CQ-Contest

More checks worked in ss

Subject: More checks worked in ss
From: price@cod.nosc.mil (price@cod.nosc.mil)
Date: Tue Nov 9 11:34:21 1993
>That was N3CZB with a check of 21. I asked him for a confirmation. Gave me a
>very low number on Sunday morning. A weak signal on 20 meters as I recall, but
>he was readable. I was told that there was someone giving out a check of 19.
>Could have been a club station.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned W1OP's check of 19 yet.  And that's for
real, I believe--I mean a person, not a club.

--Jim, K6ZH

From: oo7@astro.as.utexas.edu (Derek Wills) (Derek Wills)

        I'm surprised no one has mentioned W1OP's check of 19 yet.  And
        that's for real, I believe--I mean a person, not a club.

        --Jim, K6ZH

It shows as a radio club in the callbook, Jim.

Another useful exercise might be to look at the distribution of ages
of contesters in other countries.  The exchange in the JA contests
includes the op's age, and it's my impression that the average number
sent by JAs, UA0s etc. is in the low 30s, but I haven't checked that.

I'm never sure whether to use 87 as my check (year of my US license)
or 63 (my G one).

Derek AA5BT

From: alan@dsd.es.com (Alan Brubaker) (Alan Brubaker)

I think that the SS rules specify that the check is the last two digits of
the year that you were first licensed in, no matter where it was, even if
there was an interim lapse of activity or an unlicensed period of time.
Not that it matters that much. I think that there are quite a few
university club stations that were licensed in the teens.

Alan, K6XO

alan@dsd.es.com

"Life's too short for QRP."  -  N6TU

From: Scott E. Parker" <SLP9M@cc.usu.edu (Scott E. Parker)

>I'm surprised no one has mentioned W1OP's check of 19 yet.  And that's for
>real, I believe--I mean a person, not a club.

>> call w1op
Call-Sign: W1OP
Real Name: (N\A -TR) PROVIDENCE RAD ASSN INC
Mailing Address: 2453 CRANSTON ST, CRANSTON, RI  02920
Valid From: APR 5, 1991             To: JAN 0, 1999
Records Last Processed: APR 5, 1991

                        Scott E. Parker    WA7VYJ
                Center for Atmospheric and Space Sciences
             Utah State University      Logan, UT 84322-4405
   Internet: sparker@coquina.cass.usu.edu   sparker@cedar.hao.ucar.edu
Twisted pair: 801-750-2975 (USU)  801-750-2992 (FAX)  801-753-3924 (home)