CQ-Contest

Caribbean FARES UPDATE (delete this if not DXpeditioning)

Subject: Caribbean FARES UPDATE (delete this if not DXpeditioning)
From: N3ADL@aol.com (N3ADL@aol.com)
Date: Thu Jul 25 14:46:17 1996
Greetings fellow disciples of DXpeditions!

Just booked my tickets to V2 for October. The discount fare will remain in
effect until Monday, however, most travel offices CLOSED on weekends. So it
would be prudent to book by Friday if you want to take advantage of the
discount. Fare from Philly was 414.00 with all the taxes and will rise to 550
PLUS taxes opening Monday.

                                               Fraternally,

                                                Doug // V26DX // FRC
                                                 15m OP V26B

From: neader@centuryinter.net (Scott Neader) (Scott Neader)
Subject: Caribbean DXpeditionists-> NOW is the time to book!

At 6:06 AM 7/25/96, N3ADL@aol.com wrote:
>The Air Fares to the Caribbean dropped 25 percent yesterday. There is usually
>a week long window of opportunity every year about this time where the fares
>drop.... though one can not count on a full week as last year the window
>lasted TWO DAYS.

I have it on good authority that nobody has booked Windwood (WP2AHW) for
ARRL SSB Sweepstakes.  From one who has operated SS from the Caribbean,
this would be very competitive site to operate from low power.  And with
the discount airfares announced, SOMEBODY has to jump on this!!  Pictures &
details of the Windwood rental site can be found at:
http://QTH.com/windwood.  Otherwise contact KE2VB at
readerl@goliath.sunyocc.edu.

And PHOOEY on those of you who say operating from the Caribbean doesn't
count!  My plaque looks just the same as yours!  :-)

73 - Scott KA9FOX

INTERNET SOLUTIONS - Affordable web page design and storage
Scott Neader (608)788-1234 / FAX (608)787-0100 / neader@centuryinter.net
Internet Solutions web: http://www.QTH.com/is   Ham web: http://www.QTH.com

From: DKMC@chevron.com (McCarty, DK 'Dav) (McCarty, DK 'Dav)
Subject: How Much does a DB Cost?

From: McCarty, DK 'David'
To:  OPEN ADDRESSING SERVI-OPENADDR
Subject:  Re: How Much does a DB Cost?

Actually, those truly in-the-know hold forth that the effectiveness of a
given antenna is proportional to the difference between the erection
temperature and room temperature (68F)  This explains, of course, why the
Northern climes do so much better, since the temperature deviates further on
the cold side than it does on the high side down south!  It also explains
the successful strategy of N5RZ moving to Midland, Texas, to win SS.  The
summer projects are "baked" at over 110F in the shade -- and there isn't
much shade out in West Texas -- while the winter fixer-uppers often take
advantage of the blue Norther effect!

K5GN