CQ-Contest

SSTV

Subject: SSTV
From: force12@ibm.net (force12@ibm.net)
Date: Sun Jun 18 21:02:33 1995
Dear Friends,

I have been reading the comments about the SSTV's annoited frequecies and their
behavior during
the last few days and thought I would give my unsolicited, provoked comments.

During the last 28 years of contesting (yes I am that old) and playing ham
radio, I have
observed one "social" dynamic on the ham bands that is repeatable and
predictable.  The dynamic
I speak of is the "Its my frequency and operation on this frequency is allowed
by me and my
buddies."   People who think they own the frequency are sadly mis-informed and,
I believe, act
selfishly in their own interests.  The SSTV goons are no different from what
has happened on
sacred frequencies occupied by nets, ECARS, WCARS, and sattelite users.

The reality per the FCC law is that no one "owns" any freqency!

I would like to see some resolution concerning this matter, however, I will not
be intimidated
by those goons and I hope most people will choose not to be either.
Furthermore, the OO who
sent out all the notices last year concerning "intentional QRM" by contesters
during the contest
should be dismissed by the ARRL field organization and his identity put up for
public ridicule!

If 14230 is open during a contest, you can bet that I will ask several times if
the frequency is
in use and if it is not, I plan to use it!  My tuning knob does not have any
mark on it that
says 14230 is allocated exclusively to SSTVrs.   On the other hand, I will
NEVER snuggle up to
an ongoing QSO of any kind (sstv or otherwise) when seeking a frequency to call
CQ.  When the
goons start their foolishness, I will ignore them (which does work) and go
about the business of
making QSO's.

Suggestions --- Fry the OO!...Make 14230 the province of all the Multi Multi
stations ....DO NOT
PUT UP WITH TERRORISM in any form...and this certainly includes the goons on
14230 who
intenitonally QRM and "guard" the freq. -- as they are certainly common
TERRORISTS.

The casual SSTV operator is not the problem here.  With the nature of a SSTV
signal, no
knowledgable contester is going to get close to a QSO or CQ.  The problems are
the
self-righteous terrorists who do the intentional, illegal QRM.  If the
frequency is open, use
the damn thing!

No discussion of bombing, physical harm (though I have been threatened by the
goons several
times) and no intimidation is needed.  Just play contest with the knowledge
that no one owns the
frequency, not even you!

73s

Natan, W6XR/2

From: Randy Thompson <k5zd@iconics.com> (Randy Thompson)
Subject: VHF Contest score and comments

Congrats on the engagement OM.  Sounds like she will be a good partner.

Wish you all the best.

Randy Thompson, K5ZD
k5zd@iconics.com