CQ-Contest

Will gets new call first

Subject: Will gets new call first
From: BK1ZX70SFL@aol.com (BK1ZX70SFL@aol.com)
Date: Mon Oct 21 21:22:59 1996
contrary to the rumour that he would keep his call it appears AA4NC will be
the first one with a new 1X2 from Gate 2 - see attached
---------------------
From: aa8u@voyager.net (AA8U) (AA8U)
Subject: 75M Split Frequency, Summary

The first time I sent this it looked as if it bounced. Hope this isn't a dupe.
The names have been removed to protect the innocent!
Enjoy...

My experience has been that CQing above 3800, 3800-3815 best
and listening 100 KHz lower works best. There's no way to fight the
M/Ms who camp out at 3800, 3798, etc.
---------
pse summarize your replies and post. If I'm telling you my
secrets, I want to hear others', hi.
---------
You've asked the question I have often pondered, but never pursued. I'd be
very interested in your findings.
---------
call CQ between 3800 and 3815 and listen in a clear
spot between 3640 and 3750.
---------
you are of course asking guys to give up some of their inner-most
contest secrets, and darn few guys will want to do that.
---------
sure would like to see what you got in replies. I will be at ****
for CQWW and we always wonder the same thing. With a 3 element beam at 180'
we can get our signal to Europe, just never quite sure what freq to put it
on.
---------
JA's can only transmit in a 5 or 10 kc range somewhere between 3795 and 3805.
---------
I usually stay at 3803 or 3807 all weekend, your best bet is to listen to EU
and see where they are listening.  EU stations listen to me then starts
calling cq on my receive frequency which is a real pain in the ass.  So get
even with them if your loud they will listen elsewhere.
---------
VK*** is a sure bet on 3797 around sunset
---------
VK's can only tx below 3700 or between 3795 and 3800.  Some russians like to
hang around 3640.
---------
CQ between 3800 and 3815 and listen in a clear spot between 3640 and 3750.
---------
you may want to listen between 3795 and 3800 for long path VK and JA at sunset.
---------
Europeans can't work over 3.800...3795-3800 is normaly used by BIG that
caling CQ and work as mirror for all other Europen..I suggest you'll call
around 3810 and listen around 3780.
---------
It would be bad manners to keep any good information you receive on this
to yourself!!
---------
most EU's listen at 3800-3850 for US stations...but this area causes
sometimes confusion because sometimes EU's use the same frequencies. For example
two stations in EU are calling CQ and listening on the same freq. I am
listening up to 3900 for you guys calling CQ. EU's can transmit in SSB from
3600-3800. I think some parts of the ex-USSR are limited to 3600-3650, so if
you want to work an UA9 try that part of the band.
---------
I'd love a summary of what you get, Bruce!
(I'm not up to speed on 80M split freqs, either.)
---------
If it is possible could you summarize or forward the replys that you get on
your 75 meter frequency question?
---------
All I've heard is not to use 3650-3700 because it is the "CONTEST FREE ZONE".
---------
Yeah....direct....So no one ELSE knows the "good" freqs to transmit on...
('cept us in-the-know big time 75M op's - see ya'll from **** next weekend !)
---------
Best tx frequencies for USA are always above 3800 - perhaps 3825.
Below 3800 frequencies are full of Eu big guns and the window 3790-3800 is
the worst. USA stations are REALLY weak here in north (c.a. 65 N), while
European alligators come +25 db. I'm afraid that 75 meters is becoming much
like 40 meters - there is no space for dx-signals. Outside of contest
weekends, I'm able to work as much dx as I want to on 80 and 40  - during
cqww there are some european stations which can not copy me on 40, even I'm
running al-1200 and 2-ele yagi - this tells something about qrm-levels here
in Eu. I have noticed that on 40 there are some frequencies above 7150 which
are permanently free from BC-qrm, while some are reserved 24 hours. There is
no BC-qrm on 75 meters in our area. If I will remember - I could log down
some observations on BC-qrm on 40 during next weekend.
Guess that you will get opposite advices as well HI - these ones
were from latitudes near of polar circle.
----------
try transmitting above 3800 and listening below 3750.  we have had
excellent luck between 3800 and 3820 for tx and listening as low as
3650 or so.
----------
vk's have a very small tx window between 3790 and 3800, they like to work
split also.
----------
I have had some success calling around 3825 +/- and listening 3700 =/-
There are Russians to be worked around 3650 also.

Thats all for now.
As you might have guessed, many of our fellow contesters are interested in
this subject.

I wish I had included 40M splits in my first question!

I think there might be some new information here for some. No "big time
secrets" in this post unless you are a first time contester on 75M.

Hope you found it worthy of your time. Whatever, have fun this coming weekend!

73,
Bruce
aa8u@voyager.net

From: kk5ep@netdoor.com (Michael Causey) (Michael Causey)
Subject: interface with tr and FT-1000MP

Hi folks,

I just received tr-log contesting program and need to connect my FT-1000MP
to my computer.  Never having operated my rig via computer before, I need
some help.  Keep it simple, please, I'm a REAL novice at this.  I have
operated my tr-log program in the simulator phase for a day now, I'm truly
amazed and quite happy with what the tr-log program can do!  I think I will
definitely be able to use it this weekend, if I can get all of the cables
hooked up correctly.  My Ft-1000MP has a "CAT" port on the back of it.
Thank you gentlemen. 73, Mike  KK5EP.