CQ-Contest

CQWW & 7 MHz - A Suggestion

Subject: CQWW & 7 MHz - A Suggestion
From: GW4BLE@aol.com (GW4BLE@aol.com)
Date: Mon Oct 28 12:35:22 1996
To: CQ WW Committee  (copied to Contest Reflector)

The usual flow of views on what's right and wrong with respect to
7 MHz SSB operation is likely to be generated once again.

I don't want to sound hypocritical, but anyone saying it's "OK, because my
licence doesn't prohibit SSB below 7040" is likely to alienate others and
aggravate the situation. Working mults below 7040 is somewhat of a grey
area, we do it because we need that new one but to actually solicit contacts
should, I believe,  be outlawed from within Europe.

To clear up the present situation I would like to make the following
proposal:

FOR STATIONS IN EUROPE -

You must *not* solicit contacts, i.e. call CQ,  on SSB below 7040 KHz.
Working a multiplier is permitted if the station contacted was actually
soliciting contacts, i.e. he was calling CQ. After completing the contact
you must QSY.

That's the bare-bones of it, there may be some refinements required along
the way,  but I believe the problem is European based and we should be
taking the initiative NOW to clear up what has become a worsening situation.

Comments please?

Steve GW4BLE

From: crepeau@tech.iupui.edu (Raymond Crepeau) (Raymond Crepeau)
Subject: Little fish.....

I agree with Jerry.  It seems to me that it would take "less" time to call
"CQ DX" or "CQ EUROPE" than to listen to my call and then advise me that
you are looking only for DX or EUROPE.  I worked the contest for a limited
time period and MOBILE.  It was very disappointing to respond to a CQ and
hear " ... loking for DX only ..."

Ray Crepeau, WB1HGO/M9

From: syam@Glue.umd.edu (De Syam) (De Syam)
Subject: CQWW SSB 1996: K3ZO report and comments.

This time, in keeping with the spirit of things, I will report my
detailed score to the Scores Reflector.  Suffice it to say for the
purposes of this discussion that I ended up with around 2000 QSO's
and about 3 million points, just a bit better than last year's,
which was good for tenth place USA Single-Operator All Band.
QSO's were down, mults were up.

As the contest opened the bands were recovering from a mid-week
bout with a coronal hole mass ejection which had forced the K index
up to 5 at its peak and allowed some stations in the northern USA
and in Canada to make aurora QSO's on 6 and 2 meters.   The
prinicipal lingering effects as the contest began were the
widespread presence of sporadic E "short-skip" -- VP9ID reported
having a major pile-up on 10 meters around 0100 GMT the first night
-- and some enhancement of north-south paths on 160, 80 and 40.

Also, when the ionosphere is roiled by geomagnetic disturbances at
such a low point in the sunspot cycle, the effects on 10 and 15
meters can actually be beneficial, causing the MUF to rise above
what would normally be expected for solar flux values in the 68 to
70 range.

I was operating without the selsyn in the prop-pitch which rotates
my 20 and 80 meter Yagis, so I rotated the antenna by counting
seconds off on my watch and by frequent glances out the back door
to make sure the antennas were pointed in the desired direction.
Fortunately it was cloudy the whole weekend so the reflected light
from metropolitan Washington, D. C., provided the needed backdrop
for night viewing of the antenna system.

I began the contest as planned on 20 meters beaming north, hoping
to begin with a JA run for a half-hour or so before turning the
beam south and picking off the Caribbean and South American
stations.  But the JA's were weak and watery and I only worked a
couple of them at this time.  On the other hand, the VE3's were
enormous and I'm sure that they got off to a good start running
scads of W's on 20.  Conditions to the Caribbean and South America
were normal and I picked off all I could hear before going to 40
meters at 0045.

On hitting 40 meters the effect of the sporadic E could be seen
immediately in the form of absorption which cut the signal levels
on the path to Europe considerably.  Also the effects of the week's
disturbance on northerly latitudes were apparent as only Southern
Europeans and a couple of HA's and OE's were heard.  The band was
dominated by I's and EA's.  Even with the beam on Europe, however,
the Caribbean and South American stations could be heard well so
the low band North-South enhancement typical of disturbed
conditions was present.  The Africans were also doing well.

At 0145 GMT I went to 80 but it was immediately apparent that
running Europe at this hour was not in the cards so at 0200 I went
to 160.

