CQ-Contest

Fwd: Bulkhead Construction

Subject: Fwd: Bulkhead Construction
From: BK1ZX70SFL@aol.com (BK1ZX70SFL@aol.com)
Date: Fri May 3 00:05:20 1996
Walt....you're kidding, right....at less than a month away what you need I
guarantee will be at the Flea Market of the Dayton Hamvention.

zx
---------------------
From: Fred Hopengarten" <k1vr@k1vr.jjm.com (Fred Hopengarten)
Subject: DVP Boards

On Wed, 1 May 1996 14:55:47 +-100, "Brian K. Short"
<ke7gh@PrimeNet.Com> wrote:

> I previously mentioned the availability of 2 DVP boards.

> Well I
> have forwarded mail to him and I have no idea if he closed
> a deal or not...wish I had 50 of 'em!
>
> For further DVP board availability information, contact:
> Ron Peters repeters@ix.netcom.com (602)271-7520w 948-4917h

K1VR:  Krassi Petkov N1??? (damn, I forget his call) (a
former LZ1KDP operator, and a very smart mechanical
engineer) has bought the rights to manufacture and sell the
K1EA DVP.  He'll be at Dayton selling them from a booth,
probably in the company of Matt Strelow KC1XX.  If you don't
know Krassi, you haven't met a human dynamo yet.  In ARRL DX
Phone at KY1H, he operated 20 meters and had the highest 20
meter score of any multi-multi.
--
                      Fred Hopengarten K1VR
           Six Willarch Road * Lincoln, MA 01773-5105

From: Stan Stockton <stans@taurus.oursc.k12.ar.us> (Stan Stockton)
Subject: 3/4" CATV line, and that pesky center connector

Jim,

I think there is a better solution for the 3/4 inch hardline connector- a
combination of the best portions of AA1K and KG4W suggestions.  It
involves using a 3/4 inch to 1/2 inch copper pipe reducer (which will
thread onto the 3/4 inch hardline) and a double female connector.

One of the retaining rings from the double female (be sure to buy the good
ones which have retaining rings) is removed so the guts will come out.
The barrel is then inserted into the copper fitting and soldered using a
torch.  The guts are replaced and the end of the 3/4 inch hardline is
prepared so the center conductor will go into the double female when the
fitting is threaded onto the jacket.  Use some NOALOX or similar stuff on
the threads and center conductor.  I've used them for 15 years with no
problems.  They are VERY easy to make and look quite professional.

73,

Stan, K5GO

From: n3rr@cais.cais.com (Bill Hider) (Bill Hider)
Subject: Bulkhead Construction

Walt,

I use PolyPhaser 8-conductor lightning protectors (MOVs) at a NEMA box at
the base of each tower.  That takes the high voltage lightning off the
cables at the towers and then they run underground to a vertical riser to
another NEMA box at the house.  From there they go directly into the shack.

You could put another MOV arrangement at the NEMA box at the house, but
that's probably not necessary.

I use this same protection scheme for the 12V control cables controlling the
relays on the Force12 80M Dipole.

I also MOV protect the early ring rotors I installed  with MOVs at the
rotors themselves.  Later installations I did not go this far.

See u at Dayton!

Bill

From: Eugene Walsh <0004504465@mcimail.com> (Eugene Walsh)
Subject: Pardonez Mois, Cher Ami!

If I may be so bold, we do need a truth in hyperbole law.

As received earlier today:
Date: Fri May  3 00:05:20 1996
From:     Fred Hopengarten
          EMS: INTERNET / MCI ID: 376-5414
          MBX: k1vr@k1vr.jjm.com

Subject:  Re: DVP Boards

K1VR:  Krassi Petkov N1??? (damn, I forget his call) (a
former LZ1KDP operator, and a very smart mechanical
engineer) has bought the rights to manufacture and sell the
K1EA DVP.  He'll be at Dayton selling them from a booth,
probably in the company of Matt Strelow KC1XX.  If you don't
*know Krassi, you haven't met a human dynamo yet.  In ARRL *
* DX Phone at KY1H, he operated 20 meters and had the      *
*highest 20 meter score of any multi-multi.                *
--
                      Fred Hopengarten K1VR

             "Big Antennas etc. etc.

AU CONTRAIRE, MON FRERE!

