CQ-Contest

IC-775DSP out

Subject: IC-775DSP out
From: AA6KX@aol.com (AA6KX@aol.com)
Date: Sun Jun 11 10:27:01 1995
>The first of the ICOM 775DSPs is now in the hands of
>FRCers, and we arelooking forward to the >verdict........

Out here on the west coast, the demo 775 was delivered to W6OTC just today.
 Glenn will be evaluating it for the next month or so.  Jim Newcomb (used to
be Icom's natl. sales mgr for ham gear; now SW sales mgr for all Icom gear)
made a presentation to the Northern California DX Club on the rig tonight and
left his demo unit behind with Glenn.  We all agreed the only way to put the
rig to the right test would be to get on about 500Hz away from Glenn every
time we hear him on the air and turn up the gas.  So if you hear W6OTC on the
air...

Icom is making some big claims about the low noise floor on this rig.  The
number -140Db sticks in my mind from the charts.  It will be interesting to
see how the noise floor in the 775 compares to the TS-930.  Does anybody have
any objective data on this?
                                              Bruce, AA6KX

From: Ronald DeBry <histone@acpub.duke.edu> (Ronald DeBry)
Subject: de K1ZX: 20M WC4E vs KG1D

On Sun, 4 Jun 1995, James White wrote:

> WANTED:
>
> Southern lattitude experiences with 20 meter antennas, heights, etc...what
> works/hasn't worked for you into EU in the morning?? The current 4L at 95
> foot does very well in the afternoon but feels like a broken butternut at
> dawn.
>
>                         Thanks
>
>                                 de   Jim zx    k1zx@mcimail.com

Ahh, Jim.  Welcome to Florida.  In my 5 years at N4WW's station I felt
the same way almost every contest.  I wonder, actually, what you mean by
"afternoon"?  For me the biggest problem always seemed to be the
mid-afternoon doldrums, when the adsorption on 20 is so high that we were
relegated to hunting SA on 15 & 10, yet the post-contest rate sheets
would show that the New Englanders were on 20 with rates of 80-150/hr.
This with 4/4 @ 140 & 70 ft.

Actually, you spent the whole contest sitting next to one of the very few
people who have experienced what it's like to be competitive with the
northeast on 20 from Florida.  Unfortunately you already know what kind
of antenna system that was (for those who don't know, I'm referring to
K4XS's 5/5/5/5 (or were they 6-el?) at 200' on down).

Until you duplicate that system, you can enjoy all those extra 10 and 15
meter contacts that being so far south got you :)

Oh well, my next stop (starting January) is Cincinnati.  I can feel the
old black hole sucking me back in.

Maybe we can get some airline to get us all a group discount rate 4
times/year to fly from the black hole to Boston.

Cheers, Ron
WA6DGX

histone@acpub.duke.edu

From: okanep@iol.ie (Paul O'Kane) (Paul O'Kane)
Subject: New SD Reflector

A reflector has been set up to discuss issues relating to
the use of the SD (Super-Duper) HF and VHF group of contest
logging programs.  SD users and other interested parties are
encouraged to subscribe to this information exchange.

To subscribe to the SD reflector send a message to:
        majordomo@blacksheep.org
with the following text in the body of the message:

        subscribe sd-user

        sd-user@blacksheep.org

If you have a Web browser, you can sign up and get more
information from http://www.iol.ie/~okanep.

73,
Paul EI5DI
okanep@iol.ie

From: Randy Thompson <k5zd@iconics.com> (Randy Thompson)
Subject: IOTA vs 10-10 $

On Sat, 10 Jun 1995, Kenneth G. Kopp wrote:

> If the IOTA organization is making anything (and I doubt they are)
> it must be "peanuts" compared to the 10-10 scam.  Wish I was the
> one that thought this one up!  From the number of --CONTEST-- QSL's
> (especially from SS) I get wanting 10-10 numbers, it appears that
> LOTS of people have fattened this cow!

I just made one up for myself!  After all, with 60K numbers out there, it
doesn't really matter whether I have a "legitimate" number or not.
People seem just as happy -- as long as they get a number.

At N5AU, we always used 5904 as our 10-10 number.

