CQ-Contest

IN SEARCH OF 5 OHMS !!

Subject: IN SEARCH OF 5 OHMS !!
From: W8JITom@aol.com (W8JITom@aol.com)
Date: Thu May 9 02:46:28 1996

>Maybe this info will be of some help to others
>of you who may be searching for that "low
>resistance path" for lightning to follow. After I
>stop "driving" then I'll begin to attempt to try
>to protect the 12 coax's and mass quantities
>of rotor/switching cables that enter the shack.
>73 Ed KG4W (my arms hurt)

The sad part is after all the work and effort,  dc or low frequency AC ground
resistance still doesn't give the user a complete picture of how effective
the ground system really is for lightning and in particular for RF.

It does give the user a good idea of the protection offered against power
line open neutrals.

73 Tom

From: Bob Patten <n4bp@bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us> (Bob Patten)
Subject: Video document ur contest/pedition

On Thu, 9 May 1996, Charles H. Harpole wrote:

> Please remember that I am a professional video/film guy (scientific name)
> and am interested in traveling with you to your contest or dxpedition
> location to video your efforts and edit results.  Have gear, will travel
> (the more exotic the better, but warm beats cold).  73, K4VUD

Let me know if you need an assistant.  I'm a semi-professional video guy,
work in Engineering Dept. at WPLG-TV in Miami.  I've done my share of
editing, etc.  If you get a really exotic request, I could work for free...
                        73, N4BP

From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com> (Pete Smith)
Subject: Little lots 'n' tall towers

Reference in Scott's summary to liability issues reminded me of something I
discovered recently.  For about $25 a year, State Farm was willing to bump
my homeowner's liability coverage to $1 million, and confirmed that it
definitely would cover the tower-falls-on-neighbor's-house situation.
Actually, I was more worried about the neighbor's-child-climbs-tower-
and-falls-off scenario (also covered), but in any case the cost was much
more reasonable than an umbrella liability policy would have been,
apparently reflecting the reality that most large liability awards involve
auto accidents.

Anyhow, I feel much more comfortable about the legal implications of my
CONTEST station now.

73,

Pete Smith N4ZR (n4zr@contesting.com)

From: Tony Brock-Fisher <fisher@hp-and2.an.hp.com> (Tony Brock-Fisher)

Tom et al-

I have a copy of this study, which I got from Chris. It is colloquially
called the "Gunnar Olsen Study". I have successfully used it to convince
my board of appeals to allow me to put my 70 foot guyed tower 30 feet
from my property line. Photocopies available for a full-size (read LARGE)
SASE...

-Tony, K1KP, fisher@hp-and2.an.hp.com

From: Brian K. Short" <ke7gh@primenet.com (Brian K. Short)
Subject: More Horror Than Humor (long)

I need to set the record straight re my previous post:

1) Yesterday I got a letter from the Postal Inspection
   Service containing one of my missing checks from my
   mail threfts.  The check was "washed" and altered for
   a large amount.  The individuals were caught with 70
   checks and it was a second offense for one of them who
   was out on bail from a previous mail theft charge.

2) I took this information to my neighbors (except for
   one lady) and they were VERY nice to me.  They greatly
   appreciated hearing about this and had no idea why the
   Police were at my house all the time.

3) One neighbor lady who I had never met, told me she thought
   it was "neat" I was a ham since her father is an "old time
   ham."  I told her I do radio contesting on weekends and even
   offered to help with any problems, but she said they have
   NONE in their house.

4) I got an invitation from a retired anthropologist who worked
   in the Micronesia area professionally, she has just lost her
   husband, but told me that I was her "BEST NEIGHBOR."  She wants
   to chat sometime and says she'll keep more accurate financial
   records in the future because of my mail theft.

I WAS the ONLY person in our immediate area to be hit with mail
theft and vandalism, but perhaps the theives equated my antennas
with a ready source of cash - if only it were true!

What have I learned?

1) Perhaps antennas did make me stand out and receive more than my
   share of crime, but it was NOT my neighbors, that I know of.

2) The local Police could care less and did not even beleive me.

3) The Postal Inspector's office is working past the limit on rampant
   mail theft in this area.

4) The Federal prisons are so full the fellow on his SECOND offense
   will likely get less than a year in prison.  (I will be notified
   of the trial as a victim)

5) I should not jump to conclusions and hide from my neighbors
   assuming the worst!

NOW: Looks like green lights for a CONTEST season and seems my zealous
     neighbor lady has been found out.  I was amazed by my neighbor's
     feelings for me and in some strange sense I am now sort of a hero
     among a few of them...

Thanks for all the replies, I used the suggestions given in my own way
and will continue to.  It is unfortunate for a HAM to have a COMMUNICATION
PROBLEM!

73 de Brian  (please excuse bandwidth)

From: Jay Terleski <WX0B-JTERLESKI@worldnet.att.net> (Jay Terleski)
Subject: Room in Dayton - Radison

Business forces me to give up my Dayton plans this year.  I have a confirmed
room
At the Radison FRI and SAT.

Also please note my new E-mail addr.

Wishing I was going to be there with you all.

Jay  214 934 1155 work.

From: Skelton, Tom" <skeltt@mmsmtp2.ColumbiaSC.ATTGIS.COM (Skelton, Tom)
Subject: FW: Little lots 'n' tall towers

<del>
  For you who asked:  The house I am
buying is inside the city limits of Knoxville, TN, and
when I called the city gov't looking for information, I
was hooked up with John Van Hoos, WA4OHS, who
oversees this type of thing - having a ham there really
made it easy to get my questions answered, with him
having a tower of his own in Knoxville.  There are no
height restrictions.  No building permit necessary.
Tower-friendly if I ever saw it.  I did not get the set-back
limitation, however, and that will be my first question
tomorrow.

73 and thanks again             Scott KY2P

 ----------

THAT'S WHAT WE DO!!!!! We (contesters/dx'ers)
infiltrate all the local city planning/zoning commissions
by getting a ham employed there.  :-))

8 days to Dayton, but who's excited??? ME!

73,tom WB4iUX
Tom.SKelton@ColumbiaSC.ATTGIS.COM

From: Gerard Lynch - GI0RTN <U9556982@Queens-Belfast.AC.UK> (Gerard Lynch -
GI0RTN)
Subject: No subject

>> 'A woman is just a woman - but a good cigar is a smoke!' - WC Field

> Do you smoke cigars?  If so, it's good to meet a fellow amateur that also
> enjoys them.

Absolutely!  This causes a bit of a stir in some quarters as I am 18
years old, but who wants to be a fashion victim anyway!  The only
problem is that we have some of the highest cigar prices in the
world here, but I am going to Germany for a month this summer, where
they are a fraction of the price - bliss!

73 and cheers!

-
Gerard Lynch
u9556982@qub.ac.uk              +44 1232 755818         GI0RTN
Belfast, N.Ireland

Need GI on WARC bands???????
Call me on either 10.101 or 10.115MHz CW - most evenings after 2200 UTC!

'Nothing is real' - John Lennon

'A woman is just a woman - but a good cigar is a smoke!' - WC Field