CQ-Contest

Rohn anchor drawings

Subject: Rohn anchor drawings
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Fri Mar 15 11:44:35 1996
> The drawing has a note that says
>something like ..."12 inch spacing, both faces." Well last time I looked at
>rectangular block (be it concrete or whatever) it had six faces not just
two.
>Now I realize that the guy tension is bearing primarily on two faces (top
and
>front), but wouldn't it be a good idea for the integrity of the anchor to
>rebar all six faces, or is this a waste of time.

Hiya, Matt --

   Yes, your deduction that the guy tension bearing in on two faces (top and
front) is correct.  This is also illustrated on the Rohn drawing C620643-R
and those are the two faces that they are refering to where they want the
rebar.  There's probably nothing to be gained by having rebar below and
behind the anchor in the concrete.  ALWAYS follow the manufacturer's
specifications as your construction minimum.  If you want to over-engineer
and over-build it, follow accepted standards and practices.  Sometimes tower
and antenna builders do things that have more psychological benefits since
they add little tangible improvement to the system.  If it makes you feel
more comfortable, feel free to pursue it as long as you've followed the
manufacturer's specs up to that point.

73 and good luck,    Steve    K7LXC

From: C. Logan Dietz (KE5FI)" <ke5fi@WT.NET (C. Logan Dietz (KE5FI))
Subject: Heil Boomset and ICOM

Tony Wanschura wrote:

> Chuck,
> I seem to remember from my Icom days that a small series capacitor
> is needed in the mic line in order to get adequate drive from many

The cap is needed to keep the Icom 8 volts off your mic cart.  Icom uses
amplified microphones and the Heil is not amplified.  There is 8 volts on
the mic audio center conductor for the Icom mic amps...

Heil says to increase the first audio state gain with the resistor
change.  I still don't know which resistor it is!

Chuck, KE5FI

From: C. Logan Dietz (KE5FI)" <ke5fi@WT.NET (C. Logan Dietz (KE5FI))
Subject: ICOM

David L. Thompson wrote:

> Chuck,
>
> I really like ICOM gear, But why do they make it so hard to use anything but
> an ICOM mic????
>
> I used the new BM-10 on the 775 at HRO and you are right it does not work as
> well as the old 740.
> Guess I keep looking at the 1000MP.
>
> 73, Dave K4JRB

The rig is great...even without the amplification it works fine, but to
get full compression for contesting, you need a little more
amplification....  Most hams don't even know they need more amplification
and are quite happy.

I use an outboard amp on 10 meters and it works great.  The problem comes
in where I have RF in the shack due to SWR or being close to the antennas
on low bands...

Chuck, KE5FI

From: Pete Soper <psoper@encore.com> (Pete Soper)
Subject: surge suppressors for balanced lines (conclusion)

Well, it took six weeks and intervention with the head of ICE to
get them made at the factory, but I got three model 309H surge
suppressors for balanced lines. I've figured out just how I'm going
to mount mine on ground rods below the antennas, with a coax
suppressor at the ground panel outside the shack serving as a
second line of defense. The other guy in the area who got one
of the three units will be mounting his right at his "Humongous!"
brand copper ground bar with his other suppressors. Just need to
get a test for transparent transmit operation on 160 meters done and
I'll be ready to sign off on these and get on with my life.

The bad news is that I was told that these three were the last model
309 suppressors that ICE will be making. They have no interest in this
product anymore. Perhaps this was an emotional statement and they'll
have a change of heart, but I'm not holding my breath.

So as I add antennas with balanced feeders I may have to reverse
enginner the ICE unit (and figuring out the type of toroid it has
inside is the only trick to that: maybe they'll take pity on
me and just tell me). Or else I could use the "spark plug" type
suppressors Wireman is said to sell, or trust myself to make them
and get the gap right :-)

As the first big boomers of the year rattle my windows,
Pete
KS4XG

From: ik0hbn@isa.it (Sante Lillo) (Sante Lillo)
Subject: Bartg

Hi,
I will be on air for BARTG contest: I hope to copy you.
IK0HBN : single op. all band
Contacts will be confirmed via bureau.
see you in pile up
gl es ciao
Sante

73 es DX de Sante

Sante LILLO  (IK0HBN)
Localita' Saineta, 3
01030 Bassano in Teverina (VT) Italy
home telephone: +39 (0) 761-407543  (FAX on demand)
internet : ik0hbn@isa.it
packet adr: IK0HBN@I0INU.IUMB.ITA.EU
DX cluster : I0JBL-6

From: Setzler" <setzler@c813.npt.nuwc.navy.mil (Setzler)
Subject: EWE Antennas...

