CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] Re: How's 'bout a DX "Sprint"? (Ron Notarius WN3VAW)

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: How's 'bout a DX "Sprint"? (Ron Notarius WN3VAW)
From: Walter O'Brien / W2WJO <w2wjo@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 15:49:00 -0500
Ron,

what a GREAT idea!!!! i really enjoy the DX contests, but can't stay at it 48 hours straight, and unless I do I'm not going to be competetive. I still have a lot of fun... but 24 hours, I could manage that!.

Heck, I was just brainstorming with an old friend a few months back, talking about starting a fun contest, the next day I stumbled into some other guys doing the same but a few big steps ahead of us, and they needed reps in my state, so we signed up, and the Mid-Atlantic QSO Party began to grow, and the response has been incredible...

It CAN be done, with or without the help of CQ or ARRL, but I think for a DX 24 hour thing their help would be useful. Personally, I think it should be completely separate, a whole new contest... plenty of room for another great DX contest.... IMHO

Good luck with it, if you start keeping a list, put me on it!!!!

73, Walter W2WJO
future top scorer, WN3VAW DX Sprint <G>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 21:45:19 -0500
From: "Ron Notarius WN3VAW" <wn3vaw@fyi.net>
To: "CQ Contest" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] How's 'bout a DX "Sprint"?
Message: 2

We've been discussing the pros and cons of shorter contests-within-a-contest
in one form or another for years. And while I can see both sides of the
argument, bottom line appears to be echoed in Larry K2GN's post: "Isn't the
purpose of this hobby to have FUN??"

So rather than continuing to argue in the abstract, here's a thought to
ponder:

Why not add a 24 hour "DX Sprint" contest within the annual ARRL DX
Contests?

One way it could work would be like this:

(a) All rules of the ARRL DX Contests must be followed in full.
(b) Certificates awarded as per the full blown contest (ie certificates for
each ARRL/RAC section and so forth) but no plaques -- KISS principle here
(c) Only single operator categories allowed at the standard 3 power levels.
If you want to run multi op, then your team can schedule yourselves for the
full 48 hour period. (What about assisted, you ask? Good question. I
leave that open for the moment. Ditto SO2R)
(d) 24 hour period runs from 1200 Z Saturday through 1200 Z Sunday of the
contest weekend. No picking & choosing.

Let's not forget that unfortunately, many of us who are capable of running
the full 48 hours may not be able to free up the time, between work and
family obligations. But many of us in this situation can schedule a 24 hour
block. So why not find a way to give the time-limited ops an incentive to
go for 24 hours, rather than saying "oh well, I'll get on for a few hours
and work a few guys just to get my call out there, why bother with any
more?"

Just a thought...

73, ron wn3vaw

Some people are only alive because it is illegal to shoot them
(From "The Top 17 Bumper Stickers You Would Like To See")

--------------------------------------------------------------- The world's top contesters battle it out in Finland! THE OFFICIAL FILM of WRTC 2002 now on professional DVD and VHS! http://home1.pacific.net.sg/~jamesb/ ---------------------------------------------------------------