CQ-Contest

NAQP Score

Subject: NAQP Score
From: w9sz@prairienet.org (Zack Widup)
Date: Mon Aug 7 00:03:57 1995

Hi,
        Here's my results for the NAQP. I only had very limited time, a
little over 2 hours to operate, but it was fun! Entirely S & P operation.
See you all next one.

                  NORTH AMERICAN QSO PARTY  1995

      Call: W9SZ       Name: Zack    State: IL
      Mode: CW                       Category: Single Operator

      BAND     QSO    QSO PTS    STATES/PROV

      160        0        0           0
       80        9        9           9
       40       40       40          21
       20       40       40          21
       15        0        0           0
       10        0        0           0
     -----------------------------------

     Totals     89       89          51  =   4,539

From: Takao KUMAGAI <je1cka@dumpty.nal.go.jp> (Takao KUMAGAI)
Subject: No Interne connection during contest(Re: win95 + More)

on 95/08/06, Steve Sacco writes:

:   Imagine contest logging software with which you can integrate resources
:   like those available on the World Wide Web. You could do things like real-
:   time browsing of the OH2BUA "WebCluster", or view up-to-the-minute maps of
:   the aurora at both poles, or have extended capability of the "SUPER CHECK
:   PARTIAL" kind of function which automatically did a look-up to an up to
:   date callsign server maintained by that country's licensing authority.  Of
:   course, you could be doing all of this while logging Q's, AND viewing the
:   latest pix of Alecia Silverstein on her WWW page!

Yes, you can do this technically.

However DO NOT this during CQ WW DX contest. In my understanding,
the rule prohibit to use any phone connections or the Internet
connections for all classes. Even M/M class is not allowed to use
phone calls during contest.

So if your Packetcluster(tm) has regular connection to other
countries/continent via the Internet, you should disconnect them
during contest.

        ---------
        Tack Kumagai JE1CKA/KH0AM
        TEL:81-30-066-6408, FAX:81-423-93-4449
        Internet: je1cka@nal.go.jp

From: Marijan Miletic <s56a@ljutcp.hamradio.si> (Marijan Miletic)
Subject: FT-1000 speaker BANG

Hi Contesters,
I unpluged headphones 8 hours after the end of EUHFC and I heard famous BANG in
the FT-1000 speaker.  This speaks a lot for a quality of components uaed a
as 1 mF electrolytic capacitor decopling DC from speaker did NOT discharge.
Cheap 100 Ohm resistor might solve this problem but it can not be found even in
rigs manufactured by famous Hi-Fi company.  There is a room for "new tecnology"
similar to 2 keyer inputs in some recent rigs!
73 de Mario, S56A, N1YU.
Disclaimer:  Above posting is NOT advertising for Japanese radios NOR JA
bashing!  No comercial interests involved but humble wishes...

From: Takao KUMAGAI <je1cka@dumpty.nal.go.jp> (Takao KUMAGAI)
Subject: RUFZ score(rev 8/07/95)

This is 2nd report for the RUFZ Score listing at Aug. 07, 95

  1     40654    W2UP  38 416  7.146600
  2     36807  KC5NWX   7 367  7.779200         (=KR0Y)
  3     32836    N8RR  67 367  5.992600
  4     32070    K1AR  20 367  5.647600
  5     31710  DL3DZZ  19 367  7.180100
  6     31688    K1DG  24 367  5.530400
  7     31101  JE1JKL  20 347         ?
  8     28859  JH0KHR   1 347  6.360500
  9     27596   KE2PF  44 328  5.580000
 10     24895    K5ZD  24 328         ?
 11     24267  JH0NZN  27 312  5.771800
 12     23915    N3RS  23 312  4.683600
 13     21281   KJ4VH  23 284  4.658000
 14     21133  JA0FVU  22 284  5.068200
 15     21116    ND3F   ? 297         ?
 16     20744  JE1SPY  15 312         ?
 17     20571    AD1C   4 297  3.900300
 18     19076    K1IU  15 271  3.818100

Here are some comments;

 =========
Here is a copy of my rfzhiscr.dta file. I use many different callsigns when
running RUFZ. KC5NWX is my "club" call which I intend to change to a "vanity"
call for contests, but keep KR0Y for ragchew, etc. I assure you that KR0Y is
the operator for all of the scores listed below, except the DL3DZZ, hi!!

I too was very surprised by the 36807 score since I have not been able to do
better than 35208 any other time. I do not understand exactly how the score
is calculated, but I do know that a longer call=more points. Since the calls
are sent at random I think for that 36807 score I must have had many 6 letter
calls. Tonight I will load the master.dta file for RUFZ and see what happens.

