CQ-Contest

On removing CW- from a phone contesters view ($->

Subject: On removing CW- from a phone contesters view ($->
From: N3ADL@aol.com (N3ADL@aol.com)
Date: Fri May 24 18:58:20 1996
I thought I remembered the IARU requirements were for a basic understanding
of the code...Hasn't 13 wpm been established in Europe as the "magic number"?
I believe some CW competancy should be required but I find it hard to swallow
limiting your phone frequencys available due to an OP's inability or dislike
for the code. If CW is your favorite mode, then so be it...I won't hold that
against you...but look at the scores ... The phone guys put some mighty big
numbers up...Perhaps a look at the license structure is in order
internationally....with just three license classes.

 Novice---- 28mhz es up...no code (stimulates HF interest)
 General----- 18mhz and up ... 5WPM code AND / OR 180 Q per hour fone
 EXPERT---- All Amateur Bands...13 WPM AND / OR 300 Q per hour fone

             Theory Tests toughened for both modes in all classes

The phone guys get NO CW privledges. The CW guys get no Phone privledges.
(Until passing the corresponding test in that class)
We use the European band plans and all play on a level field
VE's could use PED to test in both modes and we get a qualified op in either
mode to make more points for the local club.!

Shields are UP..Phasers on stun..
The Beer is COLD...... Flame away....(to me..not the assembled masses)

Have a safe Holiday... Wear your seatbelt..Arrive Alive!

                            73 de Doug // N3ADL
*BIG AMPS WITH THREE TUBES ARE Better than small amps with 1 tube*

From: donovanf@sgate.com (Frank Donovan) (Frank Donovan)
Subject: W3LPL Open House: 15 June

Hi Glenn!

Hope some of the YCCC gang can come on down.  Its very easy to find!

Take the Jersey Turnpike south to the Delaware Memorial Bridge, and
continue on the Delaware Turnpike to I-95 South.

Follow I-95 into Maryland, as you approach Baltimore take I-695 (the
Baltimore Beltway) West towards Towson.

After about 20 miles, take I-70 West towards Frederick, and after about 15
miles take Exit 80, Rt 32 south.

At the bottom of the ramp, turn left onto Rt 32 South towards Clarksville.
1.2 mile ahead, turn right at the first traffic signal, Rt 144 West.

After about three miles, turn left at McKendree Rd (top of a hill, church
on left).

Follow McKendree Rd for one mile and take the first left, Hobbs Rd.  I am
one mile ahead on Hobbs Rd  (its V E R Y obvious!).

Hope u can join us!  The local BBQ restaurant (excellent!) will be here
and WY3P's ice cream truck will visit too.

We have a  G O O D  time at the W3LPL Open House!

73
Frank
W3LPL

From: donovanf@sgate.com (Frank Donovan) (Frank Donovan)

Hey, thats great Paul!
Looks like some of the YCCC gang will be coming down too.  Of course, the
Baltimore-Washington area offers a huge variety of diversions to occupy
your time!  If I were visiting this area, I'd probably elect to stay in
one of the hotels in downtown Baltimore.  Baltimore has a good night life
and a fascinating waterfront.  Another alternative is an excellent hotel
on a golf course about 10 miles from here (in this area, 10 miles is
practically next door...)
What is your preference, and how long will u be in the area?
73
Frank
W3LPL

