CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] Skimmer on SSB

To: CQ CONTEST <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Skimmer on SSB
From: "Martin Monsalvo, LU5DX" <lu5dx@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 16:34:37 -0700 (PDT)
Long    live the King
________________________________
Hi, Pete.  Those are all valid comments ... for today.  I think it might be
possible, however, to overlay a voice signal with  some sort of lower-volume
digital encoding that a Skimmer-like  application could decode, possibly with
more reliability than for CW if  the proper encoding scheme was chosen.  I'm no
expert on the digital  modes, but I believe that some of them are rather
remarkable in terms of  intelligibility in the face of interference ...
especially when they  have voice-wide bandwidths to work with.  Anyone could
rather easily  generate the combined voice/signature files for use as voice
macros, and  of course receivers could be adapted for whatever target band
segment  was desired.  It remains to be seen whether such a scheme would be
considered legal,  though, even if someone only used such a digital overlay
when
transmitting and didn't user a decoder to receive callsign information.   If I
transmit a digital signal that allows the guy on the other end to  decode my
callsign, would I be violating the rules prohibiting  cross-mode-contacts?  I
strongly suspect I would, but who knows what  future evolution of the rules
might occur for assisted categories.  Just some thoughts ...  73, Dave   AB7E

Martin, LU5DX
www.5bits.net/lu5dx
http://lu5dx.blogspot.com