The North-South enhancement on 160 has an interesting effect on my
two half-slopers off my 140 foot tower.  The Caribbean and South
American stations are louder than most of the stations calling them
and I can't even hear some of the W's they are working.  Makes it
nice because I can hear who they are coming back to, although I
still think 4M5X had the best idea, working split.  Though
IG9/IV3TAN had a great signal, I heard no other signals from Europe
or Africa during my brief forays onto this band during the weekend.
KH6CC was coming in better than usual, however.  The best thing
that happened to me on 160 was that XR8S called me after I finished
a QSO with HC0E.

The low bands were so bad that at 0220 I went back to 20 meters.
The short-skip Canadians and the South Americans were still booming
in, and at 0300 I put the beam on the Pacific and was able to run
a few VK's and ZL's, though I gave up quickly because I was being
called by so many short-skip zero-point W's.  Wrong weekend!  We
should have these conditions for SS!

80 and 40 were still in the doldrums and I found myself
concentraing on 160 where the stations to the South were relatively
numerous and easy to work.  My 160 multiplier was up considerably
over last year.

Finally at 0530 GMT there was a European sunrise opening of sorts
on 80, and I began to run Europeans.  KC1XX, KM3T & Co. were here
recently to work on my antennas and the 80 meter beam was the main
beneficiary.  Apparently I had what amounted to a rotary dipole on
80 the past three years after an ice storm severely damaged the
couple of problems to be straightened out, it is nice to have gain
again and especially to be able to listen directly on the beam for
replies.  Matt & Co. removed a lot of corrosion which had had the
effect of making what sounded like "relay bounce" on receive,
trashing received signals and requiring me to use my 80 meter half
sloper most of the time on receive.  Now I was able to use the beam
itself, with all its gain, on receive.  Using split while
transmitting above 3800, I tried to find receive frequencies as
close to 3750 as possible in order to take advantage of the maximum
gain of the beam.  Naturally after KC1XX helped me I am careful to
make sure that I am not on "his" frequency while running Europe on
80 HI.   I was intrigued by AA8U's posting on the reflector about
80 meter operations but did not reply.  When I was in Germany last
year I spent a fair amount of time noting what frequencies between
3800 and 3850 are clear over there during the North American
opening, and although Matt and I discussed this subject when he was
here, I decided not to share my findings with the general public.
Of course you can always listen to see where we are operating and
that will provide a pretty good indication.

The European opening continued up until 0610 GMT when it petered
out.  Notably absent were any Scandinavians and Northern Russians.

Back to 40 where there was a good short-path opening to Japan and
RA0FA between 0715 and 0730, but K1RU was beating me in all the
pile-ups in this direction so he must have something on 40 which is
really working!  Back to 80, where I continued with South Americans
until taking off an hour for sleep between 0830 (only 307 QSO's in
the log so far) and 0930 GMT.  Back on 80 at 0930, of note was the
fact that JF1IST was working split and doing a good job of picking
up W's on 3815.  Glad he listened to my suggestions when we met at
Tokyo's Ham Fair this summer!  By the way, JF1IST makes a living
putting up towers and antennas, so working on his 80 meter beam
comes naturally.

At 1100 20 was open well to Europe and I settled there until 1300
but was not real happy with the run rate.  At 1300 I decided to go
to 15 since I had noticed during the week before that 15 was
opening to Europe fairly early.  Sure enough, at 1330, after
working South Americans for half an hour, I hooked up with SN2B, my
first European on the band.  There followed a good European opening
until 1630 although I was not pleased with the run rate on my 4-el
quad at 78 feet.  Hopefully the 8-el Telrex 15-meter beam I have
acquired, which is already assmbled, will be up and rotating at
about the 160 foot level before too much longer.

Back to 20 at 1630 to run Europeans at a fair rate until 1830, at
which time I went to 10 and found the band in good shape to South
America.  Thanks to all those LU's for keeping us in business on
the high bands in these lean sunspot years!

After a foray on 15 where I chanced to find both PJ8CW and VR6MW
asking whether the frequency was in use before starting their first
CQ's (there are psychic awards for doing a lot of tuning around as
a single-op unassisted, as opposed to becoming a packet slave), I
went to 20 at 2010 and scoured the band for Africans.  The 6-el 20
meter Telrex at 150 feet is a killer antenna on this path and I was
rewarded with D25 7P8 ZS 5Z4 3DA0 FR5 IG9 Z2 V5 TL 9J 5H 5N and 3C
multipliers between 2011 and 2035.  Yes of course I found them all
on my own!  The CQWW makes it easy -- just listen for the zone
numbers being given out.  Also there is a sort of rolling QSB which
makes the African signal characteristics different from the closer-
in signals to the trained ear.

