CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] New Radios

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] New Radios
From: Tom Taormina <tom@k5rc.cc>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 15:09:49 -0700
I'm glad to hear the positive reviews of the K3. I seriously
considered it but chose a FT200D instead. The reason may not be
germane to many, but I host a lot of guest ops who cannot deal with
menu-driven radios without a long learning curve. I test drove an
Orion II last contest season and, while it is fine radio, it hasn't
got enough knobs. Having to reset the processor several times during
a contest because the scores of programmable options have been hosed
beyond recovery is not good for rate or operator enjoyment. Anyway, I
now  have a 2000D next to my FT1000MP MKV Field. The 2000 has the
three microtune units. It will be interesting to see how the radios
perform side-by-side this coming season. By next spring and more K3
reports, we'll see if I chose wisely.

Tom Taormina, K5RC
Virginia City Nevada USA
Home of NACHO - W7RN and RANN - K7RC