CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] No US DX Only - ARRL DX

To: "W0MU Mike Fatchett" <w0mu@w0mu.com>, "CQ Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] No US DX Only - ARRL DX
From: "David Kopacz" <david.kopacz@aspwebhosting.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 17:37:58 -0600
"All I have to say to all of this is I  hope that these sentiments do not get
out to the general population.  We depend on these folks to fill the gaps
and make Sundays bearable."

Come on Mike, you can't possibly be serious that you rely on 0 point,
non-counting QSO's to get you through a Sunday afternoon during the ARRL
International DX Contest.

Technically, it is a violation of the rules to work these stations:

ARRL International DX Contest

1 Object

1.1. W/VE amateurs work as many amateur stations in as many DXCC countries of
the world as possible on 160, 80, 40, 20, 15, and 10 meter bands.

1.2. Foreign amateurs (also including KH6, KL7, CY9, and CYØ) work as many W/VE
stations in as many of the 48 contiguous states and provinces as possible.

In fact, the scoring specifically excludes the US and Canada as a multiplier!!!

5 Scoring:

5.1. QSO Points - W/VE stations count three points per DX QSO. DX stations
count three points per W/VE QSO.

5.2. Multiplier

5.2.1. W/VE stations: Sum of DXCC entities (except US and Canada) worked per
band.

5.2.2. DX stations: Sum of US states (except KH6/KL7), District of Columbia
(DC), and Canadian provinces/territories: NB (VE1, 9), NS (VE1), QC (VE2), ON
(VE3), MB (VE4), SK (VE5), AB (VE6), BC (VE7), NWT (VE8), NF (VO1), LB (VO2),
NU (VYØ), YT (VY1), PEI (VY2) worked per band (maximum of 63 per band).
5.3. Final Score: QSO points X multipliers = final score.

It seems as though you are making a general comparison between several groups
of operators.

1) The casual contester who gets on the air to make a few hundred "correct"
QSO's and never sends in his log.

2) The DX'er who get's on the air and works a few much needed DX stations or
simply loves the thrill of a pileup.

3) The few guys that could care less about what you are doing as long as they
get what they want, your QSL card for their award.

The first two groups of people are the ones we definitely want to participate.
We also want the third group to participate, but we want them to follow the
structure (rules) of the contest.

These are clearly distinct groups of casual operators, the third being slightly
disorderly.

David ~ KY1V