CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] Category hopping, new angle

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Category hopping, new angle
From: Jeff Clarke <ku8e@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2015 10:46:28 -0500
Mats,

The difference between M2X and MM is very slim. If you look at the PJ2T and
CR3L scores, PJ2T has about 700 more QSO's but CR3L had 80 more multipliers.
Some people don't realize that stations near Europe have a huge competitive
advantage because of the number of QSO's and multipliers available to them on
160 and 80 meters. Plus they are getting 3 points per QSO working stations that
are no further then when I work New England from my home in GA. I'm not saying
we don't have some advantage on 15 and 10 meters from the southern Caribbean
,because we do ,but I think that advantage that those in EU enjoy on the lower
bands probably evens that out.

It really irks me when people make comments like " they beat them with their
hands tied behind their back", " they out operated them" or "A MM should never
let a M2 beat them" because they don't understand this.

CR3L probably has two stations on each run band - one CQ and the other S&P.
Plus one or more multiplier stations. This is what the top multi-ops like
CN2AA, D4C and P33W are doing as well. If you don't have the operators to staff
all these stations and have the associated lockouts it's hard to be competitive.

 That's exactly the problem we have at PJ4A.  K4BAI and I have a hard time
finding operators to join us every year because CQWW falls on a week that's a
major holiday in the US - Thanksgiving.

I've operated at PJ2T a few times but the last time was 2009. I think they just
have one station per band... But I could be wrong.

73's Jeff KU8E