CQ-Contest

The Sultans of Shwing want YOU!

Subject: The Sultans of Shwing want YOU!
From: KA9FOX@aol.com (KA9FOX@aol.com)
Date: Tue Jul 19 14:41:34 1994
Always dreamed of having the power and prestige of being one of the Sultans
of Shwing?  Well, here is your chance.

The Sultans of Shwing (SOS) are currently forming teams for the upcoming
August NAQP North American QSO Parties (August 6 - CW, August 20 - SSB, both
1800z - 0600z).

There are no georgraphy limits to being a Sultan... as long as you are in
North America, you can have a Shwinging good time with the Sultans of Shwing!
 To hold a coveted place on a Sultan team, please drop me an e-mail
(ka9fox@aol.com) with the following:

1)  Your Call.
2)  The Call you will be using for the contest.
3)  Which contest (or both).
4)  If you are gonna be SERIOUSLY kickin' some butt, or if
    it will be a casual effort.
5)  Your e-mail address.

I will e-mail everyone a team roster before each contest.

And remember, no GAS, NITRO, SMOKE, SMASH, MULTIPLE ALPHAs, SOUP or even
CHILI (urp!).  This is strictly a 150 watt (or is it 100w?) affair.  FT-1000
owners, kindly reduce output power accordingly. Thank yew!

73 Scott KA9FOX
Sultan of Shwing
ka9fox@aol.com

From: Steve Harrison <sharriso@sysplan.com> (Steve Harrison)
Subject: THE BIG BOMB

I believe the real reason NITRO is not so common anymore has to do with
both the fact that the 1500 watt limit equates to twice as much output
power as most people could get from a well-built Class C CW amp back in
the "good ole days", and also because knowledge of how to build those
amplifiers is relatively uncommon among the guys who really would want to
use one. If you really want one, you're probably able to afford to pay
someone to build it rather than do it yourself. Then, too, surplus/used
parts for NITRO are not cheap nor easy to find, certainly nowhere near as
easy to obtain as 20 to 30 years ago. Steve, KO0U/4

From: Steve Harrison <sharriso@sysplan.com> (Steve Harrison)

> On Tue, 19 Jul 1994, KEVIN - WA8ZDT wrote:
> >
> > By now most of the used 4-1000's and 3-1000Z's are old and gasious.  That
> > leaves you with purchasing new one of the modern external anode tubes.
>
> What's wrong with going solid state? I've seen some QRP rigs that use
> four 2n2222s in parallel for around 2W output.... Pete "Is he smiling?"
> Hardie ve5va

Hey, haven't you guys seen those new, cheap 4CX1600A Russian driver tubes
yet? Steve, KO0U/4

From: Skelton, Tom" <TSkelton@engineer.clemsonsc.NCR.COM (Skelton, Tom)
Subject: FW: K7SS QRP? (NOW:  sign ur postings pse!)

 ----------
From: owner-cq-contest
To: CQ-CONTEST
Subject: K7SS QRP?

<del comment about K7SS in ETO ad>

I wish everyone would at least sign their call to the postings.  Lots of us
are
"mailer challenged" and have no idea who posted something.  thanks!
73,Tom WB4iUX (Tom.Skelton@ClemsonSC.NCR.COM)

From: Skelton, Tom" <TSkelton@engineer.clemsonsc.NCR.COM (Skelton, Tom)
Subject: FW: WHAT'S THE SOLUTION???

Just got back on here and read the pileup on GAS!

IT IS A MAJOR PROBLEM IN CONTESTING !

<del>
73  Danny K7SS
K7SS @ MCI.COM

 ----------

2 more cents worth, and my last...

This power/gas/nitro/soup thread has been very enlightening
and interesting to me.   I had assumed that MM or MS stations
simply HAD to follow the power limit or THE WORD would get
out about them and their reputation would be tarnished.  I really
didn't know there was a problem with this in major contesting
circles.  The stations that I know that do run a big "soup bone"
are absolutely not contesters!

I am still far more impressed at the big aluminum and steel
structures that open and close the band than I am at the big
amps that add a few dB.  Anybody with money can buy a big
amp.  It takes a helluva lot more to put up several rotating towers
and stacks!

From: Steve Fraasch <sfraasch@ATK.COM> (Steve Fraasch)
Subject: No Amp Req'd

To the "No Amp Required" Crowd:

What does K7SS leaning on an Alpha have to do with whether he runs QRP ?
 Are the two mutually exclusive?  The point of the advertisement is that
running an amp makes it easy (or possible, as I'll explain shortly) to work
stations.  That's all.  I bet that 100% of you would endorse a Corvette as
the best way to get to work (when a Geo will do), given the opportunity.
 All of us would.

Why do hams care so much about what other hams do or own?

Basically, it boils down to contempt for those who have, by those who have
not.  After listening to the comments, its seems many of you want
"sameness," or socialization.  The argument has gone beyond illegal power,
to: "Gee, if you have all of that aluminum, you should give up your
amplifier !"  Who should the amplifier go to?  The starving kids in
Ethiopia?  What the heck do you care?  What makes it your business?

Also, why is it that the locations of you guys making the "no amp required"
comments are always in the eastern, or southern U.S.?

Because you are not limited in your ability to work DX, or compete well in
contests running lower power.

This is not true in the upper midwest.

It is virtually impossible to work DX here on 160m, 75m, and 40m without the
full 1.5 KW out.  I own an old Henry 3K modified with a 8877 (1500 watts w/
no margin).  Believe me, it's barely adequate.  If a 100w limit were imposed
here, we would not be able work Eu on 75m, and nothing on 160m.  Then who
has the advantage?  Once again, the east coast and southern U.S.  Next time
you skeptics are in MPLS, drop by.  You can jump in the chair and try your
100 watts.

Finally, it's a hobby.  If you're in it for glory, guess what?  Nobody cares
what your contest score is.  Get a life.

I hope W5WMU, W3LPL, & K7SS are successful pulling the knives out of their
backs.  W0SYK is already dead.

Steve, K0SF, Minneapolis, MN

sfraasch@.atk.com

From: Robert Penneys <penneys@brahms.udel.edu> (Robert Penneys)
Subject: Join NERDS for NAQP!

First call to join the redoubtable N.E.R.D.S. teams for NAQP CW and phone.
Let's hear it!    Bob