From: k0wa@southwind.net (Lee Buller) (Lee Buller)
Subject: re cw/rigs/dollars

>>What gives, is that foot traffic is a drag on sales..... A multi thousand
>dollar sale on the
>>phone usually takes less than ten minutes and leaves the clerk free for six,
>>or more, additional sales in that hour... Foot traffic will take more than
>an
>>hour for one multi thousand dollar sale, and OFTEN does not consumate the
>>purchase in the end... Those businesses who will survive in ham radio (and
>>many others) will put more of their salary dollars into phone / internet
>>sales, and less into store front sales... The evolution of society
>>continues... Love it - or - Leave it... You have no other choice...
>>
>Hi, Denny --
>
>      Yes, many times a "real" customer is left standing whilst the
>salesperson answers the phone.  Yes, being able to visit a radio store, ask
>questions and spin a couple of knobs is highly desireable.  Unfortunately
>many of those "tire kickers" leave and call the 800 numbers to get the "best
>price".  So much for customer loyalty.
>
>      In addition, the current crop of no-coders has a limited knowledge of
>things electronic and radio-related.  The aforementioned retailer now has to
>spend hours babysitting this new ham/customer through programming their HT,
>explaining what the difference between 2M antennas is, etc. or related topics
>that the new ham/customer neglected to find out by reading (or learning) the
>manual or literature.
>
>    BTW, Ham Radio Outlet does the majority of their business with walk-in
>customers, their local marketplace.
>
>73,  Steve  K7LXC

Guys...  Maybe these companies should also understand that most people
cannot afford $2000 to $4000 for a rig.  The cost of equipment is getting
out of site that affordability is an issue.  Sure, we demand a lot, but
maybe not everyone needs all the bells and whistles.  Do you use everything
on a radio?  We use to contest with a lot less radio.  Maybe there is a
market for a "simplistic" radio that is less than $1000 bucks....or even
under $750.  How about kits?  Could be done pretty easy.

lee
k0wa@southwind.net

From: hmantila@kauha.kauhajoki.fi (Harri M. Mantila OH6YF-OH0MYF) (Harri M.
Mantila OH6YF-OH0MYF)
Subject: OH1EH/OH0 on 160m in WPX

Hello!

Ari wanted me to pass an info that he is operating CQ WPX CW on 160 meter
single band category. He is specially trying to work many State side
stations at 0124 UTC which is his sunrise time.

73's de Harry OH6YF-OH0MYF
hmantila@kauhajoki.fi

From: rlboyd@CapAccess.org (Rich L. Boyd) (Rich L. Boyd)
Subject: Rohn pointy tops

Sorry, hadn't read my email since 4/17!  1,250 messages there, not
counting the ones my server bounced.

I know what Rohn pointy tops can be used for:  receiving loop on the peak
of your roof with a TV rotator.  Also, it should be quite sufficient for
moderate tribanders; flat top with thrust bearing is more elegant but not
necessary.

Rich Boyd KE3Q

From: rlboyd@CapAccess.org (Rich L. Boyd) (Rich L. Boyd)
Subject: first stations and bloopers

First station at WN3DSD.

Christmas, 1964, Hallicrafters S-120 general coverage rx ($69.95 brand new!)
February, 1965 (birthday) Johnson Viking Adventurer kit, $55 brand new,
George Washington Birthday sale, from "Uncle George's Radio Ham Shack,"
Wheaton, Maryland.
Christmas, 1965, Hallicrafters SX-101A
Later upgrades, Viking Challenger, Apache with SB-10 sideband adapter
(never COULD get it to work).

Main crystals (two):  3733 and 3720.

A new ham was on the local repeater a couple years ago (the repeater that
PVRCers hang out on, 147.0) and was talking about the small tower and
tribander he hoped to put up.  The guy he was talking to said that
sounded like a good plan.

Then the new guy put his foot in his mouth.  He said "Yeah, it should be
good enough, unless you're W3LPL or something."

The old timer said "I...*AM*...W3LPL."

73

Rich Boyd KE3Q

From: zs6brh@global.co.za (Keith Radue) (Keith Radue)
Subject: Engineering Analysis Program (Tower Design???)

I have just found an interesting program that may help in checking your
antenna tower calculations.  Load it from the following:-

  http://www.engr.usask.ca/~macphed/finite/fe_resources/node56.html

It is a large zip file and called GRAPE2 (Graphic Realtime Analysis
Programs for Engineering)..    Start with the model called "TOWERS",
still very early days in my evaluating th program, but please give me
feedback directly and if needed I will summarize and post to this net.

73, Keith Radue (ZS6BRH)