CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Spotting - not

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Spotting - not
From: W0MU Mike Fatchett <w0mu@w0mu.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2017 08:14:20 -0600
Huh?

I can spot SSB or manually on VE7CC, K1TTT, W0MU etc. DX Summit is just another spotting venue.

We, cluster owners have tried to link in with as many of the manual web based sites as we can so that all spots are dumped to the cluster network.

Why would you all of a sudden get a bunch of people? It seems to me that people have filtered their spots so much that the miss lots of stuff or maybe propagation changed allowing another signal level to get through?

The clusters will only allow a duplicate spot after so many minutes so you really can't spot too much. I suppose if everyone spotted everything the system could crash from severe overload.

Please spot away folks. Those of us that went to DX locations to activate DX appreciate it.

Did all the skimmer ops stop listening on 10 meters? I heard reports that our signals were ok but very very few spots ever showed up on 10m.

W0MU

On 2/21/2017 5:12 AM, Ed Sawyer wrote:
I wanted to clarify my earlier post and offer a correction.  KE1J was indeed
also running extensively from Vermont.  So there were 2 of us.

When I say that I wasn’t spotted on DX Summit, it has NOTHING to do with RBN.  I of
course was picked up on RBN.  It obvious within 2 of 3 CQs there is a pile that dies down
after maybe 5 – 10 mins.

What I am referring to is DX Summit.  Remember DX Summit?  It’s the place that
picks up the manual spots.  Remember those.  Those are the ones you forget to do in
the SSB contest because there is no skimmer for SSB.

It was clear, and remains clear, that there is some contingent of assisted CW
ops that are not using RBN, or there are stations in areas not easily picked up
by skimmers especially as conditions drop in the current few years.

Those that doubt it, ask yourself this?   With skimmers populating bandmaps constantly, why
would you all of a sudden get what sounds like a packet cluster pileup after having been on a
frequency for over an hour?  Its because it’s a packet cluster pileup – from a
manual spot.  Which means that those in the pileup are likely old fashioned packet users.

If you are an old fashioned packet user, you might want to consider spotting
what you hear.

73

Ed  N1UR