W3LPL    144/63  741/100  574/ 99 1814/137  363/100  78/18  5,700,000
N2RM     126/54  590/ 95  485/ 91 1810/138  394/ 98  65/13  5,070,000
K1RX      80/46  452/ 82  329/ 86 1750/133  293/ 92  58/14  4,021,281
N3RS      76/48  366/ 81  530/ 91 1298/131  368/ 95  71/14  3,732,900
N2NT      90/50  391/ 85  343/ 80 1312/126  234/ 80  52/13  3,149,000
KY1H      67/45  289/ 78  272/ 72 1202/120  213/ 73  45/14  2,509,686
KY3N      83/48  429/ 87  272/ 74  740/113  271/ 83  41/10  2,280,840

88

N2AA

From: Scott Detloff <ni8l@imperium.net> (Scott Detloff)
Subject: Elevated cable runs

I'm getting ready to start running cables from my two towers.  They are located
170' and 310' away from the house, and the plan is to use 8' 4X4's buried
2' and spaced every 10'.  A "U" shaped bracket will hold a 1/4" guy wire on each
4X4, and the the cable runs attached to the guy wire.  There will be atleast
five 3/4"
CATV, and 6 control line/ rotator cables coming from each tower.  Any
suggestions
on your installation, or installations that you have seen would be greatly
appreciated
for tips.

73...Scott

From: jboyd@ctobbs.com (Jerry Boyd) (Jerry Boyd)
Subject: Contest Station Antennas

To all who responded to my query re antennas vis a vis close by
mountains, thanks.  Did what I should have done in the first
place--tracked down some software to answer this and other questions.
73
Jerry
KG6LF

From: mwdink@eskimo.com (Michael Dinkelman) (Michael Dinkelman)
Subject: Burying the mike

        What's a microphone?

        CW and Contests..... fooooorrrrreeeeevvvvveeeeerrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dink

Michael Dinkelman
WA7UVJ
Kent, WA
mwdink@eskimo.com

From: Dale L. Martin" <kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L. Martin)
Subject: Texas QSO Party County Runners

Here's the list of Texas County Runners as I know them
to date (Friday morning, May 3).

KG5U - Dale Says he will do:

Pecos
Crockett
Upton
Crane
Ector
Midland
Classcock
Martin
Howard
Mitchell
Scurry
Fisher
Jones
Taylor
Callahan
Brown
Eastland
Comanche
Hamilton
Coryell
McClennan
Falls
Bell
Milam
Burleson
Lee
Fayette
Colorado
Wharton
Matagorda
Brazoria
Galveston
Harris

N5RZ - Ralph (aka Gator) Says:
I haven't looked real close at the map, but I'm
planning on about 50 counties this weekend.  All
CW  20M daytime & 40M nite. Will be going North
from Midland Sat Morn hopefully to the Top of the
panhandle & back by Sunday Afternoon.

KN5H - Steve (aka Hose) Says:
He will do some of West Texas.

K5NA - Richard (aka Richard) Says:
He will try to do some counties around San Antonio,
this weekend.

N5RP - Robert (aka Bob) Says:

He will try to do some counties around Houston,
this weekend.

KI3L, AB5TV, WB5N - Don, Madison, Dave

They will do East Texas Counties, this weekend.

Look for all of us.

Work all of us.

Many times (in different counties, of course).

73,

Dale Martin, KG5U
Houston, Texas
http://www.hal-pc.org/~kg5u

From: Dale L. Martin" <kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L. Martin)
Subject: Texas QSO Party Rules

(just a reminder--excuse the bandwidth useage)

Dale Martin, KG5U
Houston, Texas
http://www.hal-pc.org/~kg5u

From: Dale L. Martin" <kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L. Martin)
Subject: Texas QSO Party Rules, part II

(One of these days, I will figure how this works. Excuse me, again)

Contest:  TEXAS QSO Party

Time:  04/1400Z-05/2200Z

Classes:
Single op, Multi-single and Texas Armadillo Expedition
Mixed Mode Only

Exchange:
Send QSO# and Texas County or State/Canadian Province

Rules:

Texas stations work everyone.  Others work Texas only.
Only one transmitted signal at a time.  CW QSOS must be made in CW
subbands, except on 160.  Work stations once per band/mode for QSO
points, work Texas Armadillo stations again on same band or mode as
they change counties for multiplier credit only.  Mults count only
once regardless of band or mode.
CW - 1.805 and 40 khz up
Phone - 1.850, 3.850, 7.230, 14.250, 21.300, 28.450.

Scoring:

Score 2 pts/QSO on phone and 3 pts/QSO on CW.  Final score is QSO
points x Texas  Counties (max 254).  Texas stations multiply by
states, Canadian Provinces and Texas Counties.  DX counts for QSO
points only.

Awards:

Texas Wine Baskets and plaques to top class finishers.
Special awards to Texas Clubs with most logs submitted.
Special awards to multi-single and Texas Armadillo Expedition with the
most Novice/Tech operators( list them with a /T or /N in your list of
operators on summary sheet).
Work 50 or more Texas Counties for Special Commemorative Cap.
Work all 254 Texas Counties for free air fare to the 1996 Houston Ham
Convention!

Send logs and summary sheet via mail, disk or E-mail within 30 days.

Texas DX Society  POB 540291  Houston, Texas 77254
E-mail: KB5YVT@AOL.COM

Results will be posted on the Internet Contest Reflector or sent with
a SASE or via E-mail.

Dale Martin, KG5U
Houston, Texas
http://www.hal-pc.org/~kg5u