CQ-Contest

borrowed calls

Subject: borrowed calls
From: AA5BANANA@aol.com (AA5BANANA@aol.com)
Date: Thu Jun 1 13:48:02 1995
Or consider this ...

Not too many years ago, the WPX soapbox included
this comment from a high-scoring single-op (calls
changed cuz I can't remember them):

  Thanks to K7XX for the use of his station and
  to WY7X for the use of his call. - W7ABC

Off hand, I don't know of any rules against this, but thought
that the call owner should be involved *SOMEHOW* in
the big picture (either an operator or the station
owner) so I wrote to Steve with a suggestion for a
small rule change.  Never heard back from him and
never saw any rule change (but haven't looked too hard
in the last couple of years).  Oh, well.

     -Bruce  AA5B

From: lvn@fox.cen.com (Larry Novak) (Larry Novak)
Subject: AB6FO WPX Results, etc.

> > 2. I HATE this contest because of the clueless U.S. ops that work
> > me  (or  try to) on more than one band.
>
> Well, I did read the abbreviated rules as printed in QST.  It said
> clearly that contacts between North American stations counted two
> points.  Zero clue that they had to be *international*.

  This is not the first time I've heard this complaint. The first time I
  operated this contest I had to ask more than one person about this
  rule. In fact I once heard someone say he placed 3rd or something in
  the contest because of all the US points he got and he swore he
  counted 2/4 points for each US contact. (OBVIOUSLY a confused
  person).

> I think I'll not bother with this contest next year, since apparently
> I've only managed to irritate people by working it...

  Well, I hope you'll do it again. This is a clear case where the rules
  need clarification.

 73, Larry
--

 +=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+
 | Larry Novak                    \-\-\             email:   lnovak@cen.com |

From: Larry Tyree <tree@cmicro.com> (Larry Tyree)
Subject: WPX at UA3D

                      CQ WW WPX DX CONTEST 1995
      CALL: UA3D (UA3DPX Op.)          COUNTRY: European Russia
      MODE: CW                           CLASS: SO High Power
           BAND    160   80   40   20   15  10   ALL
           QSOs     14  146  353 1043  331   5  1892
           Prefix                                656
          Scoring:   4068 * 656 = 2.669.264

            Final score:  2.669.264
     Contest period:
     00:00 - 08:59; 10:11 - 22:46; 02:34 - 05:49; 08:49 - 15:40;
     16:27 - 20:47. So, the time of operation was 36 Hours.

     Equipment Description:
     OMNI-VI + 1KW Russian Military Amplifier, 4 el Yagi  - 10,
     8 el Yagi - 15, 6 el Yagi - 20, 4 el Yagi - 40, Delta Loop-160/80.
     All antennas are at about 30 m hight.

     Club Affiliation: DPX DX/CONTEST CLUB

      Continent List

                   160    80    40    20    15    10    ALL
                   ---    --    --    --    --    --    ---
  VE calls    =      0     0     3    34     0     0     37
  N.A. calls  =      0     0    31   407     0     0    438
  S.A. calls  =      0     1     3     3    15     0     22
  Euro calls  =     13   136   240   480   260     4   1133
  Afrc calls  =      0     1     1     0     5     0      7
  Asia calls  =      1     8    29    61    32     1    132
  JA calls    =      0     0    45    51    15     0    111
  Ocen calls  =      0     0     1     4     4     0      9
  Unknowns    =      0     0     0     1     0     0      1
  Total calls =     14   146   353  1041   331     5   1890
Unknowns on 20 = X5XR

From: junger@mtn.er.usgs.gov (John Unger) (John Unger)
Subject: Contest rules & RE: AB6FO Results, etc...

