CQ-Contest

K8NZ NAQP CW Score

Subject: K8NZ NAQP CW Score
From: Nzharps@aol.com (Nzharps@aol.com)
Date: Sun Aug 6 15:09:52 1995
August,1995 NAQP CW--K8NZ

   160    20-13
     80    56-28
     40  126-38
     20  102-35
     15    43-19
     10    39-18
         _______
           386-151     58,286 pts.    Oper. Time: 6.5 hrs.

 Comments:
    I love this contest, but I hate the time of year.  It always falls
on a beautiful sunny August day(except for this year) and it
conflicts with one of the great social events of the mid-west--
the KN8Z GF&B.  I had intended to go to Doc's and have a great time
and blow off the NAQP, but decided against it at the last minute in
order to get some chores done at home and win some needed
domestic points.
     A continous rain forced me to put off chores and
spend some time at the radio testing my new 40m Loop.  Of course
one cannot spend just a little time in NAQP especially with above
average conditions.  Was very surprised to hear 10/15 open into
the early evening and I'm sure the TX boys rolled up some massive
totals on those bands.  Some day I'll be able to hear well on those
bands and find out what their potential is from my home QTH.
Had a great time and hope to see everyone on SSB.

      73,
      Ron, K8NZ

From: ke7gh@primenet.com (Brian Short) (Brian Short)
Subject: NAQP Score (revised)

Made a small mistake in my log, so now a higher score!  73 de Brian

                              NA QSO SUMMARY SHEET

    Contest Dates : 05-Aug-95, 06-Aug-95

    Callsign Used : KE7GH
         Operator : KE7GH

         Category : sop

 Default Exchange : Brian AZ

             Name : Brian K. Short
          Address : 1994 E Laguna Dr
   City/State/Zip : Tempe, AZ 85282
          Country : United States

        Team/Club : Central Arizona DX Association

   80CW       21          21         21      10
   40CW      128         128        128      42
   20CW      271         271        270      49
   15CW       80          80         80      32

 Totals      500         500        499     133

    Final Score = 66367 points.

From: becker@shell.portal.com (Tony and Celia Becker) (Tony and Celia Becker)
Subject: AE0M NAQP Score

                              NA QSO CW

  BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Mults  Ants (100% aluminum free)
  80CW       34          34         34      18   GP @ 8'
  40CW       97          97         97      40   Delta Loop @ 8'
  20CW       94          91         91      37   Delta Loop @ 12'/ Attic Dipole
  15CW       30          30         30      14   Delta Loop @ 16'/ Attic Dipole
  10CW        9           9          9       4   Attic Dipole @ 28'
Totals      264         261        261     113

    Final Score = 29493 points.

RIG: FT-990, FL7000 at 150W & 486DX2-66 MHz running N6TRLog version 5.24.
Late night work this week precluded a full effort.  I moved the 20m delta
loop further out of the tree and a bit higher, but the attic dipole is
still better for some contacts, esp. one hop.  No neighbor RFI complaints
yet.  Off time stategy was dictated by falling asleep at 2023 and again at
0137 for 90 min ea. and 3 hours off.  28 band changes (fully automatic ant.
switching with auto tune amp was fun to play with).

Best 10m rate was at 0431 (90/hr) and best hour 0410-0510 (61/hr); that
vertically polarized 40m loop works well.

I gotta figure out a better antenna for 20m; maybe the 20m delta loop
should be polarized horizontally instead of vertically?

AE0M, Tony Becker - becker@shell.portal.com - Silicon Valley, U.S.A.

From: Steve Sacco <0006901972@mcimail.com> (Steve Sacco)
Subject: win95 + More

> I have been running version 4.00.484 beta of Win 95, and > agree that it
is the slickest thing since teflon.

Not to start one of these O/S "religious" wars, but if you *REALLY* want to
see an impressive O/S, SKIP Windows '95, and install a copy of Windows NT
v3.5.1.  Then you can see what REAL multi-tasking, etc looks like.

I think it will be incredibly interesting to see what the impact of more
robust Operating Systems, and the inclusion of built-in networking
capability and TCP/IP stacks, and ultra-low cost "Ethernet" boards, will
have on CONTESTING in the future.

Imagine not having to deal with that serial/parallel port silliness, and
just have every dodad accessory be an addressable device hung off of the
LAN. It will be SO much easier to set things up!

Imagine a contest logging program which used a relational database engine
running on a PC somewhere on the LAN.  You could do all manner of
interesting queries against it during and after the contest ("I wonder how
many XY1's I worked on 80?" SELECT COUNT * FROM log WHERE callsign LIKE
"XY1%" AND band = "80").

Imagine contest logging software with which you can integrate resources
like those available on the World Wide Web. You could do things like real-
time browsing of the OH2BUA "WebCluster", or view up-to-the-minute maps of
the aurora at both poles, or have extended capability of the "SUPER CHECK
PARTIAL" kind of function which automatically did a look-up to an up to
date callsign server maintained by that country's licensing authority.  Of
course, you could be doing all of this while logging Q's, AND viewing the
latest pix of Alecia Silverstein on her WWW page!

Cool.

I've been spending too much time in the Florida sun.

Back to the towers; there's only 11 weekends left after this one before
CQWW Phone.

Steve KC2X
Narcoosee, Florida (only minor damage from Hurricane Erin)
ssacco@mcimail.com

From: KE2PF <0002017515@mcimail.com> (KE2PF)
Subject: WAE Rules?

   Could someone in Europe please re-post the CORRECT version of the
Worked All Europe rules? I know the correct date, but CQ magazine
shows it as a 48 Hour contest while QST shows it as only 36 hours.
I am more inclined to believe CQ magazine (QST contest coverage really
@#!#s!!!), but I would like to make sure.
   I know they were posted here a couple weeks ago, but I must have lost
them while deleting the dozens of QRL messages.
   Thanks for the help, and hope to see you on next weekend.
73, Dave KE2PF
Frankford RC
US Coast Guard
Cape May, NJ