CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Battle of the Cheaters

To: Jim Neiger <n6tj@sbcglobal.net>, <k-zero-hb@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Battle of the Cheaters
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 11:41:39 -0500
The heck of it is, all of these steps are readily do-able (except the
on-site referees).

There is a device called the Time Machine
(www.expandedspectrumsystems.com), which can record an 80 KHz swath of any
HF band, and costs only about $175.  Station a dozen of those around the
world, recording on VHS tape, with good receivers and omni antennas, and
you can go back to any point in the contest to check what was going on at
any frequency.

A recording, whether on tape or on computer disk, isn't an unreasonable
requirement from anyone with a claimed top-ten score in any major category.

Contest sponsors should publicly announce that they will apply and enforce
the sort of analysis that K1TTT has been doing publicly for years.  If
falsified spots turn up, clearly to the benefit of a given station, that
station owner should be asked to explain, and if the explanation doesn't
hold water, he should be DQ'ed.

The key to confronting the cheaters is to do it publicly and transparently,
with stiff penalties.

73, Pete N4ZR