Randy Thompson, K5ZD
k5zd@iconics.com

From: rmarosko@bcm.tmc.edu (Ronald J. Marosko) (Ronald J. Marosko)
Subject: VHF Contest woes

I write this, not half-way through the duration of the contest, saddened to
report that I'm finished. Not by my willingness, but the weather. Nice
thunderstorm blew through about 4:30amCDT and folded the mast over right
at the top of the tower. Guess who is doing antenna work today.

Preliminary score, ~15K. Breakdown will follow later.

73,
    Ron KK5DK
    EL29fq

From: George Cutsogeorge <0006354141@mcimail.com> (George Cutsogeorge)
Subject: Receiver Noise Floor.

Here are some receiver noise floor measurements I have made
for comparison with the stated -140dBm on the IC-775.

Radio           Preamp off              Preamp on

IC-761  -131dBm                 -141dBm
IC-765          -133                    -140
FT-1000         -128                    -138
TS-930          -138                    no preamp
TS-940          -140                    no preamp

These measurements were made with the CW filters.  They were made
on individual radios in my lab and there may be wide variations
with other radios.

Noise floor is only part of the story and many other characteristics
also need to be evaluated to judge a radios' suitabilty for contesting.

George, W2VJN      mbx:gcutso@mcimail.com

From: Bob Schreibmaier" <k2ph@dxis.monroe.pa.us (Bob Schreibmaier)

> Here are some receiver noise floor measurements I have made
> for comparison with the stated -140dBm on the IC-775.
>
> Radio         Preamp off              Preamp on
>
> IC-761        -131dBm                 -141dBm
> IC-765                -133                    -140
> FT-1000               -128                    -138
> TS-930                -138                    no preamp
> TS-940                -140                    no preamp
>
> These measurements were made with the CW filters.  They were made
> on individual radios in my lab and there may be wide variations
> with other radios.
>
> Noise floor is only part of the story and many other characteristics
> also need to be evaluated to judge a radios' suitability for contesting.
>
> George, W2VJN      mbx:gcutso@mcimail.com

Nice work, George.

A noise floor of -140 dBm is nothing new.  Here's some results from
the ARRL lab, courtesy of a posting made (two years ago) by Charlie
Panek, KX7L, to rec.radio.amateur.misc:

          Summary of Data from QST Reviews of Amateur HF Transceivers
                        Version 5    28 Jan 1993

        QST   |         Xmtr         |          Rcvr
Rig     Review| Harm.   Spurs   IMD  |  Min Sig BlkRng  IMD DR  3rdO Icpt
        Issue | dBpep   dBpep   dBpep|  dBm     dB      dB      dBm
Yaesu:
FT-101E 09/76                   -34     -141    108     81

Icom:
IC-730  11/82   -50     -60     -40     -140    N.L.    96      +4.0
IC-740  09/83   -57     -63     -30     -141    125     94      -0.5
IC-745  09/85   -65     -65     -35     -140    115     92      -3
IC-765  12/90   -64     -64     -40     -142    146     96      +2
IC-781  01/90   -63     -63     -37     -140    132.5   97      4.5

Kenwood:
TS-850S 07/91   -64     -64     -28     -141    138     108     +15.5
TS-950  01/91   -55     -55     -42     -142    138     99      +5.5

The ARRL lab got almost the same numbers for the TS-930 and TS-940
(it's difficult to repeat these measurements to much better than 1 dB
accuracy anyway -- and, as George said, all radios of a certain model
are not exactly the same):

        QST   |         Xmtr         |          Rcvr
Rig     Review| Harm.   Spurs   IMD  |  Min Sig BlkRng  IMD DR  3rdO Icpt
        Issue | dBpep   dBpep   dBpep|  dBm     dB      dB      dBm
TS-930  01/84   -50     -50     -35     -139    N.L.    86.5    -7.8
TS-940  02/86   -54     -65     -37     -139    138     93      -0.5

73,
Bob K2PH

--
+------------------  \-\-\-\  -----------------------------+
| Bob Schreibmaier K2PH | INTERNET: k2ph@dxis.monroe.pa.us |

From: Marios Nicolaou <mzyd108@unicorn.ccc.nottingham.ac.uk> (Marios Nicolaou)
Subject: Rotor Survey--Summary No 1

This is the first summary of the messages I received so far for my question
about the choice of rotor for the KLM KT34XA with a future 2 el 40m to
go with it.

