CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] WPX

Subject: [CQ-Contest] WPX
From: AD6E@aol.com (AD6E@aol.com)
Date: Thu May 29 15:43:05 1997
>How come Americans needs a own point system to operate CQ WW contest?
>I?ve tried to figure this one out for 30 years but still no go, guess I?m
>stupid.
>Still they dont seem to be on a equal basis since they get their software
>gurus to programm the soft to cut and leave out numbers.
>Instead of getting 3 points for a DX QSO I hereby propose that Americans
>get 4 points for a DX QSO, that would level with the point advantage for
>QSOs within the same continents.
>
>de Jim SM2EKM

Jim, I presume your talking about WPX?

I havn't been able to figure out the scoring reasons either.  This year, I
changed my
operating habits and tried to operate in a way that would make all the
non-NA stations happy.. and to abide by the implied rules(ie: zero point
rule): That being that WPX is indeed really a DX contest and not a
prefix contest.  Therefore, I did NOT answer any CQ from US stations
other than a few local club members.  I also refrained from calling CQ
except for a couple of very good JA runs.  EU was so weak here that all
I could do was S&P a little.  Calling CQ towards EU would have only
resulted in a lot of US QSOs and very few EUs. I mowed the lawn instead.

The end result is that I made about half my normal QSO total, and I had
about half the fun as I would otherwise.

To really level the playing field, the zero point rule should be expanded to
cover
any QSO within ones own contenent. Then Jim can have half as much fun next
year...  just as I did this year.

Next year I'll go back to just having fun....  screw the rules.

73, Al
flames to:   AD6E@aol.com