>From: Steve Sacco KC2X on Thu, Mar 14, 1996 8:42 PM
>Subject: EWE Antennas...
>To: cq-contest

>Well, now that we have nearly a whole Winter season under our belts,
>would anyone who built and used one of those EWE antennas be
>good enough to share their observations?

>I may be able to borrow some of my neighbors' property for a Beverage
>or two (which will doubtless out-perform the EWE), but I'm still
>looking for a solution for the other directions.

>73,
>Steve KC2X
>kc2x@nebula.ispace.com

I built two EWEs last fall.  Both were constructed to the dimensions cited in
the first QST article for a compromise between 80 and 160 coverage.  They were
erected well prior to the publication of the second QST article that described
the array of four EWEs.  A few weeks later, I put up a short (~200')
terminated Beverage to the NE.

I thought that the receive pattern of the EWEs might be negatively impacted
from close proximity to each other.  With that in mind, I tried to keep them
as far apart as practical.  One was oriented NE and the other SW and were
sited with one facing the other, separated by about 15'.  From the end of each
EWE, a shielded wire ran about 8' to a switching relay arrangement I
constructed to select which EWE would be fed to a ZJ Beverage Box.  From the
ZJ box approximately 100' of RG-8X runs to an ICE splitter (includes a 2-4 dB
preamp) and then to a switching relay box to select whether the TS-940 listens
on the transmit antenna or receive only antenna.

During the first week of operation, the EWEs just didn't seem to hear very
well when compared to my transmit antennas (80:  1/4 sloper at 64';  160:  1/4
sloper at 100').  Over the course of 3-4 nights of listening, the NE could
hear a little, but the SW was pretty deaf.  I thought it was the EWE select
relay and/or the wire from the EWE to the relay box.  I changed the wire from
the EWEs to the relay box and noticed no improvement.  I then removed the
relay box and connected the ZJ Box directly to the NE EWE.  This seemed to
make some difference.  The NE EWE could now hear - at least on 80.  It was
reasonably directional and, although signal strength was way down, it was much
quieter than the sloper.  I was able to pull European 80 meter signals out of
the noise with the EWE that were not copiable on the sloper.  Performance on
160 was never better on the EWE than the sloper.

Just before NAQP I disconnected the NE EWE and hooked up the SW EWE instead.
Performance was much poorer on 80 and, as somewhat expected, on 160 as well
when compared to what I'd been experiencing with the NE EWE.  Before, during
and after  NAQP both of the slopers heard much better than the SW EWE.

A few weeks later (and in a few feet of snow), I erected a ~200' terminated
Beverage oriented NE.  I put the ZJ Beverage Box on it and ran ~200' of RG-8x
to the shack.  In some instances the NE EWE was a (very) little better that
the Beverage, but in almost all situations the short NE Beverage out performed
the NE EWE.

In order to continue the investigation (and in an effort to hear JAs on 80!),
I reversed the Beverage so it was now oriented SW.  When directed to the SW,
the Beverage now suffered from very high noise levels.  I've never encountered
it here before, but it sounds like I have line noise towards the SW/W.
Although the SW EWE was not a real good performer, it did reject the line
noise better than the SW Beverage;  but the slopers seem to hear better than
either of the SW oriented receive antennas.

The bottom line here:  The EWE works - not great, not always better than a
Beverage - but it works.  For those with limited acreage for adequate
Beverages, the EWE, I think, would be a very worthwhile investment for
improved reception (at least on 80).

I'm planning to move in the next few months and I'm thinking about new
antennas on a green site.  If I build on the property I want, my current plans
are to assemble a four EWE array similar to that described in the follow-on
QST article.  This would be in addition to two ~500' Beverages oriented East
and West.

73 James / kd1ng

From: David Robbins <robbins@berkshire.net> (David Robbins)
Subject: WARNING Antenna Aloft!!!

