CQ-Contest

Improving Contesting

Subject: Improving Contesting
From: GARLOUGH@tgv.com (Trey Garlough)
Date: Tue May 25 16:50:23 1993
> Recognize hard work and cumulative achievement
>   The bridge world does very well with this one:  Each tournament
>   event has a certain number of Master Points to award based on
>   its size and entry criteria.

W6OAT and I have talked about this at some length (he being the only
person I ever seem to talk to who is serious about both contests and
bridge) and I think this is the right approach.  This way the guys
who are always there but are never competitive on a national basis can
still get on the air and accumulate points.  Make the rule so that you
don't get the points unless your score is published in the results.
This might encourage more people to send in logs, which would be good
for a variety of reasons.  One of those reasons is that the ARRL BoD
uses the log count as a metric to determine how many members "benefit"
from the contest.

--Trey, WN4KKN