CQ-Contest

Motors for towers

Subject: Motors for towers
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Wed Feb 28 23:18:47 1996
> am looking for a motor ro raise and lower my Hygain HG70HD.
>So far, I believe a 2000 lb Hoist by WARN,  12V motor to be the best
>option.  Full list price is $872. The other option is the US Towrs MD75,
list price $889.75. A third option, which appears to be marginal is a 1000 lb
hoist by WARN
>priced at $550.
>The Hygain engineering data shows line pull at 523 lb and appears to be
>twice that actually calculated and assumes antenna weight of 50 lbs. Ratings
not available on the US Tower motor drive.Do you have an opinion on best buy?
 I am currently using the factory supplied 2500lb hand winch and need to be
able to drop the tower for thunderstorms here in TX and hate to spend 40 mins
cranking it up each time.  Hiya, Jim --
     Well, I'm no expert on crankup engineering but...
     First of all, Hy-Gain buys their motor drives from US Tower.  It sounds
like you may be fluent with the engineering and forces for this type of
project but it's not the type of project I would recommend to the average
ham.  I would probably get the US Tower setup since they seem to be the most
active manufacturer in this area and this wouldn't be anything new for them.
 Their stuff is designed for crankups where a naked Warn winch would need
controls, mount fabrication, etc.  Any other comments out there?
73 and let me know what you decided to do and how it turned out.
Steve   K7LXC