CQ-Contest

CT Version 8

Subject: CT Version 8
From: gw_n5uxt@nternode.com (gw_n5uxt@nternode.com)
Date: Thu Jun 22 04:33:52 1995
Hi All!

 Our club plans on using CT 8 for Logging during Field Day this year.. I was
wondering if their is any new Data files for Version 8 for the FD?? I know
that there was once a CT mailing list but the address I have for it is
old..

Thanks in Advance..

73 de Angelo

gw_n5uxt@nternode.com

From: Frank Donovan <donovanf@sgate.com> (Frank Donovan)
Subject: radial wire

Speaking of radial wire, I need about 5000 feet of insulated wire for a new
80M 4 square array.  I'd prefer number 16 or larger.  Can anyone suggest a
source, or obtain it locally and arrange UPS shipping to me?

Thanx!
Frank
W3LPL

From: wfeidt@cpcug.org (Bill Feidt) (Bill Feidt)
Subject: Lightning.....yawn

On June 21, n6cq@paonline.com said:
>After a recent conversation with my agent, I discovered that I'm eligible for
>a LIGHTNING ROD DISCOUNT on
>my homeowners insurance! I currently have a 120'(soon to be 140') tower (with
>lightning rod) near my house that has been struck previously with NO damage.
>Several of my neighbors, on the other hand, have had TV antennas and trees
>struck and HAVE suffered damage. Since installing Josyln protectors in the
>service panel, and ICE protectors on the coax, several storms have damaged
>appliances and electronics in the neighborhood, but not in my house. I'll
>keep my ground rods, thank you.

There was an hour-long special on lightning on The Learning Channel
yesterday evening (Science Frontiers).  One of the segments dealt with
a mountain-top lightning research facility in New Mexico.  Apparently
the place is situated amidst an area known for the frequency of its
lightning strikes. Part of the work there is to test various styles of
lightning rods, side-by-side.  The on-camera staffer claimed that it was
very unusual for lightning to strike _any_ of the tested lightning rods,
despite their prominence.  Go figure.  Anyhow, it was an interesting program,
especially in light of recent discussions here.

Bill/NG3K
wfeidt@cpcug.org

From: jallen@vhfcom.com (John D. Allen) (John D. Allen)
Subject: Which vertical

Doesn't it matter what band you are considering?
(Pardon me if I don't remember the start of this thread)

I agree completely with Bill's comments below if you are talking about
40 M and up, provided you have a support for a dipole/inverted V.

But, it seems to me that 80 is dependant on the height of support you can
acheive
and 160M more so.  I know that it also depends (on 160 especially) on band
conditions - there are times when the angle is higher and dipoles do well and
times on 160 when only the guys with vertical antennas (Inv L's etc.)
get out.

Note that a 160 dipole at 60' is the same part of a wavelength above ground
as a 10M dipole at 4 feet.  I know from experience that a 160 dipole at
60' has trouble working long haul DX, although at the bottom of the sunspot
cycle almost any antenna can get out.

73, John, K1FWF

John D. Allen, jallen@vhfcom.com