CQ-Contest

SprINT

Subject: SprINT
From: FOXG@WCSUB.CTSTATEU.EDU (FOXG@WCSUB.CTSTATEU.EDU)
Date: Wed Jul 27 14:23:18 1994
Alan K6XO wrote recently concerning N4OGW being the strongest signal he
heard during the recent SprINT.  Bob, K0KR added that this may be a case
for the power posse.  I couldn't agree more.  I happen to know that N4OGW
is a graduate of Yale University, a school that has consistently graduated
students who went on to accumulate and wield power... often mercilessly.
Depending on your political slant you can use either George Bush or Bill
Clinton as your example.   Thorsten (N4OGW), you should be ashamed of yourself.
A public apology is in order.  Oh, and by the waym 73 es GL contest om.
Geoff WA1U

From: tree@cmicro.com (Larry Tyree) (Larry Tyree)
Subject: Grid squares

My brief comment dismissing grid sqares appears to have generated many
comments.  Perhaps if I explain my reasons for saying this in more detail,
my intent would be better understood.

Each contest we operate has a different flavor.  This is brought about by
the different stations your work, the scoring structure, the exchange and
the length of time you operate.  Other things like setting your station up
in a field or QSYing after every other QSO can also affect the flavor of
the contest.

Changing the multiplier structure of most any contest to use grid squares
would have a signigicant effect on the flavor of the contest.

Over the years, I have developed a liking to the flavors of some of the
contests.  I look forward to the next Sprint, the next SS, or doing the
CQ WW from a DX location.  While there have been minor changes to many of
the contests, the basic flavor of them has stayed the same for a long time.

I think this is a good thing.  However, please don't label me someone who
doesn't appreciate new thinking.  If you look at the facts, I have sponsored
probably the most different contest that has come along in the 90's (the
Internet Sprint).  Perhaps it is in second place behind the KCJ contest
sponsored in Japan.  My point is that major changes are good, but they should
be done in the context of a new contest.  If someone wanted to create a
new contest that used grid squares on HF, that would be fine.  If it was
a fun event, then it will probably catch on and become popular.  However,
please do not go changing the flavor of the existing contests.

So, if you want a contest with grid squares, please work to start a new one
that meets your desires.

Tree N6TR
tree@cmicro.com

From: oo7@astro.as.utexas.edu (Derek Wills) (Derek Wills)

        >Alan K6XO wrote recently concerning N4OGW being the strongest signal
        >he heard during the recent SprINT.  Bob, K0KR added that this may be
        >a case for the power posse.  I couldn't agree more.  I happen to know
        >that N4OGW is a graduate of Yale University, a school that has
        >consistently graduated students who went on to accumulate and wield
        >power... often mercilessly.     Geoff WA1U

I agree, open and shut case.   OGW obviously stands for
Obnoxiously Gross Wattage, what more can one say...

Derek AA5-Barefoot/Tribander
oo7@astro.as.utexas.edu

From: Fred Hopengarten" <k1vr@k1vr.jjm.com (Fred Hopengarten)
Subject: Pulling cables thru conduit

On Tue, 26 Jul 94 23:52:33 GMT, "Barry Kutner"
<barry@w2up.wells.com> wrote:
> I have a 4 inch PVC buried with 90 bends at each
> end.

K1VR:  Mistake #1 -- next time use 45 degree bends and bring
cables up at an angle.

 The cables presently in there are hopelessly tangled, and I
can't pull my rope out to get another run thru.
> Figure I'll try pulling out everything together and then
reinsert them with new, additional runs.

K1VR:  Go to electrical supply house and buy small quantity
of cable pulling compound, a gooey/slimey mess.  Pull out
entire bundle.  Add new cables and pull entire bundle using
pulling compound.  This is MUCH less work than trying to
pull through anouther cable.  All cables from towers at K1VR
come in underground in 4" PVC.  These were hard-earned
lessons.
--
                      Fred Hopengarten K1VR
           Six Willarch Road * Lincoln, MA 01773-5105