CQ-Contest

NCJ CTT&T column

Subject: NCJ CTT&T column
From: BK1ZX70SFL@aol.com (BK1ZX70SFL@aol.com)
Date: Wed Mar 13 21:42:02 1996
my outgoing e-mail is QFU, hope this gets off my disk and headed your way,
Gary.

....all I gotta say about two radio contesting, other than it is great, is
that after doing it you realise how much time is wasted using your brain to
listen to yourself call cq! If we don't recognize our own cq's by the time we
start contesting...well, I guess we never will!

After the recent cq-contest reflector discussion of how many unanswered cq's
are frequently sent by big guns...all I can say is guys - they aren't CQing,
they are listening (on another band)......oops, the secret is out.

Jim    K1ZX

From: Steven Sample <aa9ax@iglou.com> (Steven Sample)
Subject: ON4UN and his tubes

On Wed, 13 Mar 1996, Bill Coleman AA4LR wrote:

> >It's time to go back to the 813's, please eliminate blower noise.
> >Nothing like a quiet shack and all your regrets may be over.
>
> Why have a blower at all? Aren't there adequate conduction-cooled tubes out
> there.
>
> For that matter, why aren't there more solid-state amplifiers? Certainly in
> the nearly 50 years since the invention of the transistor engineering a
> solid-state amp can't be THAT difficult. It may require more protection
> circuits, but hey, the recent Alpha's have all that.
>
> >            Dr. Bafoofnik ****
>
> WHO is this guy?
>
> Bill Coleman, AA4LR      Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
> Quote: "Not in a thousand years will man ever fly!"
>             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

"THIS GUY" happens to be one of the heros of amateur radio.  His virtual
operating skills rival that of the best heart surgeon, thus; the moniker
"Doctor Bafoofnik".  Using the patented "Flying Wedge" operating system
devised in a marathon guzzling session at a contest suite during the 1993
Dayton Hamvention at Stouffer's by W3GH, the Good Doctor (AKA W9XR) and
AA9AX, Bafoof has laid waste to many megacycles of spectrum.  When there
is no active contest, the Doctor has turned to the Internet to strike
fear into the hearts of other contesters and Wannabes with his
Kung-Fu-like wit and salty (ie: anchovie acid paste) anecdotes.  Known as
the keeper of the Royal Fish Head Gas cylinder of the ages, he and the
Green Hornet toil night and day (on contest weekends) to find the cure
for new strains of that deadly scourge of contest shacks.  As he told me
only this evening, "Why didn't someone tell us thirty years ago that
chewing on solder was bad for us?"

Yes...next time someone asks YOU who Dr. Bafoof is, you will know how to
properly respond.  He IS Ham Radio!!!  He is the CW (vs. phone) as Peanut
butter is to jelly;  as day is to night;  as Fish Head Gas is to Argon
gas;  as some second-rate midwestern station is to a first-rate east
coast (or Pennsylvania) Superstation; etc.  Get the point???  He is MY
IDOL!  (So is the Green Hornet!)  The tears are falling into my
programmable keyboard now, so I shall turn away from this emotional
issue.  73, and please.....NEVER FORGET THE GOOD (NO...GREAT!) DOCTOR!

Steve/AA9AX>

From: Takao KUMAGAI <je1cka@dumpty.nal.go.jp> (Takao KUMAGAI)
Subject: Past Press Release and Q&A

For Your Information

Past WRTC PRESS RELEASES #1-#6 and Q&A are now retrievable.

        file_name       size(byte)      contents
        wrtc-faq        20817   Q & A about WRTC-96
        wrtc-pr1        1757    Press release #1
        wrtc-pr2        1684    Press release #2
        wrtc-pr3        2040    Press release #3
        wrtc-pr4        7728    Press release #4
        wrtc-pr5        1553    Press release #5
        wrtc-pr6        3825    Press release #6

You send a command email to
        wrtc-info@dumpty.nal.go.jp

With the following command or commands in the body of the message.
(Do not forget to start with "#get")
ex.
#get wrtc-faq
#get wrtc-pr1

These commands will be processed and answered back to your From:
or Reply-To: address automatically.

     ==== Let's support "WRTC-96"! =====

If you have any problem, contact me directly.
        ---------
        Tack Kumagai JE1CKA/KH0AM
        TEL:81-30-066-6408, FAX:81-423-93-4449
        Internet: je1cka@nal.go.jp

From: Eugene Walsh <0004504465@mcimail.com> (Eugene Walsh)
Subject: ON4UN's Tubes & Bafoofnik

Gents:

Well, there are 3 people who always hear me
on 160 or 80 Meters, whether I am using an
antenna or, perhaps, the top end of a broken
D string from the old banjo.  They are 4X4NJ,
OH2BH/anywhere and ON4UN.  I have worked ON4UN
on 160 running 25 watts to a metal "Out basket"
on my desk!  What a shocking surprise to learn
that he does it all with his "Tubes".  And here
I was, about to raise a glass of Hoegaarden in salute.

Re: Dr Bafoofnik;  Someone said "WHO is this guy?"
It's about time we had a decent "Masked Man" around here.

73 N2AA

From: WF3T <steve.steltzer@paonline.com> (WF3T)
Subject: WARNING Antenna Aloft! and WRTC96

Ugly wrote:
snip

>It was about this time that a chill ran down my spine as I cruised down I-94
>half aware of my surroundings. You see, I work for the local electric
>utility as a Power Quality Engineer. This background and a little common
>sense and imagination brought horrific scenes to my mind of the entirely
>possible and lethal consequences of launching a conductor into the air by
>balloon (or by kite).

Hmmm, what about the entirely possible horrific and lethal consequences of
driving down the Interstate half aware of your surroundings?  :-)

And my 2 cents worth on WRTC: Sounds like somebody has a personality/ego
problem. I think it's the greatest thing to happen to contesting since the
first one. Kudos to all involved in making this a reality.
                                                                73, Steve

*\*  steve.steltzer@paonline.com (WF3T)  *\*
*\*        Harley Davidson Inc.          *\*