Rich wrote:

> (stuff deleted
>
> Well, I did read the abbreviated rules as printed in QST.  It said
> clearly that
> contacts between North American stations counted two points.  Zero clue that
> they had to be *international*.  There was no clue as to whether the same
>
> (more stuff deleted)
>
> Rich, KO6CL

I have noticed that the rules of non-ARRL contests that are printed in
QST are sometimes less than complete and can be misleading.  I made it
a point to get the CQWPX rules (via FAX, thanks!) right before this
last contest and am glad that I did.  I don't want to start a
conspiracy theory, but I would think that complete rules should be given
in QST for ALL major contests, ARRL-sponsored or not.

73 - John, W3GOI

From: laurence@lsi-logic.co.uk (Laurence Mason) (Laurence Mason)
Subject: Field Day in Europe

This weekend is Field Day in Europe. This is a CONTEST! Some groups
enter more for fun whilst others take it very seriously and are there
to win. Most entries are formed by clubs.

There will be lots of /P activity from G, DL, HB, I etc. We get points
for working the rest of the world so please look for all the portables
in the contest.

The contest starts at 1500Z Saturday 3rd June and finishes 1500Z Sunday
4th June.
It is cw only on all 6 hf contest bands.
The exchange is RST & serial number.

The RSGB gives a certificate to the station in each continent that
works the most G entrants.

Electronic logs can be sent to me at the address below. I will
acknowledge those received so please contact me again if you get
no answer. We would appreciate as many logs for adjudication purposes
as possible as the RSGB uses computer checking for the G entrants.

We look forward to working a few of you over the weekend.

73

Laurence G4HTD
laurence@lsi-logic.co.uk      OR      laurence@lsil.com
for the RSGB HF Contests Committee

From: Chad Kurszewski" <kurscj@OAMPC12.csg.mot.com (Chad Kurszewski)

> > I think I'll not bother with this contest next year, since apparently
> > I've only managed to irritate people by working it...
>
>   Well, I hope you'll do it again. This is a clear case where the rules
>   need clarification.

There are many people out there who do not read the rules, but just
want to get on, hand out a few Qs, and help us out.  I depend on these
people, whether in the USA or not, to help my score, because 3 out of
those four people will be mults or points.

Yeah, so maybe 20-40% of these QSOs don't count for us.  But if they
get discouraged, as above, who's to say that they'll even get on for
SS, or NAQP, or whatever?  I would not like seeing my SS QSO total
drop 20-40%, would you?

Contesters need to tolerate, AND educate, AND THANK the casual ops.  I know
it's more difficult on CW to explain rules during the contest, but don't
scare off potential points for the next contest, or more importantly,
don't scare off potential contesters.

--
Chad Kurszewski, WE9V                   e-mail:  Chad_Kurszewski@csg.mot.com
Sultans of Shwing       Loud is Cool....yeah, heh, heh, heh, LOUD IS COOL!!!

From: SELBREDE%ARIA-2.EDW@mhs.elan.af.mil (Bob Selbrede) (Bob Selbrede)
Subject: Small Power Supplies

        I'm looking for suggestions for small 13.8 VDC, 20-25 Amp power
supplies for portable operation (FD, Contestpeditions, etc.).  I would
prefer something in a  small switching supply, if I could find one!  There
doesn't seem to be many, if any, on the ham market.  I'll be powering an
IC-735 with it, and possibly a few small accessories.  When you travel with
a 12 V rig, what type of supply do you haul along with you, if any?

        The one promising suggestion I've gotten so far is to find an Icom
PS-35, which is an internal 20 Amp switching supply for the IC-751.  It
looks to be about 7" by 7" by 1" high and only weigh about 6 pounds.
Furthermore, it runs on 110 or 220 VAC and will deliver 20 Amps under fairly
demanding transmit conditions.  It also is reported to be very "RF quiet".
The only rub is that they are at least $230 if you can find them.

        Are there other alternatives?  Anyone else care to comment on the
PS-35?  Send your comments to me, I'll post a summary if it looks
interesting.

Thanks es 73, Bob W9NQ
SELBREDE%ARIA-2@MHS.ELAN.AF.MIL