I would like to thank all those who did reply and if there are more people
who wish to add to the comments, please drop me a line and I will make
another summary for the reflector!

Out of the 10 replies/suggestions I received the following was observed:

-->a) Most people believed that the HAM IV rotor was marginal for an antenna
as big as the KT34XA and adding a 2 element 40m beam would be a big mistake

-->b) The next rotor to be commented upon was the T2X. Most people believed
that although the T2X will handle the KT34XA with no problems, it will be
greatly stressed if a second beam is added, and would certainly not be
adviced for high speed wind areas. It survived, however, a KT34XA and a
3el 40m beam for 10 years in a non-windy area!
However, if it is damaged, it can be repaired quite cheaply (~110 dollars
as W7ZRC commented), and parts are widely available (unlike the YAESU)

-->c) The HDR-300 was used by 2 amateurs who started off with HAM IV and T2X
and seemed to be very pleased with its performance.

-->d) The YAESU Rotor (G-1000SDX) was adviced by only one HAM! Nobody
commented
anything else about its performance apart from its ability to turn 450 degrees
and the PRESET function, and survival of 2 winters in New England. Is also
cheaper than the CREATE

-->e) The CREATE rotor (RC5A) was commented by 3-4 amateurs, and from what I
understood is the TOP-OF-THE-LINE rotor and performs flawlessly even at high
winds. I have the feeling that is much more expensive than the others!!
It has a "worm" gear which is ideal for SLOW rotation, and has no solenoids
et al which seem to be vulnerable!

These are the comments I have received so  far from 10 different people, I
have included the original messages below.

Hope this helps! 73s ES Good Antenna Farming!

                      Marios Nicolaou (5B4WN)

Thanx to: AA5B, N4ZR,PA3ERC,K4FJ,KE3Q,VE3HI,KO7V,K1ZX,WA7EGA,W7ZRC

1)The Ham IV is not sturdy enough for the kt34xa.  The T2X will handle it
fine, but the T2X will be stressed if you add the 2 el 40.  You would
be smart to select a rotor with greater torque specs than the T2X if you
intend to add the 40M beam.  Good luck.  73, Steve K4FJ.
2)Well, the HAM-IV is certainly "tried and tested," and
apparently pretty easy to have repaired if that is ever needed.   Rich
Boyd KE3Q
3)I have had up a KT-34XA as well as a Hygain Discoverer 7-2 40 meter yagi for
some years now.  Recently took them down to move though.  My experience is
quite simple and my recommendations quite emphatic, as follows:

Used a T2X Tailtwister rotor at first to turn the arrays but it did not last
long....
the inside of the rotor was absolutely trashed by the two antennas.  I
replaced same
with another T2X rotor, same results.

I then replaced same with Telex Hygain HDR-300 rotor and it has performed
flawlessly
for two years.

I have no experience with the Yaesu rotor, but would recommend that at the
very least you consider putting up a Telex HDR-300 equivilant.
Murray Lampert VE3HI
4)Here in the states, we can't get parts for the Yaesu rotors. The HyGain
rotors aren't perfect, but they work & parts are readily available.  I
would go with the Tailtwister rather than the Ham IV if you're planning on
adding a 2L 40.  I have a TH7 @ 83' & a Cushcraft 2 L 40 @ 98' that I turn
with a Tailtwister.   Check with your local dealers about parts
availability for both brands before you buy anything.  GL. 73,

Mike Cizek   KO7V
5)Based on research I did last year, I believe you need either the Create
RC5A3 (I think that's the number) or the Yaesu G-1000SDX.  The Yaesu is
considerably cheaper and has some other advantages.  A good friend of
mine used one to turn the Tennadyne 10-30 MHz LP and a 2-element short 40
(Cushcraft) all through the winter of 1993 and 94 in New England with no
problems.  That's my choice.

Other people will tell you that the Tailtwister T2X is adequate for the
job.  But the Ham IV is a non-starter for an antenna as big as the KT34-XA.