On the other hand try as I might I couldn't get through with the
big Telrex to JW5VK for that double mult.  Had to give up and come
back 30 minutes later when he was 10 db stronger and an easy pick.
Sometimes all the hardware in the world can't overcome skip.

At 2100 I put the 20-meter Telrex north and began a JA run with
plenty of VE's and KL7's (and no-point W's!) -- plus a few CX's and
LU's off the back of the beam -- thrown in.  The cloudy, windless
and humid weekend made the line noise I normally have in this
direction disappear and it was a pleasure to be able to hear even
the weakest JA's, though QRN from thunderstorms in the Midwest was
a bit of a bother in the early part of the opening.  Though I was
rewarded with 80 JA's, 5 UA0's, a DU, a VK6 and an HL between 2100
and 2300, the path closed before the sun reached Thailand, so I was
not able to work my friends at HS1AZ on this opening as I had hoped
to do.

At 2300 I was back on 40 and conditions to Europe were much
improved over the first night.  The 3-el Telrex at 94 feet was
playing OK and I was able to get a reasonable run going with OX3SA
and 9K2/YO9HP being pleasant surprise callers.  At 0030 with things
pretty slow I took my first of two naps for the night from 0030 to
0230.

Back in the shack at 0230 I found 80 meters wide open to Europe and
began a reasonable run at that time with the 3-el KLM at 140 feet
sounding more like it should than it did the first night.  9K2MU
and JY9QJ were the most notable of the callers.  While I was trying
to dig JY9QJ out of the mud a European unwittingly helped me by
trying to call the JY on his own frequency, giving the JY's call!
Still no Scandinavians worked, though!

Things slowed again around 0600 and I went back to bed with 1285
QSO's in the log at that point.

Up again at 0930, I was able to run a few VK's and ZL's on my own
frequency on 40 (it is useful to remember that they can transmit in
our part of the band and many prefer to do so rather than working
split) before going to 20 at 1100.  Oh yes, I took time out to work
VK3DZM on 80.  Don was working split on 3694 and listening on 3785
and it worked well.  It is useful to remember that although the
VK's have a tiny window from 3797-3800, that is usually occupied by
JA's and W's during contests so it is a good idea to listen between
3690 and 3700 for VK's.  Also the split operation makes it easier
to tell who the VK's are coming back to!  The ZL's, on the other
hand, can use the whole band up to 3800, as can, of course, the US
Pacific islands.  I found WH6R and KH8AL between 3750 and 3790 for
easy catches.

The run on 20 was better than the first morning but when several
UN8's plus JH5FXP called in at around 1230 GMT I began to think of
a last-ditch attempt to work my friends at HS1AZ.  So telling
myself that a single-minded attempt to pile up points should not
get in the way of having maximum fun, I broke off my run at 1230
GMT to begin a full-court press to hunt for HS1AZ.  Up over the
North Pole went the 6-el Telrex and the entire band between 14150
and 14350 was scoured for them.  A DU, an EX and a YB were duly
heard and worked, but the HS was nowhere to be found.  On a hunch
I figured I'd look below 14150 and sure enough, there they were on
14130.  So one call on CW and we agreed to move to 14270 where I
finally made my HS1AZ QSO.  Forty minutes of run time were lost but
the satisfaction of tracking down the desired station was well
worth it.  Man was born to be a hunter and the old juices still
flow even in the days of instant packet gratification!

Back to 15 to run Europeans but number one TS-830-S began to have
an intermittent drive problem -- rig comes on but no drive to the
final -- so I swapped out for number two TS-830-S which I don't
like as well because the receiver is not as hot.  I guess 10 opened
well to Europe briefly the second morning but I was too busy on 15
and 20 to notice.  I finished up the contest between 2145 and the
end by running 120 Europeans on 40.  As always I honor the IARU
Region I band plan by finding a listening frequency above 7040 when
running into that part of the world.  It makes it a little rougher
but QSOs can be made.  TA4ZM, OH0MM  and JY9QJ were nice surprises
during this opening, OH0MM being my only Scandinavian on 40 during
the entire contest.

