CQ-Contest

still not N4BO - ss m/s

Subject: still not N4BO - ss m/s
From: EDWOODS@PACTIME1.SDCRC.PacBell.COM (EDWOODS@PACTIME1.SDCRC.PacBell.COM)
Date: Mon Nov 22 09:36:13 1993
Well, it looks like my discussion about NV6O vs N4BO had some effect.

We ran multi operator in ss phone and my operators who are not infected
with internetitis turned around and gave me several funny stares when
you guys answered with N4BO.  I love it!!!!

Hi back to everyone who greeted me when I was asleep Sunday AM.

I think my station has reached its physical limit of about 1500 q's
when using only one radio.  Now to figure out CT number reservation
(version 9.?) and how to use ICE filters and coax stubs and how to
convince my chief activity chairperson to put up a temporary (?)
antenna support on deck next to the pool for a low tribander.

We thought about it this year, but it didn't come about.

                1496 X Sweep

Ops: AA6LB, KF6A, KN6OX, KJ6TC, N6SNO, NV6O

Some operator training but just during what we considered low risk
periods.

What a fun weekend - Go AGGIES!! (UC/Davis)

Eric, NV6O (?)

OK - so we didn't listen to the SV section nickname poll majority.
All the hot SV ops (including alumnus K7SS{as K7JCA/6} said

                "SUGAR VICTOR"

It worked great - hardly any fills requested

From: Trey Garlough <GARLOUGH@TGV.COM> (Trey Garlough)
Subject: Can SS contacts be used for awards like WAS?

> "Connonical"  ?
> Your use of obscure terms keeps me happily thumbing through my Webster's.
> This one isn't listed.
> What is it ?

A typo (I was up too early).  The word I meant to use was canonical, which
means "officially approved, authoritative, orthodox."

--Trey, WN4KKN

From: Jim Reisert AD1C  22-Nov-1993 1226 <reisert@wrksys.enet.dec.com> (Jim
Reisert AD1C 22-Nov-1993 1226)
Subject: SS Score - AD1C single-op, B class

      Call: AD1C                     Country:
      Mode: SSB                      Category: Single Operator

      BAND     QSO    QSO PTS   SECTIONS
     -----------------------------------
       80        5       10        -
       40       33       66        -
       20      156      312        -
       15      119      238        -
       10       10       20        -
     -----------------------------------
     Totals    323      646       73

               Score:  47,158

Power Output: 1500 watts     Hours of operation: 3.4

Fooled around Sunday afternoon between 1900-2200Z from KC1XX's place.
Missed 4 pretty easy sections: SNJ, DEL, ARK and PQ.  Started on 10 meters
(where I worked K0PP in MT and about 9 stations in CO), QSYed down and had
all W1 sections before I even got to 40 meters! Probably should have tuned
20 meters more to get those last few sections.  Oh well.  KC1XX couldn't
believe how fast I was racking them up.

Heard a few stations using the DVP to send the report.  Wish I had thought
of that! ;-)

73 - Jim AD1C

From: Jim Reisert AD1C  22-Nov-1993 1256 <reisert@wrksys.enet.dec.com> (Jim
Reisert AD1C 22-Nov-1993 1256)
Subject: VI9XN, Christmas I.

Bob, W5KNE called me last night to let me know he would be using an unusual
prefix during his visit to VK9X, Christmas I.  He indicated that he would
probably first be on the air Sunday, 11/28 and would probably start on 40
CW, since that's the easiest antenna to get up.  He'll be running 400W.

Since it takes a new CTY file a couple of days to propagate to the various
distribution points, I thought I'd make sure people knew about this one
ahead of time, so as not to miss a good multiplier.

There are two ways to fix the CTY file:

1.  Edit the CQWW.CTY file with an ASCII text editor (not a Word Processor),
    and change the VK9X line to read:

        Christmas I.:             29:  VK9X:  AX9X,VK9X,VI9X;

2.  While running CT, type this into the callsign field:

        VI9X=VK9X

The following excerpt is from The Ohio/Penn Dx PacketCluster DX Bulletin No.
136:

"VI9X, CHRISTMAS ISLAND. Bob, W5KNE (editor of QRZ DX), reports he will
 be using a special event call sign of VI9XN (not VK9XN as first
 announced) to commemorate the 350th anniversary of the naming of Christmas
 Island by Captain Mynors of the East India Company ship "Royal Mary". He
 will be there November 27-December 15. Bill, VK4CRR, will also join him
 as VK9XO, from December 1-11. QSL VI9XN to W5KNE. QSL VK9XO to VK4CRR."

73 - Jim AD1C