CQ-Contest

No subject

Subject: No subject
From: grichard@bbs.iquest.com (grichard@bbs.iquest.com)
Date: Sun Jul 24 22:38:21 1994
since most people aren't going to win the contest anyway and most of us
compete to beat a guy across town or top our "previous best"  why can't
contest sponsors put a(#) sign beside the scores of all participants
that claim a "new personal best for that particular contest"??
This would encourage people to send in logs to see their score in print

Look for k4bft from the Huntsville Hamfest during the NAQP SSB CONTEST
Frank, KE4GY and myself (and maybe others) will be conducting a forum
on contesting..the forum will end about an hour before naqp starts..we
will be active on 10-80..look for us...also any ideas and info anyone
has on this subject would be helpful...email is ok
thanks   greg   kc4zv   GRICHARD@BBS.IQUEST.COM

P.S.  does anyone know if this is the first time a club has participated
in a contest form a hamfest??  no we will not go grab guys out of the
hallways to give out qso's so don't ask...

From: oo7@astro.as.utexas.edu (Derek Wills) (Derek Wills)
Subject: personal best

        >since most people aren't going to win the contest anyway and
        >most of us compete to beat a guy across town or top our
        >"previous best"  why can't contest sponsors put a(#) sign
        >beside the scores of all participants that claim a "new
        >personal best for that particular contest"??  (KC4ZV)

If you are only competing against yourself, why don't you just mark
your own copy of QST/NCJ/whatever that way?   Your score is already
listed for all to see if you send a log in.

Still, just as you can get those fake newspapers that say "(Your name
here) arrested for streaking in Times Square", it ought to be possible
to annotate individual copies of QST so that your copy says in big red
letters on the front "Special Issue!  KC4ZV Personal Best Record!!
Other Contestants' Scores Also Listed on Page 250".  I should think
Publishers Clearing House and The Readers' Digest have the software
to do this.

Derek AA5BT, G3NMX
oo7@astro.as.utexas.edu

From: fabio.schettino@galactica.it (Fabio Schettino) (Fabio Schettino)
Subject: IOTA Contest Info

Hello Guys,

I am a newcomer in the Internet world, by the way a want give my help :

Pre-information for IOTA HF CONTEST. These islands should be on the air.

More information about IOTA-programme is available from G3KMA.

                   CALL          ISLAND                REF.

                   CS5C          CULATRA               EU-145
                   DL8OBC/P      HELGOLAND             EU-127
                   ED1ONS        ONS                   EU-080
                   ED3TIE        BUDA                  EU-154
                   EG9A          ALHUCEMAS             AF-069
                   GW5LP/P       ANGELSEY              EU-124
                   IE9/IT9ABY    USTICA                EU-051
                   IL4/IK4HPU    PIALLAZZA             EU-155
                   IL4/IK4HLU    PIALLAZZA             EU-155
                   OH1BBF        KEMIO                 EU-096
                   OH9OM         KULJU REEF            EU-126
                   SM4DHF/2      HOLMON                EU-135
                   SV8/IK3GES/P  SALAMINA              EU-075
                   TM7I          GLENAN                EU-094
                   GB0TI         ST.TUDWAL'S           EU-106
                   EJ1D          DALKEY                EU-121
                   GJ4OZF        LES MINQUIERS PLATEAU EU-099
                   GM3USL        CUMBRAE               EU-123
                   VE3ZZ/PA      SHOUWEN-DUIVELAND     EU-146
                   IB0/IK0MWM    PONIZANO              EU-045
                   GI4GTY        LIGHT HOUSE           EU-122
                   EJ4GK         ARAN                  EU-006
                   SP1KYB/1                            EU-132
                   LA/DL7UBW                           EU-041
                   9A/DL5ARX                           EU-110
                   DF0FA/P                             EU-057
                   K2OLG/M                   NA-069 &  NA-052
                   KB5KYO                              NA-168

         Thank's to OH1NOA, OH1EH Ari, OH1MDR Timo, and SM0TXT Torgny

                73 de Fabio I4UFH one of IR4T Contest Team.

E-mail fabio.schettino.galactica.it

From: Willy Umanets <uw9ar@chal.chel.su> (Willy Umanets)
Subject: UA9BA's defences...

Hi all,

it took a while to see comments, that I have been looking for.
Well said Jim (KK7A)! I am also happy to have confirmed, what
I knew in any way, that Gene (N2AA) and Jeff (KR0Y) are in that
same boat. There were few others, that I could tell were thinking
alike as well.

Once I was executed in public by Shapiro (NI6T), I was thinking
over and over again, whether or not this power issuie and the way
I saw it and presented in my "100 KW input fm UA9BA" was all
done in a wrong manner, and that maybe I instaed should've felt
deep regret in the bottom of my heart over spoiled 22 yers of
contesting, since as I said I always operated with 1,5-1,9 KW
output ever since early 70's, thus non of the victorious
efforts were worth nothing.

