CQ-Contest

Networked Contest Software

Subject: Networked Contest Software
From: wmhein@aol.com (wmhein@aol.com)
Date: Fri Nov 19 20:30:24 1993
From:  WmHein
Subj:  Re: CT Networking

The lastest version of the N6TR contest logging software handles networking
with only one serial port per computer. Have not tried it here, but KH6/N6VI
and VK9LI used it multi-op in the recent CQ WW SSB contest.

Bill AA6TT

From: oo7@astro.as.utexas.edu (Derek Wills) (Derek Wills)
Subject: QSL habits

        >>Imagine: We meet in the next contest and I send you the info:
            >>599001 PSE QSL CRD 73 DE IK2RMZ

        >>What's ur reaction?

My reaction would be "why is this lid wasting my time starting
a conversation with me when all I need to hear is 599001?"

I would not send a QSL card, but would happily reply if I
received one.

        2nd question:
        Would you interpret the phrase
            599001 PSE QSL 73 DE IK2RMZ
        to be identical to the phrase above?

No - in this case I would assume that you want me to confirm
that I have your call correct, and I would send "IK2RMZ tu QRZ?"

I'm sure you wanted honest answers -

Derek AA5BT

From: Jim Hollenback <jholly@hposl42.cup.hp.com> (Jim Hollenback)

> Imagine: We meet in the next contest and I send you the info:
>     599001 PSE QSL CRD 73 DE IK2RMZ
>
> What's ur reaction?

complete, absolute disbelief...W6 cards are like italian cards...

> 2nd question:
> Would you interpret the phrase
>     599001 PSE QSL 73 DE IK2RMZ

IK2RMZ ur 599001 tnx, QRZ?

I will generally QSL the foreign contacts made during a contest via bureau.
If you send me a card via bureau, I will qsl via bureau. If you really are
hard up for a W6 and send me an SAE and IRC's I will return your card via
air mail.

If you work a station you need, and especially if it is a serious contest
effort on part of the ops/operator, asking for a route or a card quite
well will be answered "I don't QSL, QRZ?". They simply don't want to take the
time to give out the info during the contest.  I heard this exact exchange
for a country I needed. worked the guy on 5 bands. But I read in a DX rag
that this station was a U.S. operator and gave his home call. My cards and
a SASE got back his QSL in a couple weeks.

Jim, WA6SDM

From: Timothy Bradley Totten <kj4vh@coplex.com> (Timothy Bradley Totten)
Subject: CT bug?

I haven't fully tested this, but there appears to be a bug in CT
regarding scoring for /MM QSOs.  Consider this scenario:

I'm at VS6WO.  I haven't worked any ZAs on 20 yet, but I'm called by
ZA1TT/MM, who gives me a 59 15.  As far as I can tell, CT counts this as
a ZA mult, and gives me three points for the Q.  Now, if I later work a
real ZA on 20, this becomes an academic argument, but if I'm not so
lucky, CT still gives me the mult!

Now suppose our hero, ZA1TT/MM, is operating from zone 24 in the above
scenario.  He gives me a 59 24 report, which I dutifully log.  In this
case, CT STILL gives me three points for the Q, when I should only get
one, since we're in the same continent.

Either I'm really confused, or there is some problem here.  I was just
playing with this tonite using CT 8.40, but I believe I noticed the same
results using 8.44 at VS6WO's QTH.  Anyone else have this problem?

  Tim Totten, KJ4VH         Home tel +1-502-239-6486
  kj4vh@coplex.com          Home fax +1-502-239-7766

From: Trey Garlough <GARLOUGH@TGV.COM> (Trey Garlough)
Subject: FW: CN2JF CQWW SSB Score

> Friday afternoon before the contest but that was it.  I also think I was
> the only Morocco station on during the contest - maybe not, but I would
> think someone over there would have mentioned another CN2 contesting...

I heard some CN station all weekend on 40 meters from the part of Morocco
I was in (EA9).  Don't remember his call but I assumed he was single band
40.

--Trey, WN4KKN/6

From: Trey Garlough <GARLOUGH@TGV.COM> (Trey Garlough)
Subject: SprINT

> Hope all the people with American Airlines tickets make it to their
> DX locations for the WW CW.  I know several people who may be stranded
> and end up in the USA instead of some rare DX location.  My prayers
> are with you and I hope it works out.  K6NA may not make it to 9Y4.
> Maybe the people with the best travel agent will be in the top spots
> this year.
>
> 73 Tree N6TR (soon to be TI1C)

And you thought the hard part of doing single op was figuring out which
band to be on at sunrise ...

I'm gambling that things will be better (replacement workers or strike
settled) later than sooner, so I pushed my 7:30 AM SFO departure back
from today (Saturday) to Wednesday.  If revenue makes a difference
(probably not), I would think they would allocate some of the few flight
attendants available to that 100% booked 767 from SFO to Miami that morning.

Continenal flies to Quito, but I would have to take a red-eye from California
to Newark, NJ, and connect to a flight that would make stops in W5 and HP
on the way to HC1.  Bzzzt.  Forget it.

The good news is that the flight from Miami to Quito is one that American
acquired from Eastern, and all those flight attendants are still in the
Eastern Airlines flight attendant union, which is *not* on strike, so with
any luck at least I should be stranded in Miami for the contest.  If the
flight from SFO doesn't depart Wednesday morning (with people on it), I
will do some kind of all band effort from the states.

Trey, WN4KKN/6 (soon to be HC5N, maybe)

From: Jack Fleming <oolon@eskimo.com> (Jack Fleming)
Subject: CN2JR on 40 in CQWW SSB

On Sat, 20 Nov 1993, Trey Garlough wrote:

> > Friday afternoon before the contest but that was it.  I also think I was
> > the only Morocco station on during the contest - maybe not, but I would
> > think someone over there would have mentioned another CN2 contesting...
>
> I heard some CN station all weekend on 40 meters from the part of Morocco
> I was in (EA9).  Don't remember his call but I assumed he was single band
> 40.
>
> --Trey, WN4KKN/6

That sounds good.  I heard you a couple times and tried a few calls, but
no luck.  EA9 was VERY weak in Rabat on 15 and I never listened on 40.
So maybe there was someone else.  Will the real 40 meter op please stand up!

73 Jack

Jack Fleming, WA0RJY                          oolon@eskimo.com
20148 6th Avenue NE
Seattle, WA  98155                            DON'T PANIC!