CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] DXBase 97 -- Getting Even Better!...or worse?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] DXBase 97 -- Getting Even Better!...or worse?
From: tgstewart@pepco.com (tgstewart@pepco.com)
Date: Tue Jun 24 18:18:53 1997
Well, DXBase already has some of the most inconvenient, restrictive copy
protection around, so I aint buyin' that argument.

I'm sure they would have wanted $15 or $25 to issue a new 4.5 registered to
my new call, K3MM vs my old one KF3P.  Forget it!
...and how about when I use my other callsigns, such as V2?  Can I create a
new fully functional unrestricted log for that callsign without yet another
copy of DXbase?  ...I dont think so.

73, Tyler K3MM

patd@eskimo.com on 06/24/97 11:07:20 AM

To:   Tyler G Stewart/BENN/CEC, cq-contest@contesting.com
cc:
Subject:  RE: [CQ-Contest] DXBase 97 -- Getting Even Better!

Given the number of "pirated" (read stolen) copies of
software I see floating around Ham Shacks is it any wonder
the little guys who do it as a small business/hobby need to
charge for everything?  I'm not saying some of the vendors
don't overcharge, but I can't believe that the
pirating/theft doesn't discourage lots of talented
programmers from even developing a product much less
encourage them to be generous with their support and the
"minor" upgrades.  How many guys do you know with $10K+ in
gear (a very wimpy station these days) who are running
pirated software that costs $70 when purchased legally?
If you're going to cater to Hams for software you can only
do it because you love it, not because you think you're
going to get rich... even the hardware vendors are on the
edge in terms of making a living.  Every time a copy gets
pirated/stolen it makes it that much more likely we won't
have the software we want.  It's really amazing, if someone
rips-off a $70 microphone we want to throw the SOB in jail
(or worse), yet when someone steals a $70 contesting
program the next guys says "Can I have a copy of that too?"

Patrick
WA7VNI
patd@wolfenet.com