CQ-Contest

slow exchanges

Subject: slow exchanges
From: rossi@VFL.Paramax.COM (rossi@VFL.Paramax.COM)
Date: Wed Jun 29 15:32:20 1994
->Chris KU4A says:
->>
->> gets corrupted to:
->>
->> CQer: CQ Field Day from W4XYZ
->> caller: W1XYZ
->> CQer: W1XYZ go ahead
->> caller: 2A my-state
->> CQer: roger 2A KY QSL?
->> caller: roger, good luck and have fun
->> CQer: CQ Field Day from W4XYZ
->>
->
->Or, the caller who give the exchange on the initial call:
->
->CQer: CQ Field Day from W4XYZ
->caller: W1ABC 2A North New Jersey
->CQer: W1ABC 2A KY QSL?
->caller: roger, good luck and have fun
->CQer: QSL, CQ Field Day from W4XYZ

But more often than not, it's more like:

CQer: CQ Field Day from W4XYZ
caller: W1XYZ
CQer: W1XYB go ahead
caller: 2A my-state and my call is W1XYZ ZULU ZEE ZULU.  QSL?
CQer: Is that XYC?
caller: Negative.  ZULU ZEBRA  X-RAY YANKEE ZULU
CQer: Roger XYZ.  What was your section?
caller: my-state my-state  2A my-state
CQer: Sorry I missed that.  Your section again?
caller: my-state my-state MY-STATE!
CQer: Thanks good luck and have fun.
caller: What was MY report? and your call again?
CQer: Oh! Sorry. 16A other-state  from W4XYZ
caller: Thank you...  Oops, sorry, we worked before.
CQer: CQ Field Day from W4XYZ

Do the above on CW and it is amazing that you make any contacts at all :-)

-----

Pete Rossi - WA3NNA
rossi@vfl.paramax.com
Unisys Corporation - Government Systems Group
Valley Forge Engineering Center - Paoli, Pennsylvania

From: Trey Garlough <GARLOUGH@TGV.COM> (Trey Garlough)
Subject: FW: what i did during field day

> I have tried the same thing, and want to congratulate you and the
> other contesters on this reflector for the high rates and large
> number of FD QSO's.  I have tried it on 40m and 80m from home,
> with rates as high as 150 / hr.  However, I get so fed up with the
> "hey there <hiccup> OM,  please copy my uh, uh, uh, # Alpha,
> zz section, gord head" type of exchanges.
>
> How do you guys/gals tolerate it?  Just stoke more 807's on the
> coals??

This is not a problem limited to Field Day.  Same thing is true if
you operate a contest like ARRL SSB or CQWW SSB from Latin America --
the lid patrol is out and about and they are part of the event.
The guys who deal with it and keep their cool do better than those
who don't.  N6KT has mastered this skill.

--Trey, WN4KKN/6