CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Kids, contesting, and ham radio

To: <n4zr@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Kids, contesting, and ham radio
From: "Stan Stockton" <stan@aqity.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 08:23:56 -0500
I think the best way to get someone interested in this sport is to get
them to participate as opposed to trying to explain it and compare it to
some other sport, perhaps with future disappointment when they really
see it in action..  Obviously the GOTA stations in Field Day are a good
thing.

Perhaps one of the contest sponsors could have a multi-operator category
where all the operating is done by non-hams with a control operator.
All it would take is one "cool guy" at the local junior high to have
some interest and bring along all his friends to compete against other
schools around the country.

When I was 12 in 1966 my dad, who was a ham, showed me how to spot his
Central Electronics 100V on the HQ-170 receiver frequency and turned me
loose in the ARRL SSB DX Contest.  Almost every time I hit a pileup the
DX station said "everybody stand by for the YL" and I worked them one
after the other.  That was what hooked me on contesting before I ever
had a license.

Stan, K5GO

From: "Pete Smith N4ZR" <n4zr@contesting.com>