CQ-Contest

WRTC and the Olympics

Subject: WRTC and the Olympics
From: N3ADL@aol.com (N3ADL@aol.com)
Date: Sun Jul 21 15:29:57 1996
Might be worth the price of admission if you allowed the auduience to hear
the pileups for all 52 stations at once and then video close ups of these
great ops ,  working,copying, and logging. Something P.T. Barnum once said
that strikes me at the moment...something about a SUCKER born every minute...
 :-)
                     73 de Doug // N3ADL

Besides if they pay to watch todays version of Major League baseball they'll
pay for anything

CQ CONTEST  CQ CONTEST  CQ CONTEST  CQ CONTEST  CQ CONTEST   K

From: k7ss@wolfenet.com (Danny Eskenazi) (Danny Eskenazi)

you must live around a mean spirited group of folks....no derision or
laughing here....everyone I mentioned it to was in awe: 1) that such an
event exists and 2) that someone they know was involved in it.
sounds like time for new real friends.   ;-)

K3ZO mentioned hearing on ABC TV that chess IS an event in the
Olympics.....hmmmm
that creates great hope for us.

Nor interested in a cerebral Olympics ala SPecial Olympics..... way too
outside.  Take a look again at the WRTC90 video if you want to see how 18
hours of contesting can become interesting and exciting video...just gotta
have the right music and editing!

As for NERD POWER, you merely had to look around at WRTC96 to forget THAT
notion.
Time for a little more self-esteem for the hobby.

73
Danny K7SSAt 10:58 AM 7/21/96 -0400, you wrote:
>Yes I can see that being a problem but it raises an issue here:
>If there is a major international program to provide for competition between
>handicapped individuals (which is a good thing) that we call "The Special
>Olympics"  Is it not too also possible to have competiton for the
>intellectual crowd?
>
>Lets put them all in Ham Radio HF contesting, Chess, Bridge, Math Tests you
>name it?  I know it won't make for really great TV but still (God could you
>imagine the publics reaction to watching a WRTC team pound brass for 18
hours?)

>This thought brought out also by the ridicule that I was met with when I
>tried to explain to some "friends" that I had participated in the "radio
>olympics"  I won't repeat the rude comments made here.  Alas just another
>case of smart people getting picked on I guess.   We really do need this you
>know!
>
>NERD POWER!!!!!
>
>de AA3JU
>
>At 09:44 PM 7/20/96 -0400, you wrote:
>>Barry, yes, we thought of that.  Amateur radio is not a "physical" event.
>>ie, just like chess or bridge, amateur radio operating will not qualify as
>>an Olympic event!
>>
>>Bill, N3RR
>>
>>At 03:19 PM 7/20/96 GMT, you wrote:
>>>Since the WRTC has evolved into such a world class event, has anyone
>>>considered petitioning the Olympic Committee about adding it to future
>>>Olympics? Obviously, it won't get TV coverage like the puberty-deprived
>>>gymnasts, but neither do many other Olympic events...
>>>73 Barry
>*George Cook.....AA3JU.....AKA "The Ratman" *
>*george@epix.net.....AA3JU@W3PYF            *
>*http://www.epix.net/~george                *
>*                                           *
>*Proudly Frankford Radio Club.........      *
>*.......Proficiency Through Competiton.     *
>*"Not just words but a way of life"         *

---------------------------
Danny Eskenazi
k7ss@wolfenet.com

From: hwardsil@wolfenet.com (Ward Silver) (Ward Silver)

While the post-contest beer bash was in full swing around the Motel 6
pool, a lovely young lady asked me what was going on.  I explained it as
that we had just completed the ham radio equivalent of the World Cup and
this was the aftermath.  She seemed interested and didn't laugh, but still
turned around and went the other way ;-)

73, Ward N0AX