73, Pete
N4ZR
6)I have used the Ham M/Ham II/Ham IV/Tailtwister rotors for years and yes
they are predictable. The past year and a half I have been using a Create
rotor and am very happy with it, it has a worm gear drive which is a very
good choice for slow speed rotation like ham antenna rotator has. The worm
gear also means you do not require a brake, which requires a solenoid -
something else to break down!
                                Jim, K1ZX     k1zx@mcimail.com
7)Sorry, I didn't mean that the Yaesu is cheaper than the T2X.  Rather, it
is lots cheaper than the Create.  Most recent price I have seen here for
the Yaesu is $479.  BTW the Yaesu has preset (no need to hold the switch
on until it reaches the right direction) and 450 degrees of rotation (no
dead spot right at South, for example).

73, Pete
N4ZR@netcom.com
8)The HAM IV will handle the KT34 with no problem.  The added 40 meter
beam will strip the brake in the first windstorm you have over 45mph.
I have never used the Yaesu ...  On my large stack, (42-foot boom-5el
20 meter with a 30-ft/5el 15 over it) I finally went to an HDR-300
which has now held up three years where I ruined 2 Tail Twister rotors.

In any case, consider your path for repair parts in your decision.

Hal Blegen  WA7EGA

Hi Marios,

9)I use a Tail Twister (slightly bigger than the Ham IV) to turn a KT34XA and
3 ele KLM 40m yagi at 120'.  We don't have high winds here either, but I
think we have had 50 mph+ a time or two.  I use two thrust bearings, one in
the tower and one on the top plate.  The Tail Twister lasted 10 years before
stripping some gears.  Had it rebuilt by Hy Gain for ~$110.  So if you can
find a used Ham IV or Tail Twister, they are innexpensive to repair.

73 and good luck, Rod w7zrc@micron.net

10)I think that the Ham IV is marginal for long-term use with a
KT34XA.  Adding a 2-el 40 would be a mistake.

Don't know about the Yaesu units, but I
like the Create rotators very much.

     -Bruce AA5B

11) Hi Marios, I use a CREATE RC5A, a little expencive but it keeps on
working even with high winds, I have a 5 elem tri-bander, rotary
dipole for 40 and rotary dipole for warc bands, 2x23cm beams and a
vertical for 70cm, and it all goes without problems.

Good luck
Rob Snieder PA3ERC

       \\\|///
       ( o - )
-----oOO-(_)-OOo----- No matter how many wall I climb, there is always-------
----------------------another one in front of me, isn't that unfair??--------
Marios Nicolaou (5B4WN)> mzyd108@unicorn.nottingham.ac.uk

From: John Barry <jbarry@curia.ucc.ie> (John Barry)
Subject: Summary: Which 40m Beam?

Summary of responses to Which 40m Beam query

Thanks to all who replied to my query. I had an overwhelming
response - 90% of replies suggested I get the Cushcraft 40-2CD,
and modify it as per W6QHS article.

Id imagine that we will end up taking the reflectors advice and going for
the Cushcraft.

I've posted a summary of some of the replies

Thanks again - Best 73s John EI7DNB

**

A lot of guys over here (including N2RM) are using the Cushcraft 40-2CD.
I had one up for years (before I moved to CQ in NY) and can say it is an
outstanding antenna; both from a construction and operational viewpoint.
With the kind of QTH you have, it may be a good compromise. Of course
the full-size yagi we use at K1EA's station isn't bad, either!

73 John, K1AR
**

John,  I have been using the 2 element loaded 40 for 2 years and it has
worked well for me.  We have high winds here (it has seen up to 70 mph
severs=al times) but no ice.  I turn it with a Tailtwister rotor.  I lkie the 2
ele beams because I can use cheap (realitive) rotors and towers.

William Osborne, AA5ZQ
wosborne@nmsu.edu
**

It's been suggested that stacking a pair of 2 element beams, like
the 402CD, is much less expensive than a full-sized 3 element, and
can perform as well or better.  Of course, they need to be at least
a half wavelength apart, so the tower needs to be at least 40 M or so tall.
Might be worth considering, though.
Scott  K9MA
sellington@ssec.wisc.edu
**

John .... I use a Telrex 3-el, but Telrex is no longer in business.  If I
were going to buy a new 40-meter beam, I would seriously consider one from
Force-12.  I believe their designs are real good and they will take a lot of
wind.  I would definitely go for a 3-el over a 2-el if it fits your budget.
For one thing, the F/B will be a lot better. Contact Natan at
force12@ibm.net.  73, Wes ..... N5WA
**

1.  40 meter beams break rotors.
2.  40 meter beams break.
3.  You better have some people that like to fix 40 meter beams and their
    rotors.

