CQ-Contest

MASTER.DTA file for RUFZ available!

Subject: MASTER.DTA file for RUFZ available!
From: reisert@eng.pko.dec.com (reisert@eng.pko.dec.com)
Date: Tue Aug 1 11:11:00 1995
I have converted the November, 1994 MASTER.DTA file to RUFZ format.

To get the file, send a message to ct-user-REQUEST@eng.pko.dec.com

In the body of the message put the single line:

GET rufzfile.dta

The file has 25115 callsigns, including USA and JA.  The total file length is
158,568 bytes.  If someone wants to host the file for anonymous FTP, please
send EMAIL to me.

73 - Jim Reisert AD1C
reisert@eng.pko.dec.com

From: H. Ward Silver" <hwardsil@seattleu.edu (H. Ward Silver)
Subject: Good Callsigns

How about doing ARRL DX CW from Haiti as HH5H?  Run 555 watts and give out
559 reports!  Nobody would dupe you!

..... ..... -.   ..... ..... .....   -.. .   .... .... ..... ....

Yow!
   -.-. --.-  -.-. --.-  -.-. --.-  -.. .  -. ----- .- -..- -..-. --...
    ______________________________
   |  ----    ---------   o o o o |
   | |  / |  | N 0 A X |  o o o o |  "I don't know why they call it
   |  ----    ---------           |   wireless...I've never seen so
   |    () ()   /^^^\   () () ()  |   many wires in all my life!"
   | O  o o o  (o    )  () () ()  |       From the 1920's and
   | O  o o o   \___/   o o o o o |        never more true!
   |______________________________|
     \_/ H. Ward Silver, N0AX \_/
        hwardsil@seattleu.edu

From: jholly@hposl62.cup.hp.com (Jim Hollenback) (Jim Hollenback)

On Aug 1,  8:39am, "H. Ward Silver" wrote:
> Subject: Good Callsigns
>
> How about doing ARRL DX CW from Haiti as HH5H?  Run 555 watts and give out
> 559 reports!  Nobody would dupe you!

Certainly you jest about the report ... the only logical report for
a call and power like that is 555 ... couple dits and your done!

73, Jim, WA6SDM
jholly@cup.hp.com

From: John-Warren@easy.com (John Warren, NT5C) (John Warren, NT5C)

Trey's callsign is particularly memorable on ssb:

      WAXAHACHIE NICARAGUA FOUR KNICKERBOCKER KNICKERBOCKER NICARAGUA

                                                     John, NT5C.

From: John-Warren@easy.com (John Warren, NT5C) (John Warren, NT5C)
Subject: TH7 vs. KT-34XA, etc.

Fred K1VR wrote:

|Ability to stay up in the sky -
|
|     The TH7 is ruggedly built.  It stays up in the air
|through wind and ice storms in New England, especially if
|constructed (or, see below, reconstructed) with stainless
|steel hardware.  I've looked at KT-34XA's and they seem to
|have lots of little plastic parts and small pieces of
|tubing.  I am prepared to believe that they have more gain
|than a TH7, but are they as rugged?

I believe that the TH7 and KT-34XA are so closely matched in electrical
performance, that mechanical differences should receive a lot of
consideration in choosing between them.
Fred is right - the TH7 is significantly more rugged. Also, KLM had another
problem with the KT-34XA plastic parts -
they deteriorated in the hot/bright sunlight of Texas.
The replacement parts were no better, I'm told.

                                    John, NT5C.

From: k8mr@barf80.nshore.org (Jim Stahl) (Jim Stahl)
Subject: Contests and good callsigns

Rich Boyd, KE3Q, writes:

   >There comes a point the odd long ones like WN4KKN, WD8AUB,
   >WD8LLY, and KA4RRU stand out and are memorable.

Oh really?  Do you really mean WD8LLY?  Or have you just been the
most recent of many to bust the call of my good friend, Goose,
WD8LLD?

Suffice it to say Goose is eagerly waiting for a form 610-V, and
I think when the call comes through it will be worth another 10%
to his score to have a call easily copied and remembered long
enough to get down on paper or keyboard.

