CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] September 1975 CQ article?

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] September 1975 CQ article?
From: Bill Tippett <btippett@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2004 09:24:54 -0400
VE7AVV wrote:
>I am looking for a copy of the September 1975 CQ article written by Dale
Hoppe and Peter Dalton entitled "The Grey Line Method of DX'ing"  If you
have this magazine in your collection, I would very appreciate a scan of
the article. Please advise by return email.  From what I understand,
this is where much of today's thinking on long-path propagation
originated.

        Paul, I have a copy of a copy, but the quality is so poor
I doubt it would scan very well.  Most of the 4-page article
deals with determining local sunrise/sunset paths at each end
of the "long path".  The essence of the article is contained in
the following paragraphs from Page 1 and Page 3:

        Exactly what is it?  The best way to describe the "Gray
Line" is to say that it is a long path opening that exists
between two points on the earth which are experiencing
simultaneous sunrise and sunset, or vice versa.  (Page 1)

When To Use It (Page 3)

        The "Gray Line" is in effect two hours a day.  One hour in
the morning--plus or minus 30 minutes from your sunrise.  And
one hour in the evening--plus or minus 30 minutes from sunset.

        Much of the rest of the article deals with some fairly crude
mechanical means of determining local sunrise and sunset.  With
the advent of PC's, and Packetcluster which can show your local
sunrise/sunset with a "SH/SU" command, and the DX station's local
sunrise/sunset with a "SH/SU ZC4" command, there is no need for
the crude mechanical methods shown in the article.

        Here are some more recent but related articles on long path:
http://users.vnet.net/btippett/long_and_skew_path_articles.htm

        Here are some graphics to help you visualize areas of "Gray
Line" for specific long path QSO's (examples are mostly 160 meters):

http://users.vnet.net/btippett/dx_aid_plots.htm

73, Bill W4ZV