Oh, BTW, dear Doug (KR2Q), you siad that you have long ago suspected
this. Well, you lied, since you knew it from me a very long time
ago, when you used to sign WB2 Vertical Yagi Antenna, like many
other famous contesters new of it from me. I never made a secret
of that power at UK9AAN. It was never a problem to me to talk
about it on the radio w/many of you guys, and I never felt guilty,
cuz I knew we were all in the same category powerwise within a dB
or two. What was real problem, though, was the fact that too many didn't
beleive we were running so little power. It was always the case
of carefull investigation by guest ops (usually the best ones available
in Russia) invited to join in for some m/m operations. Their investigations
in finding " the real KILLER of "9AAN's"  had always failed and what
at first was thought of as of a driving unit was turning out to be the
final stage.  Few Americans wittnessed it as well - Johnny (KE7V),
Pete (K4EWG), Dick (W4ETO), the latter two have it on video.

One more interesting observation before I get to the bottom line of
this posting. It was real fun to watch some VERY famous contesters/hams
from the USA to run some real KW's 10dB above 9AAN's stuff in
major contests here in Russia. The fun part about it was that they
were NOT embarrassed
at all they were just enjoying themselves, they were acting like
normal people.

Now. Yes, each time I sign the declaration I lie about having operated
my stn within the limits of my license ( I guess everybody here is aware
of 10 W limit in Russia on 160m ), I never felt guilty, though,
before my rivals, the top 10-20 stations World Wide, and that's what it
all boils down to. Morally I am totally satisfied that I am not a cheater
powerwise.

Yes, I must admit, I wasn't brought up in a highly civilized environment
and I wasn't tought to follow every stupid rule/regulation that my g
governoment puts in force here. What they tought me real well, though
is that thing about competion - if one competes with others on fair
bases and by the rules/conditions one accepts, then it is OK to be proud
of the victory. I am still proud of every winning effort I was a part of
at UK9AAN, UK9ADT, EX9A, 4J9B, RW9A and UZ9AYA. I am in no way embarrassed
about having it done with 1.5 KW. OH, BTW, once UK9AAN was closed by
local GIE (analog of FCC) for running excessive power (in 1973). After
thatwe applied for special power priveleges for few contests,  we obtained
a permission to run 2kW. And now guess what? I never felt any difference
anywhere in my soul, when signing the declaration. I was morally as comfortable
as before, since I knew it wasn't the Watts that win. I will never make
a big issiue of someone, who takes it away from me, even if I knew that someone
was running bigger power than myself, cuz, once again, it is not Watts that win.

Now, back to what made me post this thing here. I always thought Americans
and Russians are the two people that are very similar in the way they see
things and in its acting in given reality. Both people havve done some
greatest things in this world due to that great spirit of our grand parents
that helpped them to struggle their way through all kinds of obstacles on
yhe way to where we're at now. I heartedly  blve, that the majority of us
is still influenced by that spirit, and whining isn't a part of it. It's
just happenned here on reflector so, that whiners are more talketive folks,
I guess. This power thread was just another perverted way of whining.
It was well said here - "too many whiners vs. winners here on reflector".
I know, though, in real life it is the other way around, otherwise America
would have never been what it is today.

Get a life guys! Be what you are! Don't outsmart yourself!

P.S. I am sorry this is a long deffenseve talk and I don't even feel like
     going over it again and edit it, so forgive me my grammar and composition.

---
73, Willy, UA9BA
JV "Challenger Ltd"                 phone : 351-260-0190
Internet : uw9ar@chal.chel.su       fax   : 351-237-1756

From: jtp1@gte.com (John Pescatore) (John Pescatore)
Subject: New DX Contest Format

Being an over privileged East Coaster, I'm not sure I am qualified to do
so, but I would like to expand on K5GA's suggestion for a DX contest where
US stations can't call CQ. GA's hope was that this would reduce the
advantages we East Coasters feel so guilty about. I think the
CQ-prohibition would be a start towards rehabilitating those of us who live
in the 13 original colonies, but doesn't go far enough.

Since we will still bust all those European pileups much easier than our
geographically disadvantaged brethren, I suggest country quotas where you
can only work so many stations per band in each country. This will keep us
from working page after page of CQing Europeans.

Since this area will still have a propagation opening advantage, I suggest
the contest run for two weekends per mode, to better give the deserving
heartland stations more chance for good openings.

The last suggestion would be to add 6 and 11 meters to the contest, again
providing additional opportunities for the down trodden folk to work
multipliers on bands where those of us born to geographic privilege will
bed at a disadvantage.

I think this would make things more equitable.

I would like to take credit for this idea, but I think W4KFC won one of
these in 1949 or so. Note: US CQing was allowed, but just not done.

Oh, and I think during Sweepstakes, noone west of the Ohio river should be
allowed to CQ, either.

Thank you for your continued support.

John
WB*EKK

The * is a new convention for those of us who are ashamed of our
geographical privileges, and wish to renounce our unearned advantages.

John Pescatore
GTE Government Systems
Rockville, MD
jtp1@gte.com

From: Morao Esteban <z801183a@bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us> (Morao Esteban)
Subject: What is wrong with Voice Keyer

On Sat, 23 Jul 1994, Joe Salemi wrote:

> What gets me is when you hear the CQ, answer, and a different voice
> answers you back.  Always confuses me for a moment until I realize
> they were using a voice keyer with someone elses voice than the current
> operator.

But Is the same when we are using a memory keyer, change of weight and
tone space.

I think for SSB operators is a real help as for us the keyers.

any recomendation?

Steve W4/YV5DTA