Bring on the SS!

                                          Very 73,

                                        Fred Laun, K3ZO

From: floydjr@Interpath.com (Jimmy R. Floyd) (Jimmy R. Floyd)
Subject: CQWW SSB 96 I

CQWW SSB 1996
RAW SCORES

Compiled by
WA4ZXA
(floydjr@interpath.com)

Date Posted: 10/28/96

CALL            HRS       SCORE       QSO'S     PTS    ZONES     DX

S/OP/HP/Unassisted

YB1AQS          34     3,247,398      2433     7029     119     343
9K2HN                  1,728,520      1951     5470      77     239
OI6KZP                   337,940       676     1108      66     239
DL4YAO          15       139,499       387      701         199

KM9P            44     3,610,724      2110              137     461
AA7VY                    334,361       549     1399      82     157
N9ITX/7         18       270,787       416     1133      72     167
N5CT/7                    43,639       110      289      97      54

S/OP/LP/Unassisted

WA4ZXA          43     1,449,225      1105     3051     111     364
WA7BNM                   672,600       810               98     202
AA0SQ                    321,328       459     1208      74     192
AA1EY           30       302,588       438     1196      61     192

S/OP/Assisted

AA3B                   1,313,521       989     2777     101     372
N1CC/2          12       460,410       553     1545      78     220
KR4UJ                    319,580       405     1102      80     210
KM0L            16       314,461       444     1169      76     193

S/OP/QRP

KA1CZF                   158,148       828               48     143

Single Band

160M
VE7IN                      3,480       123      232       7       8

80M

40M
LA4O                       3,168        84       88       5      31

N4DVW                     64,790       214               29      81
K8UNP                     60,720       199      552      27      83
WA2BFW                    38,808       161               23      65

20M

15M
WA2QNW   HP             219,780        554               27     108
KJ6HO    LP              90,155        345      949      27      68

10M

Multi/Single

CDA0CQ                4,605,720       3716    10966     102     318

W1FJ                  6,733,585       3376     9592     144     558
KF2ET                 5,755,290       2900     8341     143     547
K8LX                  2,950,000       1843              125     438
NC0P                  1,700,226       1138              133     423
K3MD                  1,662,282       1135              130     428
WA0PUJ                1,363,688       1225              121     336
W4ATC                                  798               92     294

Multi/Multi

N4ZC                  6,443,528       3335              147     542
KS9K                  4,817,949       2811     7311     144     515
NQ4I                  4,541,284       2901     7118     145     493
KG6LF                   688,564        810     2179      97     219

OPERATORS LIST

CALL                 OPERATORS

Multi/Single

W4ATC           KS4XG,KT4LD,N3QYE
K8LX            K8LX,WA8ZDT
WA0PUJ          WA0PUJ,KC0ZC,WB0O
NC0P            NC0P,KF0H,WA0FLS,WO0V,WD0GVY,WA0ETC,WR0G
KF2ET           AA2DU,KE2NL,WR2I,K2UU
CDA0CQ          ZS6WPX,ZS6BRZ,WJ2O
K3MD            K3MD,N3PUR,KD3SF,AA3AZ

Multi/Multi

KG6LF           KG6LF,WA6QQF
NQ4I            NQ4I,K4BAI,WI4R,KF4CI,KQ4HC,KM4HH,NZ3I,K4MZU,KJ4FW
KS9K            KS9K,KA9FOX,K9GS,K9PW,NB9C,N9AU,WB9TIY,WE9V

This is the first posting from this weekend so be gentle with the
flames.

73's Jim

From: jesposit@sctcorp.com (Joe Esposito) (Joe Esposito)
Subject: JRC JST-245

I received my new JST-245 one week before CQ WW so I was anxious to
try it out. I didn't plan an all out effort so I'm not sibmitting a
log. During my time of operating, I concentrated on 15 and 20 to work
new DXCC countries for my country-band totals.

I'm happy to report that the new rig worked great. Its QRM-prevention
features are good and its layout of controls was easy to use making
the contest fun to operate. I ended up with 64 countries and 18 zones
on 15 and 69 countries and 24 zones on 20. All in all it was a great
experience. I know that many of you have been wondering about the new
rig. Take my word for it that its well worth the money.

Joe, K2YJL

P.S. The antenna was a F12 C4 at 46 feet.

