CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] N6TJ AXIOMS OF LIFE

To: Tõnno Vähk <Tonno.Vahk@gafm.ee>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] N6TJ AXIOMS OF LIFE
From: "Jim Neiger" <n6tj@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2010 17:17:59 -0700
Oh to be young again.  I should know better, but Tonno,  I have no clue as
to your age or as to when you started this seriously.

 Having spread my "competitive from DX" over the past 43 years, let me
assure you my friend, you are having no more fun today, with all the packet
help, than I had in winning ARRL DX CW (world record), CQ WW SSB, and CQ WW
CW (world record), all in the same year(1969)

  Sure, the rates weren't there, but it actually required more skill, and
thusly was more fun/rewarding/satisfying than just sitting on a frequency
with endless CQing and pile-ups.   One can only relate to an experience by
actually doing, naturally.  Did you ever listen to KH6IJ?  Or K0DQ from XE,
1973 (I think) when he became the first ever to work 10,000 in a contest?
Or to W4KFC or W9IOP run Sweepstakes?  Poetry

"Lucky if you are in such a location..........."??  Luck has nothing to do
with it.   You just make it happen

"Packet clusters contributes hugely to the participation.............."  And
also ruins operator skills.   Again, you will have to trust me on this:
today's average operator has one-half the skill of the last generation.

But this generation today is simply "me first", what can I do to get more
QSO's, with little regard for what the future of contesting holds.   It will
soon be remote transmitters/receivers, all run by guys like CT1BOH and
ES5TV, sitting in their kitchen at home, networked computers, and won't that
be something special?

Enough of this.  Where's that Maker's Mark that my friend  F6BEE suggested I
try?

Vy 73

Jim Neiger   N6TJ