CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Frequency owners

To: Kenneth E.Harker <kenharker@kenharker.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Frequency owners
From: Bill Coleman <aa4lr@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 19:07:41 -0400
On Aug 22, 2005, at 10:29 AM, Kenneth E. Harker wrote:

> A little after 0130 UTC, someone came on frequency and "informed"
> me that I
> was operating on the IOTA frequency, and that I was interfering
> with one or
> two active IOTA DXpeditions who would rather be using this frequency,
> and could us contesters be so kind as to keep just this one
> frequency clear,
> seeing as how it is the IOTA frequency after all, and I wasn't on an
> island, blah, blah, blah....

I had a very different, but equally interesting story. I was S & Ping
on 40m, when I ran across 7245 kHz, where I heard a couple of
ragchewers finish up a QSO. I then got on and asked if I could use
the frequency - the fellow there, a guy named Ray who was in New
Orleans (I never did get his call), said it was OK with him.

So, I hit the button on my voice keyer. The next exchange was priceless:

Ray, "Well, I don't know about that."
Me, "What's wrong?"
Ray, "I don't really consider a contest a good use of the frequency...."
Me, "At least I was polite about it."
Ray, <laughs>

I continued to be polite and found another clear spot a little
further up the band. I figured this was a chance to show that there
are considerate contesters to be found.

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901