CQ-Contest

Anybody on P4 in CQ WW CW?

Subject: Anybody on P4 in CQ WW CW?
From: Ken_Silverman_at_Wiget_Lane@atlas.ccmail.PacTel.COM (Ken_Silverman_at_Wiget_Lane@atlas.ccmail.PacTel.COM)
Date: Thu Nov 18 18:15:55 1993
I was just looking at the CQ WW CW list from Europe, and it seems that no one
will be operating from P4 - Aruba.  Is anybody operating from there?  Could
this be the first major contest in years without a P4 entry?

Ken, WM2C

From: Eugene Walsh <0004504465@mcimail.com> (Eugene Walsh)
Subject: MORE CK PARTIAL

Sorry to continue this, but the "Problem" FOX described is just
what I find so attractive.  The fact that you can turn Check
Partial on and leave it on while S&Ping is really a major asset.

We rarely use it while running, and I did find it annoying at
first to have to turn it off.  After a few times it was no
problem.  Being able to turn it on and leave it on while
searching was really a super good feature.  It worked flawlessly
and the keystroke update feature was really appreciated.
I will use it again and always from now on, except during runs
where I dont use it much anyway.

We always use call or country mode in runs for passing.

I found this feature the most utile recent change. Bravo!

73  N2AA Gene
P.S.  The definition of Super Check Partial is that it uses Master.dat
Regular CP aleays did check your entire log.  No Master.dat; No SCP.

From: Randy A Thompson <K5ZD@world.std.com> (Randy A Thompson)
Subject: pirated software

On Thu, 18 Nov 1993 wmhein@aol.com (AA6TT) wrote:

> How about the contest organizers supplying the callsigns of stations
> submitting .BIN files to K1EA Software, with similar info forwarded to
> NA/K3LR and N6TR.  The software companies could then send postcards to
> unregistered users gently suggesting they become registered users.

Finally, an idea that is simple, elegant and puts the burden of trying to
police the problem in the hands of the ones who have the motivation to do it!

One question - is it possible to always tell the logging program used
just from the print out (disk file submitted)?

Randy, K5ZD

From: Randy A Thompson <K5ZD@world.std.com> (Randy A Thompson)
Subject: DVP Usage

On Thu, 18 Nov 1993, Smith, Pete wrote:

> As an early purchaser (and reviewer, in NCJ) of the K1EA DVP, I've been
> surprised and somewhat disappointed by the apparent lack of use of the
> "callsign-voicing" function by stations on the air.  In fact, my very
> sporadic use of this feature is the ONLY use I can personally recall.  So I
> thought I'd use this forum to ask the opinions of big guns and little
> pistols alike:
>
>  - Have you used the feature?   If not, why not?

No.  Except the first contest after I got it.  Sounded so bad that I
never really took it seriously.  It takes too much time and disk space to
make it sound any good.  Although, when I did 48 hours straight at VE3EJ
in ARRL Phone in 1992, I would have killed for the capability on Sunday
afternoon.

>  - Any hints on improving the intelligibility of "voiced" call-signs? <I've
> had a hard time recording the separate phonetics and numbers in the right
> intonation so that they sound half-way natural when strung together>.

Record every prefix that you think will come up.  And every double letter
combination.  Like I said, lots of disk space.

>  - Any known plans by K1EA (or anyone else) to improve the software or
> firmware to make this feature more usable? <Ken was talking at one point
> about enabling users to record a set of "last letters" with a falling
> intonation so as to sound more natural>

Have you noticed how much more "normal" the recorded voices the telpehone
company has now sound?  The algorithms exist in the world and are
improving.  But I don't think they handle the range of combinations we
are asking for on a PC platform.

It's still a good idea.  Just needs more computer power and more software
(the answer to all modern life questions)!

Randy, K5ZD

From: Jack Fleming <oolon@eskimo.com> (Jack Fleming)
Subject: CN2JF CQWW SSB Score

After arriving in Rabat and finding that the club's Log Periodic has a SWR
of 6 on 20 meters and there are no 80 or 160 meter antennas at the club
station, I decided to do single band 15 meters instead of all bands.

I had a great time.  Operated from around 7 AM to 7 PM each day (though
waiting for the city bus from the hotel to the station on Sunday morning
lost about 1/2 hour of early morning Pacific multiplier hunting...).  I
noticed that the pile ups are not as deep with 100 watts to the log
periodic as they were in 1990 with a KW to monobanders (with CN0A).  But
plenty of action.

I ran stations almost exclusively.  Also stopped each day to have lunch.
My kind of contesting!

The highlight of the weekend was calling AP5N and having him come back
with, "Jack?"  It was Jacky, F2CW, who had seemingly dropped off the end
of the earth for the past couple years.

The final (unofficial - I just finished entering my paper logs into CT)
tally:

   2033 Qs
 -   94 Dupes  :-(
   ----
   1939 Good Qs
     30 Zones
    104 Countries

   774,520 points

Anyone who worked CN2JF or CN2JR on 40 or 80 meters was probably
working a slim.  I've received some QSLs for both CN2JF and CN2JR on
those bands, but it wasn't me...

Jack Fleming, WA0RJY, CN2JF, CT1/WA0RJY       oolon@eskimo.com
20148 6th Avenue NE
Seattle, WA  98155                            DON'T PANIC!

From: Jack Fleming <oolon@eskimo.com> (Jack Fleming)

On Thu, 18 Nov 1993 Ken_Silverman_at_Wiget_Lane@atlas.ccmail.PacTel.COM wrote:

> I was just looking at the CQ WW CW list from Europe, and it seems that no one
> will be operating from P4 - Aruba.  Is anybody operating from there?  Could
> this be the first major contest in years without a P4 entry?
>
> Ken, WM2C

Maybe not.  The DX Bulletin (#712) says W2GD will be on all bands as P40W...

Jack Fleming, WA0RJY                          oolon@eskimo.com
20148 6th Avenue NE
Seattle, WA  98155                            DON'T PANIC!