CQ-Contest

field correction

Subject: field correction
From: jeh%8.1.dnet.mobitel.telia.se@radux.hk.mobitel.telia.se (jeh%8.1.dnet.mobitel.telia.se@radux.hk.mobitel.telia.se)
Date: Thu Jul 28 11:01:02 1994
In my previous msg concerning the fields or grid squares I
made an error (why do I always?).
The Swedish Field Award deals with the large FIELDS (ie  KP  FN  etc)
and there are 324 of them, that's it folks.

73 Jim SM2EKM          jeh%kiona.dnet@hk.mobitel.telia.se

From: D.RODMAN" <OOPDAVID@ubvms.cc.buffalo.edu (D.RODMAN)
Subject: ETHERNET: I have used it!

Briefly, let me summarize my experience with ETHERNET.  I decided to use
it after a hard disk crashed during a contest.  The premise was using CT
with both RS232 AND ETHERNET running under Novell would offer the premium
flexibility with the ultimate backup.  We used a 486-33 for a non-dedicated
server and two peripheral machines.  One of the other computers used its
internal drive for storage and the other used the network partition on the
server.  The CT software made all connections via RS232 and hard wiring.
The system failed for two reasons.  The RF susceptability of RS 232
frequently caused data loss, even after slowing the data rates.  This
was recognized and cured by fiberoptic lines in time for the next test.
However, the idea of using a network for the software completely over-
powered the server.  During restarting in the contest after more than
400-500 QSOs, it took many MINUTES to restart the computer.  This delay
was unacceptable and the idea of using ETHERNET, Novell and CT was
abandoned.  The system works well with the RS232/fiberoptic hybrid and
we will keep it that way.  73, Dave (KN2M).  PS We did this in 1992.

From: fish@crl.com (Bill Fisher, KM9P  Concentric Systems, Inc.) (Bill Fisher,
KM9P  Concentric Systems, Inc.)
Subject: Equilibrium

>    I will sponsor awards (hardwood) for:
>        1) CQWW CW HIGH 160 CW ZONE 3 SINGLE OP
>        2) CQWW160CW HIGH 160 CW ZONE 3 SINGLE OP
>        3) ARRL 160 HIGH SCORE SINGLE OP PACIFIC TIME ZONE
>
>73 Bob Kile, KG7D
>via internet"rkile@delphi.com"

Now here's a guy that doesn't just whine about not getting recognition for a
good effort...  He is doing something about it!  Way to go Bob!

---
Bill Fisher, KM9P
Concentric Systems, Inc.  (CSI)
404-442-5821  Fax 404-667-1975