> On my way home from work today I was considering using this method of
> launching a monster 160M antenna of my own. (after a while even a full size
> insulated base vertical seems inadequate) I had it almost all figured out,
> even how I could launch a pair and keep the proper spacing and phase them.
> Neat!
>
> It was about this time that a chill ran down my spine as I cruised down I-94
> half aware of my surroundings. You see, I work for the local electric
> utility as a Power Quality Engineer. This background and a little common
> sense and imagination brought horrific scenes to my mind of the entirely
> possible and lethal consequences of launching a conductor into the air by
> balloon (or by kite).

not to mention the consequences of getting into the way of a low flying
plane.  in this area i am in the path of a low level air force training
route, i even notified them before putting up my 150' tower which their
a-10's promptly surveyed the next weekend giving me an excellent air show.
getting up to 300' would put me right in their path, not to mention what
might happen if it got away and went higher into the normal pattern of
surrounding airports.  i think there are still rules about going above
200' which probably would be pointed out very quickly if a monster
floating antenna caused any damage to a plane.

--
ky1h@berkshire.net   or   robbins@berkshire.net
http://www.berkshire.net/~robbins/ky1h.html

From: Fred Hopengarten" <k1vr@k1vr.jjm.com (Fred Hopengarten)
Subject: Dayton Air fares

Radhames, HI3AB, who is a contester but not on the internet,
wants to know if anyone knows of a really good air fare for
a round trip to Dayton from NY, NJ, Boston or Miami.  He can
get to any of those places easily.

Any good deals out there?
--
                      Fred Hopengarten K1VR
           Six Willarch Road * Lincoln, MA 01773-5105

From: Martin Durham" <wt1s@msn.com (Martin Durham)
Subject: K8JP

K8JP where are you??.....please excuse the F1 approach here.....I've tried to
send an e-mail to palooka@pyrotechnics.com twice, and gotten bounced twice.
Joe, please send me your valid e-mail address to:

wt1s@msn.com   or   wt1s@cybergate.net

thanks Marty, WT1S

From: w7ni@teleport.com (Stan Griffiths) (Stan Griffiths)
Subject: Thanks!

K0HB said:

>A few weeks ago I posted a message here which basically asked
>"What is the intangible edge that consistently puts some operators/
>stations in the top ten box."
>
>For a few days the reflector literally hummed with great insights
>from little guns, big guns, and even an occasional savant.
>
>> "Can it be described as gushing? It's enough to make one
>> puke." --KP4XS
>
>I'm sorry that the responses caused KP4XS to almost puke, but I
>want to express my thanks to everyone of you who took the time
>to share your thoughts with us here on the reflector. There was
>more useful information in those responses than in my whole
>collection of NCJ's.
>
>Thanks again, guys!
>
>73, de Hans, K0HB

KP4XS needs to learn how to recognize and accept a genuine compliment . . .
just in case he ever gets one . . .

Stan w7ni@teleport.com

From: lhaas@pratique.fr (Laurent HAAS - F6FVY) (Laurent HAAS - F6FVY)
Subject: Where to find WPX 95 SSB final results on Internet ?

Everything is in the title !

Thanks and 73s.

Larry  -  F6FVY (op. @ TM1C during that contest).

          |         Laurent HAAS - Amateur radio station - F 6 F V Y
   /      |
  /  /  / |  23 Rue de la Duee   | Packet radio : F6FVY@F6ABJ.FRPA.FRA.EU
 /--/--/  |      Boite 16        |       e-mail : lhaas@pratique.fr
   /  /   | 75020 PARIS - FRANCE |    home page : http://www.pratique.fr/~lhaas
----

From: steven@zianet.com (Steve Nace KN5H) (Steve Nace KN5H)
Subject: CQ Contest Reflector Disclaimer

Someone said:

>Hi all. First, a disclaimer: I am not a big gun, never expect to be. I am
new to >contesting, only 10 years. Please don't jump on me if this is not of
interest to you, >just ingore it like a "wrong mode spot".

Why does everyone on here seem to think they need to 'disclaim' themselves
prior to asking questions or stating an opinion?

By the way, please don't jump on me if this is not of interest to you, just
ingore it like a "wrong mode spot".

de Hose  KN5H

From: Bruce Lallathin <aa8u@voyager.net> (Bruce Lallathin)
Subject: email address

Does anyone know if Lewis Wilhelm, W7TB, has an email address? I need to
send him some info re. our IARU contest DXpedition to ZK1 this July.