From: silver@ax.apc.org (Carlos Augusto S. Pereira) (Carlos Augusto S. Pereira)
Subject: Low Dipoles x Half Slopers

Hello fellows,

After the contest I realized that my Butternut HF2V does not work on 80 meters
(on 40 is OK). A friend of mine (PY1ROG) with a low dipole and pratically the
same power was able to listen and be listened much better than I. He did help
me to evaluate the situation (he realizes also that on 40 meters his low dipole
couldn't work properly, I work more countries and zones than him)

I decided to change my antenna system on 80 meters to a wire antenna, a low
dipole or a half sloper. Which one do you recommend? Please don't send messages
saying " a full size 80 meters vertical with beverages is a much better
system", I do know that! But I live in a very limited city lot and I have a
mast 12 meters over the ground for a new antenna. In my opinion the half-sloper
is good for tx but has poor rx compared to the dipole. Is it right?

After this contest I could increase my country score on 15 (from 89 to 115), on
10 (from 36 to 50), on 20 (from 54 to 96), on 40 (from 60 to 70) but 80 meters
(from 29 to 30) only P49 new on 80 and I'm not sure if he got my call correctly.

If I concetrate my efforts on 40 and 10 next CQWW CW, perhaps I'll be very
close to the 4BDXCC but the award is 5BDXCC!

Any comments?

Thank you in advance and 73,

Carlos - PY1CAS

From: aa4lr@radio.org (Bill Coleman) (Bill Coleman)

>From:        Jerry Fray, jefray@comsys.net

Glad you enjoyed the contest! You did better than I, with only 25 Qs
total in 3 hours and 30 minutes of operating time.

>--     The ONLY thing that truly bothered me during the contest were
>stations calling CQ Contest and when I went back to them replied (or
>changed their CQ) "sorry DX only".....you KNOW who you are guys! Seems
>like the purpose of the contest was to make contacts NOT just DX
>contacts.....or am I missing something here????

Yes, you are missing something. Check the rules. The scoring for the CQWW
states that contacts with the SAME country count ZERO points. So, when
the big guns are calling CQ contest, they are looking for stations in
other countries, not their own.

However, contacts with the SAME country DO count for multiplier credit.
So, there's usually a  problem here. Sometimes, you might need to contact
a big gun in order to get a multiplier. However, he's probably not
interested in working you, because he already has worked someone else for
the same multiplier.

Best rule of thumb for working a zero point station is to listen
carefully. If he is running stations somewhere, try again later. If he is
calling CQ with no takers, give him a call. Most likely, he'll work you
and move on. If he ask for DX only, don't argue, just politely move on.

Took me a while to figure this out, too.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR           Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
Quote: "Not in a thousand years will man ever fly!"
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

From: aa8u@voyager.net (AA8U) (AA8U)

At 09:47 AM 10/28/96 -0500, you wrote:

>       Just a few random thoughts on my first CQ WW SSB effort. I REALLY
>enjoyed it!!!

>--     The ONLY thing that truly bothered me during the contest were
>stations calling CQ Contest and when I went back to them replied (or
>changed their CQ) "sorry DX only".....you KNOW who you are guys! Seems
>like the purpose of the contest was to make contacts NOT just DX
Hi Jerry and all on this reflector,

I'm pleased you enjoyed this contest. I hope you come back in future years
and enter the Sweeps as well....where domestic contacts count. hi

As for the "big guns" blowing you off with the "sorry DX only".....this is
unfortunate. I feel it is just plain RUDE to do this to what would be a
non-counter for them but could very well be a ZONE mult for you. It likely
takes only about one second longer to exchange a "kb9mu fi ni 4" than to
blow you off.

Every decent "big gun" that truely merits the title would just politely and
quickly work you and move on. Those that are so RUDE are not really "big
guns", they only THINK they are! Big difference........there is a lot more
to being a "big gun" than rate/score.

Finally, they do know who they are, they just don't know what they are, really.

73,
Bruce
aa8u@voyager.net

From: broz@csn.net (John Brosnahan) (John Brosnahan)
Subject: 40M Flagrant Violatons

I have a moral/ethical question about operating on 40M phone.  I don't approve
of transmitting outside the US band, not even for the common "listen up"
transmissions that I often hear, so we don't do it.  And we pride ourselves on
trying to do a contest without ever making a mistake on the wrong VFO
(although I
know it can happen by accident).

