CQ-Contest

sprINT

Subject: sprINT
From: KR2J@aol.com (KR2J@aol.com)
Date: Mon Jul 25 10:59:07 1994
My first sprINT too!  This is the first one where I haven't been in W6 on
business.  Only made 62 Q's.

Re: KR0Y's lack of 40m antenna - you didn't need it.  It seemed everyone
(almost) stayed on 20 right through to the end.  My 20 meter antenna was a
dipole up about 20'.  I had hoped to make up for the lack of 20m antenna on
40 with a delta loop at 60' but ended up only making 5 qsos there.  Apologies
to N7LOX who couldn't copy my puny signal on 20m - twice.

Also first time for N6TR LOG program.  Quite different from K1EA.  I like the
flexibility of the logcfg.dat file.
I'm going to work with it some more and use it in the next sprint.

73,
Bob KR2J

From: fhmoore@nemed.b11.ingr.com (frank moore) (frank moore)
Subject: KE4GY SprINT

KE4GY 54 Qs ant 40 inv V @ 30'

Had a good time. Also wished that there was more activity on 40 :) Interesting
that DL1IAO, G4BUO and NP4Z seemed to be easiest for me to work. Maybe I should
try the inv V in CQWW after all. This was the first time that I heard my name
come back, from NL7GP. Then while I was waiting to pass it on I heard it being
passed. Huh? NL7GP was tough to copy, maybe I messed up. Really, I wasn't
trying to out do Larry!

     Frank, KE4GY "on the leaner meaner contest reflector where winners and
                   losers are as obvious as right and wrong and the American
                   way!"
     fhmoore@ingr.com

From: Skelton, Tom" <TSkelton@engineer.clemsonsc.NCR.COM (Skelton, Tom)
Subject: FW: Internet sprint

At about 0245z I was startled by a very loud thunder clap from a
nearby lightning strike.  I turned everything off, grounded the
antennas, and stepped outside to check out the storm.  After a
couple of minutes of contemplating the frequency of strikes, the
height of my 50' tower, and the thickness of my rubber earphone
pads, I said "what the hell" and turned things back on for the
last few minutes.

73,
Ed Gilbert, wa2srq

I said the same thing Sunday a week ago...I disconnected coax
on HF side, but left packet radio up and running.  Lightning
hit came through AC power, took out computer/2m radio/
tnc, then arc'ed through 2m radio chassis to speaker >
power supply > TS690s transceiver....blew it all.
The only thing that go saved was the SB220, and that was on
a 220 volt circuit.

>From now on, instead of "what the hell" it's "hell not again!"

73, Tom WB4iUX
Tom.Skelton@ClemsonSC.NCR.COM

ps:  YES!  Polyphaser ads now have my attention.....

From: jholly@hposl42.cup.hp.com (Jim Hollenback) (Jim Hollenback)
Subject: Is the A4S a weather vane?

I was doing some number crunching this weekend and came to the conclusion
that the Cushcraft A4S would make a pretty good weather vane. Do any of
you out there that own a A4 note any problems with the A4 trying to turn
in the wind? But then maybe I didn't figure the areas correctly.
For those of you that asked if I came up with a good model for the A4, the
answer is no.

Jim, WA6SDM
jholly@cup.hp.com