Thank you in advance,
73,
Bruce (AA8U  ZK1AAU  FP/AA8U)
aa8u@voyager.net

From: steven@zianet.com (Steve Nace KN5H) (Steve Nace KN5H)
Subject: N6TR Contest Software - Is it shareware?

Is the N6TR contest software available somewhere for downloading or should I
be ethical and buy it.

Why this post? Too lazy to search all the Web sites for a source of it.

de Hose  KN5H

From: n3rr@cais.cais.com (Bill Hider) (Bill Hider)

At 05:54 PM 3/14/96 -0500, Steve Sacco KC2X wrote:
>Well, now that we have nearly a whole Winter season under our belts,
>would anyone who built and used one of those EWE antennas be
>good enough to share their observations?
>
>I may be able to borrow some of my neighbors' property for a Beverage
>or two (which will doubtless out-perform the EWE), but I'm still
>looking for a solution for the other directions.
>
>73,
>Steve KC2X
>kc2x@nebula.ispace.com

Hi Guys!  Here's my experience with the EWEs:

Last Summer I put up my first EWE using the 160/80 combo EWE as described in
Feb 95, QST.  That design is: 15 ft up, 38 ft across, and 15 ft down.  I
terminated it in a 830 OHM resistance and used the K2ZJ box at the
ground-mounted feed point.  Both ends utilized 4 foot ground rods into good
ground conductivity clay soil.  It was directional to the NE.

The results were superlative.  Not only on 80 but 160 as well.  I was able
to hear stations that were in the noise on my transmit antennas (see
signature, below) on 80 & 160.   I also compared the signal strength to my
transmit antennas.  Those EWE signals that were coming in from the direction
of reception of the EWE and the direction of reception of my transmit
antenna (more easily determined on my rotatable 80M antenna) were always
equal to or less than those on the transmit antenna.

But, signal strength is not the reason to put up a EWE.  Signal to noise
ratio is.

I also had an 8-slinky Beverage that was aimed NE with which I compared to
the EWE.  The slinky was never better than the EWE.  Sometimes they were
equal.  They both reduced the noise levels on 80 & 160 and improved the
signal/noise ratio.

With these results under my belt, in October 1995, I installed 3 more EWEs,
completing my last one the day of the CQ WW SSB CONTEST.  These three were
built using 12 ft sections of aluminum tubing attached to my wooden fence
rails and adding 3 ft of wire to them to attach them to the K2ZJ box and the
terminating resistor.  They were installed for reception South, East, and
West.  The E and W EWEs are back-to-back on a fence line and about 30 feet
from each other.  These two are positioned such that signals from the West
encounter the West EWE before they encounter the East EWE, and vice-versa.

Again, results were fantastic, and measurable.  There is about a 15-20 dB
front to back ratio between the E and W EWE.  I have a switching setup where
I can punch a button to switch from EWE to EWE.  Likewise with the South
EWE, I'm seeing a 15-20dB difference in signal strength between the NE and S
EWEs on some signals.  There are times that I can't hear Southern DX
stations on the E,W, or NE EWE or Slinky that I can hear on the South EWE. I
used the W EWE to receive JAs on 160 this year.  They were much louder on
the EWE than on my inverted "V" xmit antenna (which is broadside NW/SE).

I do not have the space in my yard to install a classical Beverage antenna
so, I do not have any comparison to make there.

I found out that, due to a local broadcast station, my NE EWE was having the
K2ZJ microwave oscillation problem (that was discussed on the Top Band
reflector recently).  I now use a non-amplified K2ZJ box on that antenna and
the problem went away (as the theory says it would).

I am very happy with my four EWEs.  Without them, my 80 and 160 CONTEST
scores would really be suffering.

I should add that I read in someone's response to this thread, that they
considered the 160/80 M EWE design in the FEB 95 QST a "compromise" design.
That is an incorrect classification of this non-resonant type of antenna.
The designer merely used convenient heights and lengths, analysed several,
and came up with a design that produced acceptable results (modelled) on 160
and 80.  That's far different from a resonant antenna "compromise" where the
antenna would be electrically shorter (or longer) on the "compromise" band
than on the "original", or, "basic" band.

