CQ-Contest

VANITY CANCELLED CHECKS

Subject: VANITY CANCELLED CHECKS
From: WN9JAT@aol.com (WN9JAT@aol.com)
Date: Sun Oct 20 18:06:00 1996
Hi Bob,
I have no idea what the number on your check means, but
how ca you not have a random function on a computer
since it would be a software programming function ?
All you would need to do is program a "psuedo" random
generator function for the number of elements (calls)
entered. Anyway good luck on your first choice.

73/Jerry/WN9JAT  Someone who really needs a 1x2

From: aa8u@voyager.net (AA8U) (AA8U)
Subject: Optimum 75M Split Frequencies

Hello Fellow Contesters,

Over the years I have worked on improving my station performance on the low
bands with some success.

Several recent contest experiences have revealed the need to improve my
operating skills on the low bands. My station hardware seems to be in fine
shape for my budget, its how I use it that seems to need the most improvement.

I have found that at times, I can work the Europeans by calling CQ on 75M
simplex somewhere between 3750 and 3800. For me, working two or three in a
row is a major RUN!

In past efforts, finding the right place to call CQ has been pretty much
left to luck. Well, I am told that in Europe there are frequencies that are
clobbered by local broadcast and other permanent QRM. The problem is, I
don't know what frequencies on 75M to avoid or to use. Often I find the QRM
from other stateside contesters when working simplex is intolerable and
split operation is necessary just to hear anything.

What are some proven split pairs that work well for USA-Europe QSOs? How
about good split frequencies to use between USA and other areas of the
contest world?

If you are in Europe, what frequencies are clear and allow you to hear the
weaker USA stations? Where should I TX and Where should I listen when
working split on 75M? I am not very familiar with the allocations for
European contesters. I know there is a lot I need to learn.

If you have some advice for me regarding split frequency operating on 75M
during CQWW SSB, please reply by direct email.

Thank you in advance for your advice and assistance. Look for me on the low
bands this coming weekend.

73 to all,
Bruce
aa8u@voyager.net

From: 0006509309@mcimail.com (Wayne Mills) (Wayne Mills)
Subject: Fwd: P40V

Contesters!

Reference my message about P40V, I didn't mean to say that Carl's station is
available only for the purpose of making a world class effort, only that
such an effort would be possible!  (Going to the beach is fun too...)

Wayne
-----------------
From: k9vv@indy.net (Fred Kleber K9VV) (Fred Kleber K9VV)
Subject: CQ Sint Maarten

Anyone happen to know where / when the local Sint Maarten radio club
meets?  I'll be on the south half of the island from 11/25 - 12/2 and
would be interested in meeting locals.  Als het mogelijk es, ik kan
hollands, spans, een beetje aleman, en natuurlijk engels.

Best 73,
Fred, K9VV

Currently slated to be QRV as FS5PL in CQ WW CW CONTEST

From: km9p@contesting.com (Bill Fisher, KM9P) (Bill Fisher, KM9P)
Subject: Rate Sheets from CQWW SSB Wanted

If you are a high scorer in your geographic area please drop me your rate
sheet as an attachment to an email.  I'll post them on www.contesting.com.

73

Bill, KM9P
| Contesting Online... The ultimate           |
| source of ham radio contest information     |
| http://www.contesting.com                   |

From: prosper@airmail.net (Brent Childers) (Brent Childers)
Subject: Serial Ports/IRQ's

Ok Gang,

Times a gettin short, and as with any contest season, I must perform my
Murphy computer ritual.  This years ritual has to do with adding an
additional two port serial card, in addition to the current com1/com2 ports.
I am able to install the card no problem. Jumper the card settings to com3
and com4. But that's when things come to a halt.  When I try using either
com3 or com4 for packet, the radio interface or linking to the other PC's,
NADA!  I've set the IRQ's to various ones, I think I should be able to use
IRQ's 10 and 11 with no problem, but this is not the case.

If anyone can shed some light on this subject, I would appreciate it.

Thanks - ki5jc

P.S. I've used some diagnostic software to look at the IRQ's and com ports
that are recognized.  It sees all the comports (com 1-4), but it shows the
IRQ's doubling up on one interupt.

From: AD1C@tiac.net (Jim Reisert AD1C) (Jim Reisert AD1C)
Subject: MASTER.DTA database updated 10/21/96 0134 GMT

I uploaded a new MASTER.DTA database around 9:34 p.m. EDT on Sunday
10/20/96.  I'd like to thank *everyone* who sent me logs, either via
E-mail/FTP or in the mail.

The file sizes are:

        MASTER.ZIP      186,537 bytes
        MASTER.DTA      386,416 bytes

The new database has 13997 calls - 9611 DX and 4386 USA.  A call had to
appear 20 times to be included in this database (same criteria as last
time).

You can get the file several ways:

FTP:    ftp://boss.databook.com/AD1C/master.zip [east coast USA]
        ftp://ftp.jzap.com/pub/ct-files/master.zip              [west coast USA]

E-mail: send message to ct-user-REQUEST@databook.com

        In the body of the message put the command:

                GET master.uue
                GET uud.com

        uud.com is a program to UUdecode a file, if you don't already have
        one.

        Please note that this address is *temporary* until VE7TCP server
        is fixed.

        Also note that there is *no* CT-USER reflector at this address,
        just a file server.

This will probably be the last update before CQWW Phone.  Please contact
me with any questions or problems.

73 - Jim AD1C

p.s. It's possible that VE7TCP server *might* come back up this week.
This would mean that the DX list would be back on-line, as well as the CT
and NA reflectors (and web pages).  When you see mail, you'll know.

--
Jim Reisert <AD1C@tiac.net>                    http://www.tiac.net/users/ad1c/

From: ka8okh@som-uky.campus.mci.net (Rich Dailey, KA8OKH) (Rich Dailey, KA8OKH)
Subject: Counting Mobiles

How does one go about "tricking" your software into counting a callsign more
than once (i.e. mobiles operating from different counties in the state qso
parties)?

Here's how I did it in the ILQP:

W9XX/M     from county a
W9XX/MM   from county b
W9XX/MMM  from county c

...and so on.
Will this work?  Would like to hear your comments. Tnx!

Rich Dailey - KA8OKH <ka8okh@som-uky.campus.mci.net>
Somerset Electronics Co. - Somerset, KY
Expert repair on all major brands of CATV line/headend, & TVRO equipment.
Opinions expressed here are of my own unique design.