Considering the cost and performance of a Cushcraft 402CD, I don't see how you
could go wrong with one if you modify it to W6QHS's book.  I am putting up
stacked 402CD's.  K8AZ has stacked 402CD's and always does very well on 40m.

It all boils down to how much work you want to do for the extra performance of
the full sized antenna.
**

Hi, John.  The difference in performance between a typical 2-element
commercial 40M beam and a full-size 40 is substantial, but the cost of
materials for a 40 will be considerably more too, and the rotator needed
for reliable rotation more substantial as well.

The Cushcraft 2-el is the clear favorite of the commercial two elements
and can be turned with a Ham-IV reliably I believe.

Rich Boyd KE3Q
**

I recommend the Cushcraft 40-2CD two element 40 M beam, with the
W6QHS structural upgrade.

The beam itself is an excellent performer. I don't doubt that a three, or
four element would be marginally better, but for the $ this is a
great antenna.

Joe, W5ASP
jastaples@aol.com
**

I would recommend you obtain and read the book: The Physical Design of Yagi
Antennas, by Dave Leeson, W6QHS, published by the ARRL.  Dave goes into
detail on his QTH location and its 100 mile/hour wind and the possibilities
of HF DX from a hilltop location.

Get the book, you will not regret it.

As far as my feelings on the 2 ele vs the 3 ele, I've used both in contests:
The 3 ele @ 200 feet from W3LPL and the 2 ele @ 134 feet from my QTH.  The 3
ele is superior, of course.  However, the 2 ele is no slouch.  It performs
quite well and is quite directive.  I am very, very pleased with it and
highly recommend the 40-2CD.

Bill
n3rr@cais.com
**

During the last sunspot minimum, I decided to take down my TH6 tribander and
replace it with a 40M beam.  After much research and consideration, I chose
the Hy-Gain Discover 7-3, linear loaded 3el yagi.  It has 3 elements the
longest of which is about 45 feet long on a 35 foot boom.  I put it on the
top of my 25 meter Rohn 25G tower and turned it with HyGains Tailtwister 2x
rotator.

To make a long story short, the yagi has been up and totally problem free for
ten years now.  It works extremely well having netted me over 300 countries
on 40M during that time.  It has been through one hurricaine that felled 3
110 foot tall oak trees in my back yard as well as numerous thunderstorms
with wind gust in the 60-70 mph range.  And while it doesn't look quite as
straight and pretty as it did when I put it up, the swr is still essentially
1 to 1 on its set frequency of 7015 Khz, and it continues to crack pileups on
the first call even when I run my TS940 barefoot.  In short, it's been an
excellent antenna for me.
**

Hi John,
     Try a DX Engineering Heavy Duty 40M Beam.
       DX Engineering
       618 Spaulding Ave.
       Brownsville,  Oregon   97327
       USA
       voice   503-466-3138
    THey make good beams that stay up and work very well.
    73 and I remain,
    Lew        N7AVK     lew@teleport.com
**

Get the 2 element Cushcraft and re-enforce it according to W6QHS's book.
Thhis antenna seems to be the best performer among the small 40M yagis.
Mike Cizek   KO7V
**
As to the strength, and wind survivablity:  This question comes up
frequently, as it should.  Most all of the commercially available 40M Yagis
have weaknesses.  There is a large body of knowledge on how to reinforce the
Cushcraft 40-2CD.  My Force 12 is rated at 100 MPH.  It is not heavy (about
65 lbs), but is designed to have a low profile to the wind.  It has only
been up for about three weeks, and so I've not had the opportunity to watch
it in a BIG wind, but I HAVE watched it in 35 MPH winds, and it doesn't
move, wiggle, shake, or do ANYTHING.  I have other antennas by Force 12, and
they act the same way.  The only other antenna I've read about which is
known to be out-of-the-box strong is the Mosely.  The problem with that
antenna, besides its cost (abt US$1500 if I recall) is that it employs
efficiency.
Steve Sacco KC2X
Narcoosee, Florida
ssacco@mcimail.com
**

Best "value" is 2 el cushcraft at about $440 USD.  I have used several of these
antennas with good results both electrically and mechanically.  Properly
reinforced in a couple of places they handle 80-90MPH breeze.  If money is no
object look at the DX-ENGINEERING 3 EL JOB.  COST=$2.5K
73's de Bravo
**

There are 3 choices in 2-element 40 meter beams:

1. 40-2CD
2. 40-2CD
3. 40-2CD

Get the idea? As far as wind survival, do the W6QHS mods and it will
be good for 100 MPH plus winds. Rumor has it the Yaesu 2800 rotor is
a good one.

