CQ-Contest

Fwd: Re: Our Clique - SK?

Subject: Fwd: Re: Our Clique - SK?
From: BK1ZX70SFL@aol.com (BK1ZX70SFL@aol.com)
Date: Wed May 22 22:14:48 1996
N7ENU de K1ZX

Craig,

I don't think you get it. Mebbe it is me who is confused.

I know I started a contest club a couple of years ago with full intention of
welcoming new guys over during multi-op efforts hoping they would get bitten.
I advertise my willingness to do same by virtue of WX9E's list. Still no joy.

As to the discussion with K1DG. K1DG is the moderator of the Contest Forum
and he mentioned that mebbe next year there should be some new guy programs
as a part of his forum.

Anyone who enjoys contesting likes the idea of more contesters just by
definition, right? Last I knew the greater your QSO base the greater your
rates/scores.

What did either one of us do (or I said) wrong here?

Jim zx

k1zx@contesting.com
---------------------
From: hwardsil@wolfenet.com (Ward Silver) (Ward Silver)
Subject: CW/SSB Swap

I would certainly go for alternating the CW and SSB weekends on both WPX
and WW.  If I had to pick one, I'd choose WPX...CW WW has been pretty good
over the years and I have no real propagation-ly reason to move it.  The
Turkey Day timing is politically unpopular in the Silver household, but I
also understand that it's viewed with spousal favor in others, so...

One thing that hasn't been brought up is that alternating the weekends
would greatly accelerate the publishing schedule for the mode that occurs
back-to-back.  This could be a bit of a problem, especially for the WPX
group that doesn't have the resources of the WW committee.

73, Ward N0AX

From: palooka@pyrotechnics.com (Joe Pontek, K8JP) (Joe Pontek, K8JP)
Subject: TA-33Jr/TH3Jr DXpeditionizing Article

Back, a few years ago, there was an article about modifying the TA-33Jr and
TH3Jr antennas to fit in a PVC pipe that met airline luggage size and weight
requirements.  Anyone out there recall which magazine, month and year?  I
just acquired a TA-33Jr and need to prepare it for DXpedition/Contesting.

Any other hints on carry along antennas would be appreciated, particularily
packing, setting up, weight of, performance of additional antennas for the
160/80/40/WARC bands.

Thanks and
73, K8Joe"Palooka"

K8JP, K8JP/VA2, VP5/K8JP, VP5JP
palooka@pyrotechnics.com

snail mail:
Joe Pontek, K8JP
P. O. Box 59573
Schaumburg, IL 60159-0573
(847) 885-8871 (home)
(847) 519-7420 (work)
(847) 619-3250 (FAX)
U.S.A.

From: kl7y@alaska.net (Dan Robbins) (Dan Robbins)
Subject: WPX

At 05:35 PM 5/22/96 -0400, you wrote:
>k4sb@avana.net wrote:
>>
>> For your information, all the calls I mentioned are perfectly legal to
use during
>> 4-1-96 to 8-31-96. I'm not making up some phony prefix.
>>
>> -------------------------------------
>> Name: ed sleight
>> E-mail: k4sb@avana.net
>> Time: 15:18:22
>>
>> This message was sent by Chameleon
>> -------------------------------------
>
>Ed:
>
>You missed the point.  But, it is probably just as well that you did....

Personally, I like Ed's approach.  I hope I get 3 mults out of it.  What's
the use of having a PREFIX CONTEST if the use of special prefixes is not
encouraged.  The rules do encourage it....

                        Dan  KL7Y

From: k1vr@k1vr.jjm.com (Fred Hopengarten) (Fred Hopengarten)
Subject: Our Clique - SK?

On Wed, 22 May 1996 18:03:00 -0400, "Swanson, Glenn,  KB1GW"
<gswanson@arrl.org> wrote:

> "new
> guys" like me are scared away by (1) the arrogance and/or unsociability of
> many "big gun" contesters and (2) the financial investment that *seems* to
> be necessary to join the in-crowd.

To K1DG (Dayton) and K1TWF (Boxboro):

     Many years ago, and I think it was at Dayton, WA1KID
(so what's his new call, and is he not a teacher in the
Carolina's under a GM suffix?) delivered a talk which was
the equivalent of "The $1.98 Contest Station."

     Like the K5ZD talk "A Portable Top Ten Station" (which
I haven't yet seen), I would love to see the $1.98 Contest
Station talk given again at next year's Boxboro and next
year's Dayton, as a way to make newbies to contesting feel
more welcome.  I'll bet K1XM could come close, as he has
assembled a pretty effective method of DX'peditioning with
used, inexpensive gear.
--
                      Fred Hopengarten K1VR
           Six Willarch Road * Lincoln, MA 01773-5105

From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L. Martin) (Dale L. Martin)

> I mentioned in the original message that I did not intend to submit a log
> entry.
> As such, I can use as many different calls over the weekend as I want to.

Yes. You can.  But is it fair to other stations to use more than one
prefix during the contest period?  The rules state 'work stations
once per band'.  No matter how many prefixes you use, you are still
the same 'station' and as such simply changing your prefix puts the
folks who are in the contest at risk of losing points and
multipliers.