Jim Stahl   K8MR

----------------------------
Jim Stahl
InterNet: k8mr@barf80.nshore.org
Basic Amateur Radio Frequency, BARF-80 +1 216/237-8208
"Totally devoted to Amateur Radio" - 24 Hrs a day 8/N/1 14.4k-300 baud

From: westnet@iol.ie (Tony Stack EI2GX) (Tony Stack EI2GX)
Subject: No subject

 Hello All,on behalf of the WestNet DX Group I wish to thank
all who took the time to call us during the our operation
from Inis Meain EU-006.I wish especially to thank those who
worked us prior to the contest and came back to qso us
during the contest.I hope we were able to provide a new IOTA
island for many and perhaps a new band/mode country for a
few.I will be going abroad for holidays shortly but on my
return will have the qsl cards printed and begin answering
same.
Best 73's es Gud DX to all de WestNet DX Group

  * Declan EI6FR,Tony EI2GX,Alan EI9IF,Tony EI3HA,Liam
EI7DSB,Emmet EI9IF *
             * Tony GW4VEQ , John GW0ONY , John GW3JXN *
                  * Robert GI0KOW , Andrew GI0NWG *

EI2GX de EI6FR    1-Aug 1730Z >

                                  sysops DUBDX ,Dublin DX Cluster

                                DX Cluster......................ei2gx > ei6fr
                                BBS .............ei2gx@ei7gm.#81.irl.eu
                                e-mail..........................westnet@iol.ie

From: Rich L. Boyd" <rlboyd@CapAccess.org (Rich L. Boyd)
Subject: Vanity Call/Out of Area

On KI3V--portable-SEVEN!  That's like my old call...

Whiskey-Alpha-Three-Delaware-South-Dakota!

Rich Boyd KE3Q

From: ni6t@ix.netcom.com (Garry Shapiro ) (Garry Shapiro )
Subject: Filters from In'tl Radio & Computer

You wrote:

>I agree the 400 Hz filter is a reasonable compromise if you only can
have
>one CW filter.  I inquired about the IRC switching arrangement a
couple
>years ago. The lady on the phone was happy to take my
>credit card number, but when I asked for a couple technical details,
there
>was a long delay, then she told me the system wasn't actually
available.

>The 500 Hz filters in my 930 were definitely too
>wide for some contest operation, but the 250 Hz filter is too narrow
>use all the time.  So, I built an add-on box, which lets me switch a
>250 Hz filter in the 455 kHz IF.  Since the 500  Hz filters are always
in
>the path on CW, the 250 Hz filter is cascaded with them, giving
fantastic
>skirts.  (I didn't bother with the narrow 9 MHz filter, because its
shape
>factor is so much worse than the 455 kHz filter it wouldn't help
much.)
>I'm very happy with the results:  That narrow filter can make 40 M
sound
>like a different band!  The 930's phase noise becomes the limiting
factor,
>of course, but only a new radio will fix that.
>
>I also agree that 2.7 kHz is definitely too wide for SSB contest
operation.
>I would change them if I were at all serious about SSB contests.  Even
>for casual operation, I always keep the passband narrowed down a bit.
There's
>no question that a couple good 2.1 kHz crystal filters are far
superior
>to the ceramic filters in the stock 930/940.
>
>73,
>Scott  K9MA

Scott:

Thanks for the specific comments on the IRCI filters for the TS930S.
I agonized for quite a while over which CW filters to order, and I
still have my doubts. (Since they are not coming, anyway, I can
probably agonize for months more.)  Your comment about the shape of the
9MHz narrow filter skirts is food for thought.

The comments I have received from TS930S owners on this List have been
overwhelmingly positive about the benifits of fitting the filters.
Opinions vary somewhat about which ones to choose.

On SSB, I routinely run my SCAF and DSP audio filters  with 1.8 kHZ
cutoffs--partially to compensate for the totally inadequate stock
filter, so I am also anxious to enjoy a new SSB filter set.

Think I will call and make a nuisance of myself....

Garry