-Tony, K1KP, fisher@hp-and.an.hp.com
**

John:
     For a 40 meter beam.....
     Option A.  Buy a Cushcraft 2 element shorty and beef it up using
the W6QHS mods outlined in a somewhat-recent issue of NCJ.  If you don't
have it I can get it for you.  Modified, it will withstand winds of 100MPH.
Advantages are it is cheap (relatively) and has a small windload.
Disadvantage is that it is 2 elements.  I have one up and it works just
fine.
     Option 2.  Get a Force 12, 3 element.  It has radically tapered elements
and has a windload substantially less than a "normal" 3 element.  I don't
have the catalog here at work, but I think the windload is 8 SF or so.
It is rated at a high wind survival number (think it is about 80 MPH or so).
I can get you the specs from the catalog if you wish.

**
I have contested from the NH6T/AH6AZ contest site which is at the top of a
300' cliff overlooking the Pacific ocean.  It frequently sustains 80mph
winds and sometimes has days of time in which the average wind speed is
40-60mph.  A Cushcraft 40-2CD has been up for quite a while without
trouble.  A new Create full-size 3-element is up, but they haven't been
able to find a rotator that will hold it in those winds.  The antenna
seems to be reasonably strong, though.

Good luck!

73, Ward N0AX
**
Hi John, we at PI4COM build a 2 elem accordingly the ON4UN design,
cheap and it works beautiful. The beam is working mich better then 4
times 3 elem bobtails we used in the past. We used it first time during the WPX,
I was on 40 whole contest and I coul easy work stateside 3 hour after
sunrise and work JA 2 hours before sunset. We use an electomotor
380Volts to turn the antenna 1RPM. Don't waste money on commercial
rotators.
Rob Snieder PA3ERC
norf@euronet.nl
**

For the money the Cushcraft is probably the best ERP per Dollar spent however
the antenna cud take some beefing up.

The 3 Element or 4 Element would definitely be preferable.  for contesting
the 2 elements just dont shine very well.  Try the Hygain 3 or 4 element.
 Excellent construction and will probably withstand your winds.

73 de Wayne, NX7K

From: patd@eskimo.com (Patrick Dayshaw) (Patrick Dayshaw)

>On Sun, 11 Jun 1995, Randy Thompson, K5ZD wrote:

>I just made one up for myself!  After all, with 60K numbers out there, it
>doesn't really matter whether I have a "legitimate" number or not.
>People seem just as happy -- as long as they get a number.
>
>At N5AU, we always used 5904 as our 10-10 number.
>
>Randy Thompson, K5ZD
>k5zd@iconics.com

Would it be OK if folks "just made up" a country (300+ out there), US county
(700+ out there), state (49+ out there), or grid square (a whole bunch+ out
there).  Seems like people are looking for LEGITIMATE contacts for the
various awards that we collect in this hobby. Some how I think
(international law issues aside) that if this was a "pirate" operation for a
new country most of us would object and be pissed about being cheated.  But
then of course, as we've read here lately, DXCC is the only "real",
"worthwhile" award program in this hobby.
Patrick,   WA7VNI........    patd@eskimo.com

From: patd@eskimo.com (Patrick Dayshaw) (Patrick Dayshaw)

From: Doug Grant <0006008716@mcimail.com> (Doug Grant)
Subject: 10-X Numbers

I get a real kick out of working 10M during Es openings, and the like.

After 20+ years, one day I decided I ought to get a 10-X number to keep the
rate up during Es openings. TOok about 15 minutes to get 10 guys in the log,
and a few more
weeks to get a number.

I don't ever recall it helping in a "real" contest, but it's been kinda fun
having it during Es openings, the 10M contests, and the 10-X QSO party.