Is that fair to them?

You have an operating period far greater than the wpx weekend.  Why
not just pick one prefix for the weekend, then after the contest
period, have fun changing prefixes all over the place--it does sound
like fun.

73,

Dale Martin, KG5U
Houston, Texas
http://www.hal-pc.org/~kg5u

From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L. Martin) (Dale L. Martin)

Personally, I like Ed's approach.  I hope I get 3 mults out of it.  What's
the use of having a PREFIX CONTEST if the use of special prefixes is not
encouraged.  The rules do encourage it....

But, Dan, don't the rules say something like "work stations once per
band"?  If so, does changing prefixes constitute a change of station
or simply callsign?  I read it as changing callsign, but 'station'
remains the same.

This guy is no different than the bozo's that weave in and out of
traffic -- they spoil a good drive for everyone by their careless and,
to their strange way of thinking, carefree attitude.

I see him as a spoiler of a good time and not an opportunity.
His attitude is reflected in his first message: he doesn't care what
we think about his use of the bandwidth making his little
announcement.

Will working him and logging him and counting him result in DQ's or
reduced QSO points and mults?  I don't know... Maybe the contest
organizer will tell us.

73,

Dale Martin, KG5U
Houston, Texas
http://www.hal-pc.org/~kg5u

From: je1cka@dumpty.nal.go.jp (Takao KUMAGAI) (Takao KUMAGAI)
Subject: SEANET WW DX contest rule

I received a official notice from 9M2FK who has been the
contest manager of the SEANET World Wide DX contest which
will be held in the 3rd full weekend of July.
The complete rule will be available by Tack's info-server.

Send an email to -
info-contest@dumpty.nal.go.jp

with the following messages(=commands) in the body of the email.
#get seanetrule.eng
help
#get index

*:help for the instruction for using this server
  index is the archived contest related files' index

You can distribute this info any manner(WWW, club bulletins etc)
        ---------
        Tack Kumagai JE1CKA/KH0AM
        TEL:81-30-066-6408, FAX:81-423-93-4449
        Internet: je1cka@nal.go.jp

From: cookc@teleport.com (Craig Cook N7ENU) (Craig Cook N7ENU)

At 09:14 PM 5/22/96 -0400, you wrote:
>N7ENU de K1ZX
>
>Craig,

First of all, you asked a question, I answered via DIRECT e-mail. You
somehow felt it necessary to re-reply via the reflector. If I wanted to
start a big controversy with my opinions, I could do so. It's quite easy, as
I'm sure you know. I chose NOT to.

>I don't think you get it. Mebbe it is me who is confused.
>
>I know I started a contest club a couple of years ago with full intention of
>welcoming new guys over during multi-op efforts hoping they would get bitten.
>I advertise my willingness to do same by virtue of WX9E's list. Still no joy.

I know nothing of your efforts, quite obviously. I do NOT live near you. I
was speaking of my experiences in my area. If someone actually did that
here, and had "full intentions" as you say, I would have certainly taken
them up on it. As for starting a club, the only contest club started in this
area in my time as a ham was only meant to be temporary, to boost interest
in the sprints for a short time, apparently. Anything to help a score.

>As to the discussion with K1DG. K1DG is the moderator of the Contest Forum
>and he mentioned that mebbe next year there should be some new guy programs
>as a part of his forum.
>
>Anyone who enjoys contesting likes the idea of more contesters just by
>definition, right? Last I knew the greater your QSO base the greater your
>rates/scores.

I NEVER said that big shot contesters did not want newcomers on the air. You
asked what it must be like to be unknown and trying to mingle with the
exalted few. I said they were not willing to make new friends among the also
rans, but that they were mostly polite, at least, when faced with that
scenario. But more than that? Good luck.

>What did either one of us do (or I said) wrong here?

Nothing, so far as I know. I simply thought that input from people who are
currently in the situation like myself and many others might be a better
idea, that's all. I can assume you are a pair of fine gentleman, although we
have never met and will not in the future. Your discussion might be compared
to two corporate C.E.O. types wondering what it was like to work on the
assembly line for minimum wage. They will never know and it would not matter
if they found out.

>Jim zx
>
>k1zx@contesting.com
>---------------------

I am not as pissed as I sound. Sometimes my thoughts and words are much
clearer than my written prose. I enjoy contesting on my own criteria,
pointed out in an earlier e-mail. I did not want to start a big fiasco on
the reflector, which is what happens when you post opinions contrary to that
of the majority. You felt you were being personally attacked, I guess, and
must have forwarded my message to the reflector with that in mind. You were
not, so let's PLEASE drop it now. Sorry I didn't tell you what you wanted to
hear, but my opinions are pretty well set in stone by now. I'm sure the
"newcomer forums" will be a big hit. Good luck with them.

                                        Craig Cook - N7ENU  Sandy, Or.
                                        cookc@teleport.com

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"
                                -Elvis Costello

From: garydein@kuentos.guam.net (Gary Glen Dein) (Gary Glen Dein)
Subject: CW WPX ENTRY

NH2G will be Single Operator All Band entry in CW WPX '96
73 de Gary G. Dein/NH2G garydein@Kuentos.Guam.NET