CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] Duty cycle and rating of power line

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Duty cycle and rating of power line
From: Ken.Silverman@zool.AirTouch.COM (Ken.Silverman@zool.AirTouch.COM)
Date: Sun Sep 21 22:07:12 1997
Ken Silverman@AIRTOUCH
09/21/97 09:07 PM

I'm still working on a few details for our upcoming 6Y4A M/M expedition in
the CQ WW CW contest, and would appreciate some comments on the following:

If we have a 220v line with a 20 amp rating ( or any other kind of line),
how much radio equipment can I put on this line?

Assume that we are running CW at 150-200/hr...

 If an amp is rated at 10 amps at 220v, is that at 100% duty cycle (key
down for long periods)?  For CW contesting what is a reasonable assumption
of duty cycle? And can I use that estimate to reasonably load up the line
to its limit (I will not hold anyone liable for their comments!).

So if I have a 20 amp line (and the household wires are of correct rating),
can I put on 2 amplifiers, each  with a 10 amp rating, and also run the 2
radios with a few amps each, off the same 220v line? ... thus the total
equipment on the 20 amp line would be rated at 25-30 amps (with X% duty
cycle)...

Is this pushing things a bit far?

Many thanks for your comments,

Kenny K2KW

BTW, we will have a fire extinguisher nearby! ;-)