But what I kept hearing from a prominent 40M competitor is extended,
unidentified,
simplex transmissions below 7100 asking for DX stations to find him mults,
explaining
how to do split in contests, etc.  These were 2-way qsos lasting a number of
minutes
on many occasions.  The unnamed competitor would then give a US frequency
and continue his conversations with the DX and properly ID.  It was all very
clear
and blatant.

The operator at my station confronted the party on the air (in the US band) and
the issues raised did not seem to concern the out-of-band operator.  Other
stations in the area also heard the many out-of-band operations on numerous
occasions
and have commented to me privately on it.

What does one do in such a case?  It seems like it violates the
certification that
one has operated within the rules of his license that is suppossed to be
sent with an
entry.  We did not tape record the numerous incidents since my operator was
out to
compete (fairly) in a contest and not to spend his time documenting others
who were
not interested in competing fairly.

Thoughts and observations would be appreciated.

73  John  W0UN

From: 71111.260@CompuServe.COM (Hans Brakob) (Hans Brakob)

Chuck said:

>>You missed something, Jerry!  Contacts in the same country count zero
>>points.  (I was one of the ones...)

>>Chuck, KE5FI

And you got all your multipliers from DX stations,
not from zero-point US stations?

de Hans, K0HB

From: aa4lr@radio.org (Bill Coleman) (Bill Coleman)
Subject: Little Pistol -> Big Gun

>From:        George C. Cook, george@epix.net
>
>This is in response to the fellow complaining about his 100 watts /
>tribander / Dipole situation.

Wow! What I would give to have that setup again!

>So you want to jump up and wrestle with the big guns eh?  Me too!  I want to
>turn to the biggest of the big guys and on an equal footing say "Nice Score"
knowing full
>well that I had edged them out.

I got a chance to try the "big gun" station last year. KM9P (thanks,
Bill!) was kind enough to loan me the use of his mountaintop superstation
for SSB SS.

Picture this - the best station I'd ever operated had dipoles and a
tribander at 35 feet. At KM9P, there were stacked antennas on 3 bands,
two radios and computerized voice keying.

It was a real learning experience. Despite a small technical problem on
80m (which wasn't Bill's fault), I discovered that there really were a
lot of skills I needed to develop. I had more station that I knew how to
use effectively. I made a good score, but not enough to beat my personal
best in SS.

The lesson here is that a good operator makes the best use of the station
hardware he has at hand. That goes equally well for little pistol and big
gun stations.

The whole experience rekindled my passion for contesting. I try to put in
a little bit of time in contests, even with a mere dipole, knowing that
each bit of experience will pay off later, when I can once again afford
to put up that tribander.

--

The rest is good advice, George.

From: snace@tdrss.wsc.nasa.gov (Steven Nace) (Steven Nace)
Subject: 20 Meter Split?

>Was surprised last weekend to hear a prominent W7 land station working
>split on
>20 meters during the CQ WW SSB "CONTEST".
>Split frequency operation is already practiced on 40m & 75m, might 20m be
>next?
>Fred Fubar, K9VV

Back in the 80s when contesting at K5RC's, we would CQ at 21201 and listen
down 5 for VK novices. Yes, it worked.

de KN5H

From: desmith@telalink.net (Doug Smith) (Doug Smith)

At 09:58 AM 10/28/96 -0600, you wrote:
>KB9NMU:>-- <snip>      The ONLY thing that truly bothered me during the
>contest were
>>stations calling CQ Contest and when I went back to them replied (or
>>changed their CQ) "sorry DX only".....

>Hey, big fish:
>        Some of us need a Zone 3, 4 or 5 for a mult on a particular band.

Or, USA for a country multiplier.  (I forgot to work the US on 20, 40, 80,
and 160!)

73 Doug
Douglas E. Smith W9WI/4           desmith@Telalink.Net
1385 Old Clarksville Pike         72777.3143@compuserve.com
Pleasant View, TN 37146-8098

From: 71111.260@CompuServe.COM (Hans Brakob) (Hans Brakob)
Subject: SOA

Just to douse the fire with fresh gasoline, the following quote
caught my eye:

Apply it to contesting via the cluster, working DX via the nets,
or other "assisted" endeavors.

      "Un chasseur sachant chasser chasse sans son chien."

High-school French translation:

      "A hunter who knows how to hunt hunts without his dog."

73, de Hans, K0HB