CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Fw: [RRDXA] E73M - I have cheated

To: "David Gilbert" <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>, <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Fw: [RRDXA] E73M - I have cheated
From: "Radio K0HB" <kzerohb@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Aug 2011 20:23:27 -0000

-----Original Message-----
From: David Gilbert

> What percentage of the population of any city in the world would
> remain civil and honest if there were no police?  What percentage
> of the people or companies in the world would file honest tax returns
> if there was no oversight and no penalties for fraud?  What percentage
> of the people in the world violate drug or morality laws?  And those
> are all situations with serious welfare and social consequences.

Yes, they are, and they affect the real lives of real people.

>Compare that to a ham radio contest .......

Which consists of a world-wide population of perhaps less than 5,000
hobbiests on any given weekend, playing electronic splatball with RF, an
activity which has no welfare or social consequences at all outside that
tiny universe of players, and very little consequence even there.

It seems to me that the incidence of "cheaters" is greatly overstated, and
that 99.9% of us could REALLY not care less.....  we're just taking time
away from our real lives to play with our radio.  Whether some guy in Italy
or New Jersey runs 5watts or 5kilowatts is a matter between him and his
conscience and has no impact at all on my enjoyment of the weekend.  I'm
just trying to see how many splats I can make.

73, Hans, K0HB