CQ-Contest

Can SS contacts be used for awards like WAS?

Subject: Can SS contacts be used for awards like WAS?
From: ames@nebula.decnet.lockheed.com (ames@nebula.decnet.lockheed.com)
Date: Mon Nov 22 16:25:00 1993
I know this is a dead issue, but only if you get a QSL card &
it's a "new" state.  Odvious, of course.  and for RST, my
understanding is that for contests all RSTs are 59/599 unless
explicitly stated.  Since that is not part of the "official"
contest exchange, nothing else can be reported unless also
explicitly stated.  From the database of my own experiences,
which may not be that great, ONLY a DX op would ever give anything
other than a 59/599 report DURING a contest.  Only a DX op would
start asking PSE QSL CRD in the QSO, even with my ultra-low rates
I would assume this some request PSE QSL RST.  This is not to imply
such actions are wrong, but rather illogical to the whole contest
intent - and thus smacks of surrealism to the frenetic frenzy of
the moment in question.  Thus, the real question is should
anyone ask for a QSL card in any manner related to a contest if
they do not submit their scores, even for log checking?
I think not.

73 alan, N2ALE/6

Internet: ames@nebula.decnet.lockheed.com
Packet:        N2ALE@N0ARY.#NOCAL.CA.USA.NA
VoiceMail:(408)-742-6859
STAPLES LAW (1993) -also applies to managers and other things-
"Always have one more computer than you need. That way,
when one of them dies, youUll have exactly the right number."

From: jlgiasi@umassmed.UMMED.EDU (John L. Luigi Giasi) (John L. Luigi Giasi)
Subject: SS Check and Section Analysis

I did a bit of log crunching and sorted these tidbits out of my
SS log..

NOTE: The lists are not related horizontally. (I just pasted them
so you wouldn't have to read a wicked long email.)

The left hand list is two columns the check year, preceded by the
number of times they appeared in my log.

The right hand list is a list of the sections worked preceded by the
number of occurences.

(The second list is more useful for contesters, but the first one
was the reason I started playing; it was only fair that i include it.)

I was thinking it would be neat to get a feel for the # and ranking
of available section-QSOs (and potentially check_year-QSOs) vs. ham
population etc etc.. so I may be begging for log extracts to play
with... (wanna try to de-emphasize the geo bias etc etc etc).

As always thoughts/comments email to me directly, I will followup to
the net in a few days if the situation warrants.

Enjoy..
73 de Luigi, AA1AA

        A Non-Scientific Sampling Listing of Check Year and
       Section Frequency in 1993 SSB SS - AA1AA - 22 Nov 93

             # Check Year         #  Section
             1 13                 91 OH
             3 19                 85 MI
             1 23                 64 IL
             1 25                 58 VA
             1 27                 47 EMA
             4 31                 43 WNY MN
             1 32                 42 IN
             3 33                 40 WI EPA
             5 34                 38 NTX CT
             4 35                 35 NC ENY LAX
             5 36                 32 NNJ
             6 37                 31 TN GA
             6 38                 29 MDC
             6 39                 27 WPA
             3 40                 26 SCV
             4 41                 24 WWA STX
             1 42                 23 KY AZ
             4 46                 22 CO
            12 47                 21 ON MO
             9 48                 20 KS
            10 49                 18 SNJ ORG
            18 51                 17 WMA SV NLI NH IA
            19 52                 16 SFL SDG ORE
             8 53                 15 OK
            31 54                 14 SJV AL
            24 55                 13 SB AR
            37 56                 12 NFL
            38 57                 11 LA
            39 58                 10 WY NV NE
            40 59                  9 SC NM MT
            29 60                  8 SK EWA BC
            32 61                  7 WV WTX MS ID AB
            52 62                  6 SF RI ME DE
            40 63                  5 VT UT SD PQ EB
            32 64                  4 ND MAR
            29 65                  3 MB