I think it's kinda bogus to hand out a fake number. SOme of these guys really
take their awards seriously, and I'd hate for one of them to get mad and
show up during some real contest bootlegging some VY1 or Nebraska0 call during
SS, depriving some of the Deserving of a sweep.

I also have in the past found the 10-X beacon to be a good idicator of 10M
propagation between W1 and W6...

73,
Doug  K1DG   10-X 43027  "glad to help you out with NH for WAS 10-X"
k1dg@mcimail.com (glad to help out with NH for WAS Internet, too...)

From: James White <0006492564@mcimail.com> (James White)
Subject: de K1ZX, 20 meters - the K4XS solution

WA6DGX de K1ZX

.............hi Ron

I know/knew that answer, Jeff has so advised me - and yes I did utilize the
ant farm at Bill's one or two times, I guess what I want is a hardware
answer but not K4XS'.....it is not a feasable one! In another life, mebbe!
That reminds me I haven't checked my Lotto numbers. QRX.

When I said afternoon I meant that burst at 4 or 5 local time when there is
a lil return of EU into the picture (run wise).......they will actually
respond to CQs!

I am pleased with our outcome of 6+ M as a multi-multi - it was fun,
although we could have used another full bore operator locally...time to
find us a college guy with the right leanings and groom him! That's one of
the main reasons I read ALL the reflector mail! He may have just shown up on
the scene...and I wanna scoop him up before Austin does - I know he's been
hurtin' without ya' Ron...

....time to watch NBA game 3.....Florida is slowly becomming more of a
competitive force in a number of ways - heah - I wonder if Shaq or Horace
know the code?

                          73 Jim zx                 k1zx@mcimail.com

From: ronklein@ix.netcom.com (Ron Klein) (Ron Klein)
Subject: Antenna/Tower Advice Needed

If you are going to add a separate 2 element 40 you might also consider a
Mosley PRO-67B. It will get you 2 elements on 40, 3 on 20,17,15,12 and 4
elements on 10. It is on a 24 foot boom and weighs over 100 lbs. As usual,
Mosley did it right from a mechanical construction/durability viewpoint. I
am please with mine after almost 3 years.

73,

Ron - W0OSK

----------------------

>RE N3BDA's antenna query.

<TH6 is a great antenna on a shoestring, available used $100-$150,
<almost as good as a TH7, which will cost 3 times as much used.  TH6s
<are probably more available used also.

<Rohn 25 should be fine at 60', even for pretty large antennas.
<2-el 40 over the TH6 would be good.  If you can do a second tower, put
<it over there.  Cushcraft seems to be peoples' favorite.  Hence, other
<brands may be more readily available (and may not work as well either).
<204BA would be a good "starter" 20M monobander, at the beginning of the
<20M monobander incremental improvements spectrum that is.

<73

<Rich Boyd KE3Q

From: Jeff Bolda <0005782837@mcimail.com> (Jeff Bolda)
Subject: 20M from the south

WA6DGX wrote:
>Actually, you spent the whole contest sitting next to one of the very few
>people who have experienced what it's like to be competitive with the
>northeast on 20 from Florida.  Unfortunately you already know what kind
>of antenna system that was (for those who don't know, I'm referring to
>K4XS's 5/5/5/5 (or were they 6-el?) at 200' on down).

>Until you duplicate that system, you can enjoy all those extra 10 and 15
>meter contacts that being so far south got you :)

To right! At K4XS we always felt weak (to DX) on 20 with KLM 5/5 140'/70'.
Bill went to 5/5/5/5 175' down top/bottom 2 BIP/BOP it made a world
of difference! re: WPX SSB 88-92, WW SSB 92 etc...Although openings/times
were different of those of the NE.

Felt the same from N5AU on 20 until the "Siberian Express" returned.
Ask VZL about that one.

KC2X (Central FL) is having good results with his 6/6 Force 12's.

Many people have asked about K4XS. After the passing of his XYL a
year ago, Bill is moving his QTH and is in the slow process of
tearing down his station. (I'm expecting a call any day now to help
pull down 20+ yagis) Bill reassures me he will return and may
start building a new home this summer. While in the sunspot minimum,
Bill is no rush to get back. He is in the process of designing some
very (VERY!) large arrays.

Jeff, WC4E
wc4e@mcimail.com