there's a large, entrenched interest group, especially
in the NE USA, who like their favored position and never want anything to
change.

On another matter completely, I like it when contributors to this forum
give their name and call.

73,
Kermit, AB1J

In a message dated 3/6/2013 04:21:12 Coordinated Universal Time,
hankkier@aol.com writes:

1 -  almost impossible to find a run frequency without stepping on
someone's toes,  except on 10 meters

2 - poor participation numbers by DX

3 -  reduced # of country multipliers available; probably 25% less than
available  in CQWW

4 - voicebox can't handle the traffic!

5 - keep working  the same stations on the same bands that we have worked
countless times  before

6 - BORING

Some stats:

- worked 794 different  calls; 1281 total qsos

- just 133 separate stations (11%) gave me 40%  of my total QSOs - worked
those on 3 or more bands - virtually ALL of those  stations I have worked in
every contest in which I have made any effort -  BORING

- 2 or more bands, 237 (18%) stations and 60% of the  points!

Need something to increase interest, and participation, of DX  stations