Please send me a list of what "high claimed" scores you have now.

161
Jeff  KR0Y
jsteinman@aol.com
 =====

Hi Tack - FInally broke 40K! Think it is time to retire, unless, of
course, someone beats the score :.) :.)
I do think there is a timing problem in the program. Even at relatively
slow speeds, I am having trouble with S/H, B/D, U/V. Sounds like a QSK
rig with slow relay :.)
73 Barry

Barry N. Kutner, W2UP       Internet: barry@w2up.wells.com
 ======

I've been collecting your score(RFZHISCR.DTA) and comment to
me directly.
mailto:je1cka@nal.go.jp

 ======
How to get RUFZ program
        ftp://maspar.maspar.com/pub/k2mm/rufz/rufz.zip
        ftp://ftp.eskimo.com/u/o/oolon/rufz.zip

        mail:info-contest@dumpty.nal.go.jp
with
        #get rufzpack.uue
in the body of the message.

        ---------

From: shell@callamer.com (William Shell) (William Shell)
Subject: Windows 95

>i'm not sure that win95 is ready for prime time...
>
>mitch
>wa4osr

Hi Mitch,

It sounds more like your hardware is not ready for prime time.

I have installed Win95 on several systems, and have only had
good results.  It has worked well with all of the programs that I
have tried.  Although, I did have a problem with the drivers for
my 8-port serial card from Digiboard.  But, they provided me an
updated installation file, and all is now well.

You should try Win95 again someday, after you upgrade your systems.

73, Bill
WA6IET

p.s. CT is one of the programs that I use.

From: Larry Schimelpfenig <lschim@mailstorm.dot.gov> (Larry Schimelpfenig)
Subject: K7SV NAQPCW SCORE

                       1995 NCJ NORTH AMERICAN QSO PARTY

     Call used: K7SV                                           Location: VA

     Category: Single Op All Band         Mode: CW              Power: 100W

     Callsign of Operator: K7SV

     If multi-operator, show calls of all operators and loggers:

     Exchanged Information: K7SV LARRY VA

     Hours of Operation: 09:55

     band      QSOs     points    mults

     DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

     160         28        28       15

      80         82        82       40

      40        124       124       46

      20        158       158       44

      15         87        87       35

      10         55        55       25

     DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

     TOTAL      534       534      205      SCORE: 109,470

     Club or Team Name: PVRC of course

     Comments:Sporadic E was tremendous Friday night; 10mtrs open from

     New England through midwest until at least midnight. There was some

     E Saturday, but not enough to make the east coast competitive with

     the guys down south. Impressed with all the new yl's getting into

     contesting from the midwest (strange that they are all named

     Laurie!). Several om black hole ops very apparently missing!

     I, by virtue of my statement below, have taken part in the

           1995 NCJ NORTH AMERICAN QSO PARTY on 08/05/1995

     conscientiously applying my most ethical interpretation of the

     published rules for this contest.

     Date_8/6/95________ Signature_Larry Schimelpfenig_____ Call_K7SV_______

     Name: Larry Schimelpfenig             Call: K7SV

           12802 Lee Lake Dr.

           Spotsylvania, VA 22553

From: James Hurt <jhurt@freenet.columbus.oh.us> (James Hurt)
Subject: August CQ Magazine Cover

I was carefully reviewing my August CQ to see how I fared in the 160
contests (had to get that contest word in there), and was struck
dumbfounded by the picture on the cover. If I see what I think I see,
N0RR is perched on the side of a CRANK-UP TOWER!

Now, around here, that is considered living very dangerously.
Either I am grossly mistaken, or he is very bold indeed.

It will be interesting to see if he lives to be an old contester
(there's that "c" word again) by climbing crank-up towers that are
fully extended.

73, Jim
KC8MK

P.S. Didn't do too badly in the contest for Ohio.

From: Greg Becker <gb546@bard.edu> (Greg Becker)

On Sun, 6 Aug 1995, Will Sill wrote:

> Admitting in advance that I regard WINDOZE as a virus, I gotta wonder why
> anyone would NEED to use any version of it when CT and NA both run just
> FINE in DOS?  Why add additional complexity to what is (after all) a very
> simple process?
>
> will@epix.net - KD3XR - W F Sill, Tunkhannock, PA

Well, since you feel you really have to know, Win95 was being beta tested
on that machine, and I didn't have time to uninstall before Field Day.
Hope I was able to set all wondering minds to rest.