CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] RIP - K3TUP - SK

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] RIP - K3TUP - SK
From: Bill and Cindy <wb0o@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 16:30:36 -0800 (PST)
It IS a very sad day.

John, K3TUP was THE motivation for me getting into radio contesting.

I grew up in Erie, Pa  (John's home), and when I was 13 y/o I got my novice
ticket
at the Radio Association of Erie license classes (John was president). That was
in 1970, and John made sure we all at least tried the Novice Round Up. I was
hooked. Several years in a row I went out to Field Day at his TV station, WJET,
where we set up amongst the incredibly tall towers (with elevators up the
middle!)
I remember calling a lot of CQ's on a mostly dead 10M AM phone band.

It's somewhat fuzzy now, but I think he had a big home station then. My mom
drove me by his house one time, just so I could see his towers/beams. All I
remember her telling me is I would NEVER EVER have one of those at home.....

I was just a kid and John was an adult, but for many, many years he was the
only "big time" contester I had ever "met", and I was so impressed. I'm still
contesting 39 years later.......

Bill   WN3PWL / WA3PWL / WB0O / KO7AA