I will be glad to relate other anecdotes regarding my EWEs, if anyone wishes
to have more info.

73!

Bill, N3RR@CAIS.COM

Bill, N3RR

n3rr@cais.com OR n3rr@cais.cais.com

       /   /   / / /
      /---/-|-/-/-/
     /   /  |/ / /
            |          >>>>>>>>>    Tower #1 (Heavy-duty AB-105, 134ft):
            |

            |                160M = Inverted "V" @ 134 Ft
            |                 80M = EF-180A @ 149 Ft (on mast w/mast twister)
            |                 40M = 40-2CD (W6QHS ++) @ 134 Ft (on ring rotor)
            |                 20M = 205CA (W6QHS++) @ 100 ft   (on ring rotor)
            |                 15M = 155CA (W6QHS ++) @ 109 Ft  (on ring rotor)
            |                 10M = 105CA @ 141 Ft (on mast w/mast twister)

                                     Tower #2, Hg-52SS, 52 ft crankup:
                              10M - 40M A-4S w/40M dipole element

                                      Rig: IC-781/IC-4KL
                                       PC: 486 DX2/66 clone

                                   RX Antennas:  NE 8-Slinky Beverage
                                                 NE, S, E, W EWEs (160/80)

From: Dale L. Martin" <kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L. Martin)
Subject: ARRL 160 - 1st time

AA8SM wrote:
>*Message:
>From: V.LONG.SA at OCGRV02
>To: >INTERNET:CQ-CONTEST@TGV.COM at OCF_INFORM
>To: >INTERNET:topband@frontier.net at OCF_INFORM
>Subject: ARRL 160 - 1st time
>Contents:
>    Its old news I know, but couldn't help this one. It was my first 160m
>    (topband) contest...there, got both of those in there in one breathe.
>    Was looking at the results in April QST and just noticed that I
>    actually made 2nd place in Ohio. Big spread between W8FN and I. W8FN
>    (if ur on here) how many hours did you operate?

>    Do they hand out certificates for 2nd place? Well, it was fun anyway
>   and next year I'll operate more than 9 hours, maybe that will put me on
>    the top.

>    Scott  AA8SM

Is this what IT's all about or what?

Dale Martin, KG5U
Houston, Texas
e-mail: kg5u@hal-pc.org
packet: kg5u@f6cnb.setx.tx.usa.noam

From: Bill Turner <wrt@eskimo.com> (Bill Turner)
Subject: Poisson de Avril Warning

At 03:14 PM 3/15/96 -0500, ND3F wrote:
>Bill :  you are welcome to use my antennas for PDA.
>As an avid QRPPer, I always get 5nn reports in contests,
>sometimes 5nn+40 (especially on 80M), so with your
>power, you will really have fun for a day or so.  I wouldn't
>worry about the feed line loss between here (Maryland), and
>your place--since I'm getting 5NNs with 20mw (no kidding), the leakage
>from the coax should net you thousands of QSOs on the
>cross country coax path.
>
>Cheers/73 Brian ND3F
Thanks for the offer, Brian.  Actually, since I'm planning to use the latest
hi-gain coax, the distance between the west coast and Maryland should be a
great help.  With a gain of about 1 db per mile and an input of 20 mw, much
of the east coast would be vaporized.  That is unfortunate of course, but
hey, life is full of tradeoffs...

Poisson d'Avril!

W7LZP

From: Richard.McAllister@Eng.Sun.COM (Rich McAllister) (Rich McAllister)
Subject: USA county information (was Re: Log non-counter QSOs?)

> An humble prayer to USA friends: " Why don't you put your county, printed on
> your card?" A lot of times we can't resolve county and worse, there is not
> any way to do it.

If you have full internet access, including telnet, there *is* an
easy way to do it.  Here's an example.  Use "help" or "?"
to get more information after you connect.

Rich

$ telnet martini.eecs.umich.edu 3000
Trying 141.213.11.44 ...
connected to martini.eecs.umich.edu
# Geographic Name Server, Copyright 1992 Regents of the University of Michigan.
# Version 8/19/92.  Use "help" or "?" for assistance, "info" for hints.
.
Crescent City
0 Crescent City
1 06015 Del Norte